Axe-fx II on vocals yields GREAT things (sorry, no clips yet - but soon)

Hey guys,

So I finally got reamping working through USB with no issues on my mac. I set it up and am using an aggregate device as my output and my axe-ii as my input in Logic. Something I've been interested in for a while is how the effects section would stand up to treating vocals. No reverbs, really, as I'm super happy with having my set of Lexicon 'verbs, but mostly for seeing how drives, squashy parallel compression, modulation, etc would blend in well. Logic's effects aren't bad, but they could be a little more flexible and musical (especially chorus and flanger), in my little opinion.

There are several ways to go about doing this. I simply did the following:

1. Copied and pasted vocal line (we'll call this A from here on out) to an empty mono audio track in Logic (we'll call this B)
2. Changed track B output to output 3 (which I have set up in my DAW and Saffire mix control to route to the rear input of my Axe-II)
3. Set up an effects chain of all serial, 100% wet effects as follows: Compression, Digital Stereo Chorus, Digital Stereo Delay, Classic Enhancer
4. Create new audio track in Logic with inputs 1+2 (USB) and stereo out (Track C)
5. Record wet signal into Logic while monitoring track A.
6. Turn input of Track C off
6. Blend Track A + C together wherever you want.

The results are better than I anticipated - I'm digging it big time. In the long-run I'll probably set up a pre-fader Aux sends and change the bus outputs to send to the rear inputs of the Axe-fx. It all just boils down to workflow. I kind of like being able to simply copy and paste portions that I'd like to effect and let the audio trails hold on without having to automate. Experimenting with this black box is so much freaking fun now that I know what I'm doing with it!!!!!!

One of the reasons I want patch assignable inputs is to free up the sends and return for live vocal use. I'd love to have Axe II effects on my live vocals.

My father is a vocalist and is always asking me if he should get an ultra or standard for use with his vocals. Live and for recording use. Im just waiting for my money to be right and a good deal then he'll get an early/late birthday gift.

I actually perform with a mixer in from of my Axe. Viola, Guitar, and a mic for vocals. Do some amazing tone singing with it!

This is great to hear. I wonder if it is safe to run a dynamic microphone in to the input 1 or 2 on the back for recording vocals direct through Axe FX II. Or do we need to run mic in to a mixer, then mixer through Axe? If i record vocals direct through Axe, i may get rid of my Line6 UX1..

You can use this layout to run a perfectly seperated stereo path through the axe:

Code:
INPUT -------------------- guitar effects ------------------------ OUTPUT

[RTN] ----- vocal effects ------ [FXL] -- [SND]

Make sure [FXL] bypass setting is set to "Mute". Also Make sure [SND] is not connected to OUTPUT and [RTN] not connected to INPUT.
However, a word of warning:
Never unplug a cable from Input 2 while the Axe is powered on. Make sure the cables seat tight and can't be moved out by accident, as this will short the FXL block in the way that Out2 gets routed to In2 immediately and create an infinite feedback loop. Also, always turn up the volume slowly, to avoid damage to your speakers if something feedbacks out of nowhere.

Other than that this solution works fine. Used it in several occasions. Just go sure theres always a cable connected to Input 2 and Output 2.

I gigged with The Axe FX II as a live vocal processor using the the fx loop section of the amp for about 5 shows. It just didn't cut it... I used a Focusrite mic preamp into input 2 of the unit and tried all sorts of techniques. Eqs, compressions, reverbs and delays were actually pretty nice but the truth is the axe fx was just not designed to be a vocal processor (I think even stated by one the engineers somewhere on this forum) and so you run into things like feedback and weird tonal qualities (at least in my experience).

Just trying to give fair warning to anyone thinking about going down that similar road! I recently acquired a tc helicon voicelive rack and that thing does everything I want it to and more! The Axe remains to be my main guitar rig \m/

Back
Top Bottom