AXE FX II, New Buyer Questions

Greg H

Inspired
Ok, so I should be buying a new Axe FX II hopefully on Friday or Monday (I am on the wait list) and I have a few (ok, lots of) questions.

What are people’s thoughts on the extended warranty?

It sounds like I should get Cal Lab. Should I get it now or wait for the upgrade?

Should I order the EPROM? From what I read it sounds like that’s the most common spare part.

What are the thoughts on Cab Packs or Ownhammer. Should I plan on getting them as soon as I have the unit or is there more then enough to confuse me for a while without them?

I own a Behringer FCB 1010 footboard and figured I would try that for a while before I give up and buy the MFC-101.

I am going to be using the unit at home and interfacing it to my computer (PC, Win 7, 64 bit). I am not going to worry about additional amplification at first. I have some monitors to use until I plunge into FRFR and a solid state amp.

What should I be looking for that I have not mentioned?

Thanks for reading this and for any ideas or suggestions that you have.

Greg

You don't need Cab Lab until you get Ownhammer or other IRs. When you download firmware v13 you'll get samples of the Ownhammer IRs, use that as a judgement if you feel like you need to buy more. You can load these with Axe Edit, no need to buy Cab Lab for that.

Unless you're going to play loud, there's no need to purchase FRFR monitors really. Decent speakers and decent headphones will get you a long way.

I don't have the EEPROM, my understanding is that you only need this in the very unlikely scenario that the system doesn't start after a firmware upgrade. If you get into gigging and need your axe fx professionally I would look at backups but I'd look at backups for everything in that case. Not a point fix for a point problem.

There's posts on the forum on how to setup that FCB foot controller. If you search you'll find something. I went straight for the MFC and haven't looked at any alternatives.

The most important thing you can do though is to load the latest firmware when you get the unit. And then brace yourself. The Axe Fx 2 is a big thing. It's easy to get lost in all parameters. Don't fiddle with any controls you're not exactly sure what they do. A lot of people only change basic amp parameters and get fantastic tones. If you're struggling, changing advanced parameters is not going to help things unless you know exactly what you're doing. Also, you're likely going to learn a lot about guitar tone if you spend any time in the forum. Like with anything learning lots means greater appreciation and also that you're likely going to struggle with new concepts as you would learning anything new.

At the end of the day though. Getting the Axe Fx 2 will likely make you a much better guitar player. It's soo much fun spending hours and hours just playing. Trying out different amps. Looking a what others are using, both in the AF2 and the real world and trying to emulate. Looking at rig rundowns and trying to build a replica in the AF2. Reading about obscure boutique amps you wouldn't get to try normally and they are just there in the AF2.

Welcome!!!

Re: Cab Packs
Yes there's plenty to audition in the basic unit. The ultra res included with FW 13 give a pretty good sampling, too.
IME the cab IR is pretty much the make or break for any given tone you're after.
Take time and listen to all of them. Some will stand out. Go back around.

Then, buy more ;) By then you'll know more what generally works for you and you can go to those types first, before you try the hundreds of other options.

Unless you're going to play loud, there's no need to purchase FRFR monitors really. Decent speakers and decent headphones will get you a long way.

Welcome to the addiction!!

I agree with everything said except this. I was playing through meh studio monitor speakers and even though I'm not in a band situation, when I went to FRFR I was BLOWN AWAY. I got one powered 1x12 wedge (XiTones ROCK) and OMG, the sound was HUGE. Not loud per se, but you could hear every nuance.

Food for thought. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Ron

I have the FCB1010 and was using it only to move thru patches, so patch one was bay1/patch1 on the FCB1010... bay2/patch 1 is 11 on the FX2. I got the second expression pedal to do autowah so if the toe is down on the FCB, no wah until you move it. The is a eprom upgrade on the fcb1010 which will allow you to have the bottom row pedals move thru your patches and then the top row to turn on/off effects... pretty cool thing...bring up patch one and then press on pedal 6 to add delay to it, or take it off. Of course, pedal 1 is my volume pedal. It took a little time to figure things out but I found some youtube vids where some guy explained how it was done.

Good luck and all I can say is you will be overwhelmed at first, and may not like all any of the default patches... But once you play around and start to build things from scratch, you will feel more comfortable. Keep up-to-date on things by checking out this board daily to hear what others are doing.

Good luck!

joe...

Thanks everyone for the information. It is very helpful.
I am expecting to be overwhelmed for a while (and feel overwhelmed just reading the forum).

I am planning to go FRFR in the future but wanted to get started before I committed to an amplifier or speaker.

I have enough experience programming MIDI to know that it probably won't go smoothly. But there is a lot of good information here on getting the FCB1010 working so hopefully I will get something working.

Anyone have any thoughts on the extended warranty? How expensive do repairs tend to be? Reading the forum tends to color my view a bit, sense a lot of the people asking questions are the ones having problems. One is not likely to start a thread stating "I have no problems with my Axe FX" so it is hard to judge the number of happy customers (other then by the numbers of "listen to this " threads). :)

Thanks for any input.

Anyone have any thoughts on the extended warranty? How expensive do repairs tend to be? Reading the forum tends to color my view a bit, sense a lot of the people asking questions are the ones having problems. One is not likely to start a thread stating "I have no problems with my Axe FX" so it is hard to judge the number of happy customers (other then by the numbers of "listen to this " threads). :)
I'd say spare the money if you don't use the Axe on a commercial basis. For the casual 1-gig-per-month or bedroom player, chances are good you will never have an issue with the Axe.

The three most common hardware defects of the Axe (as long as you handle it with care) are:
1) the display is flickering/has no contrast/dead --> this can be fixed by re-seating the ribbon cable on the back of the display
2) you fried the expansion port by accidently putting an USB cable inside
3) the CMOS battery voltage is low --> you can replace it on your own
4) the EPROM got fried for whatever reason

As you can see, three of those things can be avoided by paying attention or can get fixed DIY style. And the fourth issue is extremely rare.

About the cabs and IRs:
Don't bother with it yet. There's so many included IRs already included that you won't be able to handle all that freedom unless you are a power-user.
If you need Ultra-res cabs, there's plenty of great free IRs you can download (like those guitarhack impulses) before getting those ownhammers or the producer packs.

I would recommend for the 1st while you have the Axe FX II, to not buy any cab packs. The factory included IR's and the free Ultra Res™ IR's are more than sufficient to get you started. You can also make your own Ultra Res™ IR's very easily if you own some cabs.

About the warranty. It's a computer. It's man made. IMO that was enough for me to buy the extended warranty.

If you already have the FCB1010 and know how to program it, setting it up with the Axe is simple. I was using my FCB1010 with a TC Electronics G-Major 2 and TBH that was harder to program than the Axe FX II, or I should say more annoying, not really harder. Seriously though, moving up to the MFC-101 with some Mission Engineering pedals is the way to go if you are going to be performing regularly, but honestly though, the FCB1010 is sufficient for the home user IMO.

Thanks Severed.
I figure I would move up to the MFC-101 but I already have the FBC1010 so I thought I would give it a try first. Also, that way I could avoid the expense for just a bit. :)
I see your point on the warranty. I have bought extended warranties on other gear and I have not used it yet. But if I don't buy it this time, that will probably be the time I need it. :)

I would order the EPROM. Spare yourself the wait. And never update with the MFC connected.

As recommended above, check out the Xitones. I have 2 passive 2x12s (which I'm selling now that I'm using CLRs, in order to downsize my rig). Just one can be used in stereo, or mono. Having just one of those with a two channel power amp is an excellent solution for home stereo monitoring. And, they're great for music too. I only bought two so I could use them as PA speakers, and they worked very well for that purpose. The Xitones also get deeper bass response than the CLRs, which can be really nice.

Thanks Pima1234.
I think I will order the EPROM. It is nice to have spares and I have seen a few people say that they needed it.

Thanks Severed.
I figure I would move up to the MFC-101 but I already have the FBC1010 so I thought I would give it a try first. Also, that way I could avoid the expense for just a bit. :)
I see your point on the warranty. I have bought extended warranties on other gear and I have not used it yet. But if I don't buy it this time, that will probably be the time I need it. :)

No problem man. That's the thing with opinions, they are only just opinions lol.

I forgot to add, I'd pick up a decent set of headphones, like the Beyer Dynamic 880's or 990's (they run around $180.00) you'll be much happier than using budget monitors, and when you do decide to take the plunge into FRFR your patches will translate better.

finally.... have you read the manual? yea? good read it again, and also read all the other mini manuals. Trust me on this, it will save you so much time. The manuals are very well done and explain things very well without going too in-depth. Anyways, did I say read the manuals? LOL seriously though, spend the time now while you are waiting, then when you get the Axe, you can spend less time figuring it out and more time playing and enjoying it cause you'll know how to use it.

Hi Greg, I'm a pretty new user too. Here's my experiences per your questions:

It sounds like I should get Cal Lab. Should I get it now or wait for the upgrade?
Should I order the EPROM? From what I read it sounds like that’s the most common spare part.
What are the thoughts on Cab Packs or Ownhammer. Should I plan on getting them as soon as I have the unit or is there more then enough to confuse me for a while without them?

These are all really the same question in a way, that being "what extra goodies should I just plan on buying because I won't be able to live without them anyhow?" I would say get comfy with the unit first, then pick up what you feel is lacking down the road, and there are a lot of great free IRs out there, too... just something to keep in mind.
That said, for me personally, I picked up OH and have been trying my hardest to not need/want Cab Lab. I think FW13 is going to push me over on that one though.

Logically, if you're buying new, don't buy an EPROM until your warranty is over? Unless you have extenuating circumstances of which I am unaware (i.e., you live in Antartica). I bought used (no warranty) and haven't had any trouble. YMMV.

I own a Behringer FCB 1010 footboard and figured I would try that for a while before I give up and buy the MFC-101.

The MFC's are hard to beat. I know a lot of people love their LF's. I went cheap, as I am not a "power user," and like yourself, I already had a decent MIDI footswitch (L6 POD HD500 - built in expression too) that runs new for about half the price of an MFC and does everything I need it to. Just to be clear, the MFC is a nearly infinitely better product, but if you're only doing basic switching the HD500 might be worth looking into if your FCB1010 ever fails you.

I am going to be using the unit at home and interfacing it to my computer (PC, Win 7, 64 bit). I am not going to worry about additional amplification at first. I have some monitors to use until I plunge into FRFR and a solid state amp.

I did the same thing with no trouble. When you're ready to jump FRFR, there are a LOT of guys around here with way more advice than I can give, but I went Matrix GT1000FX w/ passive floor monitors. Finding decent passives was the hardest part for me (still not really happy).

What should I be looking for that I have not mentioned?

The only things that come to mind are strictly utilitarian, rack case maybe? Cables, etc. I think you will be better served having the unit first and planning from there. It's tough to get a clear picture of its capabilities without diving into the manual as well. It is HIGHLY suggested reading, of course.

Good luck and enjoy it!

I may have skipped over it but I didn't see any replies talking about AxeChange. On the subject of Cabs, there are many really good ones available for free. If you are interested, I will put together my favorites and send them to you.

Thanks Rotti.
It is helpful to get the experiences of someone who went through this recently. What you are saying makes sense to me. I am also thinking about the Matrix GT1000. There are a lot of happy users here on the forum and it looks like a reasonable price for quality gear. I will get a little experience with the unit first.

Thanks carloszeke.
I have looked at the AxeChange but not having the Axe FX II yet, it was something to think about in the future. Now, I am closer to having the unit.
I would interested in what you could put together when you have time. I am sure it would be very helpful.
Thanks.

The extended warranty is probably not necessary unless your AxeFX II is going to live a hard life, such as regular gigging, touring, etc. I had an out of warranty repair from Fractal and they were very prompt with the service and communication and reasonable on the repair. Ultimately, it all comes down to you comfort level. If the extended warranty helps you sleep better, then get it. I once spent $400 on an extended warranty for a Pioneer Elite HDTV that ended up being wasted money. At the time, I wanted the TV, but was a bit concerned about Pioneer's financial troubles. My wife would be not happy if I spent $2500 on an HDTV (this was in 2009) for a company that might not be around to honor the warranty. So, it helped my comfort level.

Personally, I'd think hard about getting some good FRFR monitors. I consider FRFR pretty necessary to get the most from the AxeFX. I got 2 of the Atomic FRFR (tube) cabinets and am very happy. People seem to like the newer CLRs, too.

I downloaded the Producer Pack #3 with the UltraRes Ownhammer cabs and couldn't be happier. If you're already dropping a couple of grand on the AxeFX, you might as well grab the UltraRes pack while you're at it. You might as well take advantage of the latest capabilities the AxeFX II has to offer. Personally, I plan to convert all of my main presets to use Ownhammer UltraRes cabs once I get settled on the optimal amp/cab pairings for them. Eventually, I won't touch the factory cabs at all. Just remember that with the Ownhammer cabs, turn off any mic models; the mics are already baked into the Ownhammer cabs.

Last edited:
+1 to allard's statement about a pair of decent headphones. I feel that an absolutely HUGE part of what you can get with the Axe-FX II is a fantastic stereo image. I know there are those here who will disagree with me (especially gigging guitarists, which I'm not) but I believe that if you go mono, you're throwing away a tremendous amount of great information. Since everything I do is in the studio, I find it makes a big difference.

If you have headphones, you can practice any time of the day or night without bothering anyone. But I also believe it's worth getting *good* headphones, and I'm very partial to Grados. For economy, their SR60i ($79) or SR80i ($99) can't be beat; if you want to step up, the SR325is ($295) are glorious. I've been using my 325s for nearly 15 years, and when I dropped them and broke one of the gimbals, Grado fixed them for free.

I actually practice with their GS1000 series (over $1K when I got them) and a dedicated headphone amp; utter ecstasy, but even their entry level SR60i sounds fantastic. All the Grados are "open ear," which means they'll leak a little audio so that anyone else in the room can tell what you're playing, but in this context it really shouldn't matter.

I know this is more than a little off topic, but it's important that headphones not be treated as a throwaway part of the audio chain. I'm sure the other recommendations here are good as well, but as the Grados are a little off the beaten track and have brought me tremendous joy, I always like spreading the word when I can. You're gonna love the Axe-FX II!

Back
Top Bottom