Axe FX II on Mesa FX30

GibsonLesPaul

Experienced
Hi
I'm considering heavily to purchase an Axe FXII, but my question is.
Will it work ok over my tube amplifier Mesa Boogie FX 30 + extra 12inch speaker cabinet.
How are your experiences to put the Axe into an Tube Combo amp?
I imagine the speaker simulation will not be used?
And the amp simulation will be used in that setup?
So do I miss a lot, is the sound still supreme?

Thanks in advance!
S.

I have a Mesa F30 - I think that's what you mean. It's a great amp. But I have tried running my Axe-Fx II into it in various ways and don't find it a happy match. Maybe I quit too soon, but I really did want it to work. I'd plug back into my studio monitors or active PA speaker and all was right with the world again. The Mesa is for sale.

There are folks here that run into guitar amps regularly - hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Although its not exactly the same, I have plugged my Axe II into a Mesa Roadster head's FX return and LOVED the results. The Axe II works extremely well paired with a tube combo or head. You will probably have to bypass the cabinet sims, but may or may not choose to bypass the power amp modeling (I personally like it on - just set to a very low setting when playing through a tube amp). It is definitely worth trying out.

My main gigging rig while I was in my hard rock band was my Ultra through the FX return of a Mesa F-50 thru a Mesa 4x12. All my presets had a split to an FX Loop block before the cab, which went from the Axe to the Mesa on stage, while the normal output (with cab sims) ran direct to FOH. I also had a G-Major in the rack for backup. This way, I had triple-redundancy; if the Axe went out, I could use the Mesa + G-Major. If the Mesa went out, I could just rely on the direct line to FOH. And in a worst-case scenario, if FOH went out, I could crank my stage rig and do an instrumental show all night. :)

I have a Mesa F30 - I think that's what you mean. It's a great amp. But I have tried running my Axe-Fx II into it in various ways and don't find it a happy match. Maybe I quit too soon, but I really did want it to work. I'd plug back into my studio monitors or active PA speaker and all was right with the world again. The Mesa is for sale.

There are folks here that run into guitar amps regularly - hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Yeah, I ment an F30 of course ....
Why you didn't find it a happy match? Can you describe?
S

Although its not exactly the same, I have plugged my Axe II into a Mesa Roadster head's FX return and LOVED the results. The Axe II works extremely well paired with a tube combo or head. You will probably have to bypass the cabinet sims, but may or may not choose to bypass the power amp modeling (I personally like it on - just set to a very low setting when playing through a tube amp). It is definitely worth trying out.
That sounds promising! :)
Why not a 4 cable setup?

My main gigging rig while I was in my hard rock band was my Ultra through the FX return of a Mesa F-50 thru a Mesa 4x12. All my presets had a split to an FX Loop block before the cab, which went from the Axe to the Mesa on stage, while the normal output (with cab sims) ran direct to FOH. I also had a G-Major in the rack for backup. This way, I had triple-redundancy; if the Axe went out, I could use the Mesa + G-Major. If the Mesa went out, I could just rely on the direct line to FOH. And in a worst-case scenario, if FOH went out, I could crank my stage rig and do an instrumental show all night. :)
well since i'm playing mostly rock it sounds like I'm gonna do pretty well with my tube combo.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom