Axe FX II Mark I - Screen Dimming

Lifestalker

Inspired
For the first time, I noticed my screen started to get very dim. It starts to fade after about 10-15 minutes of being on. Contrast is at the midpoint. Is there a good chance of me having a failing LCD? Any suggestions?

Anybody know the cost associated with LCD repair? Thanks!

Anybody know the cost associated with LCD repair? Thanks!

About 10 minutes of your time...provided you're comfortable with removing the lid of the Axe-Fx.

I had the same issue with my MK-I. After reading through some threads, I discovered it was most likely a loose ribbon cable. I recently re-wired my rack, so it was a perfect time to remove the Axe-Fx from the rack and fix the problem.

After you remove the screws on top, that hold the lid in place, carefully lift it up...the fan is attached to the lid and the power cable is plugged into the main chassis. In my case, the connector popped off, but it only plugs in one way.

Carefully remove and re-seat the ribbon cable that's plugged into the LCD PCB, on the inside, front face of the unit. Plug the fan back in, if necessary, put the lid on, tighten the screws and that's it.

It's been about a week for mine and the problem appears to be fixed!

Last edited:
About 10 minutes of your time...provided you're comfortable with removing the lid of the Axe-Fx.

I had the same issue with MK-I. After reading through some threads, I discovered it was most likely a loose ribbon cable. I recently re-wired my rack, so it was a perfect time to remove the Axe-Fx from the rack and fix the problem.

After you remove the screws on top, holding the lid in place, carefully lift it up...the fan is attached to the lid and the power cable is plugged into the main chassis. In my case, the connector popped off, but it only plugs in one way.

Carefully remove and re-seat the ribbon cable that's plugged into the LCD PCB, on the inside, front face of the unit. Plug the fan back in, if necessary, put the lid on, tighten the screws and that's it.

It's been about a week for mine and the problem appears to be fixed!

Thanks for the reply. I feel very comfortable giving it a try. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll be in touch with FAS support.

Reseated the PCB cable and neatly applied a very small strip of 3M Super 33+. Just enough to ensure there is no movement in the future.

I've been playing for roughly 45 minutes and there's no sign of dimming. The case isn't as warm as it was last night, so I'm going to give it more time before I find out if this resolved my issue.

Update - I've played for roughly 6 hours today (9/23) and the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks for the suggestion. For anybody else, Try Toopy14's DIY fix. Hopefully it does the same for you.

Last edited:
check the 2 grey ribbon cables that run from the main board to the front panel to see if they are properly seated. If they are I would then pull them off, one at a time and reseat them, this will help to remove any oxidation that might be causing the issue.

I had the same issue and this is the message i received from FAS. I rolled back all my presets and now the display problem is solved.

Toopy 14 - thank you very much. I've removed the grey ribbons and reattached. Don't need to leave my fx to get warm. I can see straight away that the problem has gone bye bye. LCD is clear as a bell! Top marks Toopy

FYI...it happened again, ie. the LCD went dim and was flickering. Not sure why, the Axe-Fx never goes anywhere, it just sits in my rack. Took it out of the rack, removed the cover, re-seated the ribbon cable and all is good again! :)

Back
Top Bottom