Axe FX II Mark 2 ...... reset / restore to Factory / Clean State ...... how to ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Our other guitarist just picked up a used Axe FX II Mark 2 and it is still running [from memory] FW 14 or 15 and the owner left all his Amp / Cab / EFX / Midi / Globals etc.... presets and settings in it ...... he had never even heard of "quantum" when we asked him if he had already flashed to it .... as he said he hadnt used it "for a while" ..... anyway

We are keen to get Quantum FW 1.06 on it and he doesnt want to keep anything the previous owner did or saved.

As such, we have D/L FW 1.06 -and- D/L the 1.06 Factory Presets and it is all set up with the PC and AxeEdit and Fractal Bot etc.....

To use his "computer terminology" ..... he wants to reset / restore all the factory defualts ..... and then install just FW 1.06 and the 1.06 Factory Presets

So ........

-> is there a quick / easy way to wipe / clear / reset to factory defaults everything ( amps, cabs, efx, global blocks, midi, i/o etc.... ) ?

-> is there a step-by-step guide [video maybe] on how to do this ?

Many thanks in advance.
Ben

Last edited:
0. Make full backup if you think you need it.

1. Load new FW
2. Utility -> System Reset
3. Load new factory presets

4. The user cab area doesn't get touched. If you want to wipe it. Clear the slots one by one using AxeEdit.

Take a scroll through the user cabs, you may find that he left some purchased cabs in there that you may want to keep.

There are 1.06 factory present banks available now ?

My bad terminology. The latest ones in the d/l area are for FW 18 or later [ incl. Quantum ] and contain A,B, C individual bank files, plus the "All Banks" file and they are dated March 19, 2015

1. Load new FW
4. The user cab area doesn't get touched. If you want to wipe it. Clear the slots one by one using AxeEdit.

Yep - thats what I'll do :)

Last question where I am a bit confused .... with FW 1.06, the Axe now has [around] 220 Amp Models and each of these has its own EFX and Cab etc .......... understood :)

So .... I presume that when a FW update is done - to say 1.06- the 220 Amp models and their corresponding EFX and Cabs etc.... are all written in to some sort of on-board ROM and that if I then do a " Utility -> System Reset " ... what I am then left with is an Axe with only the latest 1.06 Amps and EFX and Cabs with all these Amps, EFX and Cabs reset to Factory default settings (?)

I hope I have understood this correctly :)

Ben

@ben ifin

The Utility -> System Reset is standard procedure for initializing all global settings to their defaults.

The amp models / efx / factory cabs are all baked into the firmware.

Presets and user cabs are not changed when the firmware is re-flashed.

1. Load new FW

Correct, this order of procedure makes sense, if you install the new factory presets before the new firmware the axe may not recognize some blocks because they are new and unknown...first firmware and then the presets.

Back
Top Bottom