Axe FX II + Kemper together (Kemper in the Axe FX II FXLOOP), the ULTIMATE TONE R

SteelEdge

OK guys, here we go (drumroll):

I´m finally going to use the Axe and the Kemper together, using the Kemper in the FXLOOP of the Axe with the 4 cable method (thu I´m not sure if I need the 4th cable, I´ll let you know why some lines below and ask your oppinion).

Why have I taken this decission???

1 - I´ve tested that the Kemper sounds EXACTLY the same when run directly (Guitar--->Kemper----> DAW/Poweramp+cabinet) than when I use the Kemper in the Axe Fx II FXLOOP (Guitar----> Axe--->Kemper in the Axe FX II FXLOOP-----DAW/Poweramp+Cabinet).

Why am I saying something that should be obvious????. Well, when I tested the Axe and the Kemper 2 years ago, I noticed that the Kemper sounded different (better) when runned directly than when runned inside the Axe FX FXLOOP.Did a lot of tests, and no matter what I touched, adjusted or tried, the Kemper lost some of his "mojo" when run inside the Axe FX II FXLOOP.Believe me, I A/B´d a lot of times.I don´t know if the Axe has improved the connections of the FXLOOP block or whatever...is maybe is because in the test I made 2 years ago I was running the Axe by USB to my DAW and now I´m doing it thru the OUTPUT 1 to a M- AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO...is the only difference, I don´t know, maybe the USB interface "sucked" some of the Kemper tone....don´t really know, havent tried to do it thru USB again and test, maybe is just that I made a mistake two years ago when testing..... I will test that in the next days.

My test was, one track recording from the SPDIF OUT of the Kemper, another track recording the same signal BUT from the Axe OUTPUT 1 putting the Kemper in the Axe Fx II FXLOOP, blank preset with just one FXLOOP block, so, when I played the guitar connected to the Axe, the guitar was also going to the Kemper and, out from the Kemper SPDIF OUT directly to the DAW and another signal that was procesed by the Kemper and sent to the Axe FX II RETURN, so I could record both tracks at the same time, one recorded directly from the Kemper and another one recorded from the Axe FX II OUTPUT, being the Axe Fx II preset just a FXLOOP, so it was just the Kemper sounding thru the Axe FX Loop.

Both signals were IDENTICALLY, so, the AXE FX II FXLOOP doesn´t color the Kemper signal.

That was very very important for me, that was the main reason because I sold the Axe II 2 years ago, as far as it coloured my Kemepr siganl and couldn´t use both units together, I decided to stick with the Kemper and sell the Axe II.

2 - Now that I can have my beautiful / unaltered Kemper tones inside a FXLOOP block of the Axe FX II, I can use all the flexibility of the Axe FX in editing, also use all the wonderful Axe FX II presets / tones without giving up the Kemper tones.And also I´m able to add the wonderful Axe FX II efects to my favourite Kemper raw amp tones.Resuming, I can have the best of both worlds.I can get and MFC for the Axe and also control the Kemper MIDI THRU.I can make as many presets in the Axe FX as I want using this or that profile, all I have to do is put the FXLOOP block in the Axe (wich is really the Kemper) and assign the MIDI number of that preset to the desired Kemper Profile. EASY!!!!!.And what about "Mixing" and Amp+Cab Blocks of the Axe in paralel with a FXLOOP wich contains a killer Kemper Profile???? Two differents amp in STEREO, Kemper+Axe FX power!!!! Amazing possibilities here, I think I´m getting dizzy .......

3 - I can use that Axe FX II + Kemper "ULTIMATE TONE RIG", also known as the "RODNEY KING RIG" (Can't we all just get along?) directly to my DAW or even to a poweramp+Cabinet, disabling all Axe and Kemper Cabinet and poweramp sims off (yes, I know that the Kemper poweramp sims can´t be turned off, but they sound GREAT in my Mesa 20:20 anyway....)

Here is a pic of my connection in the back of both units using the 4 cable method:

1zlpu6p.jpg

This is how I use the 4 Cable Method....thu I think I can get ride of the RED cable, please guys, read what I do and help me with that question!

1- Guitar into the Axe FX II front INSTRUMENT INPUT

2- Axe FX II Output 1 (L unbalanced) into the Kemper Return input (RED cable)---> I think I can get rid of this cable, because I guess this one just takes the processed signal of the Axe (lets say a Axe FX II Presets with amp and cab) into the Kemper FX LOOP Return, so you could use the Axe FX II inside the Kemper FX LOOP and add effects or EQ or whatever with the Kemper....I don´t want to do that, I just wanna use the kemper inside the Axe FX II FXLOOP, so I can get rid of that cable, right???

3- Axe FX II Output 2 (L unbalanced) into the the Kemper Alternative Input ---> (Makes sense, that takes the MONO signal of the guitar to the Kemper for processing)

4- Kemper Main Outputs (L and R unbalanced) into the Axe2 FX Return (Input 2) (2 BLACK Cables)----> Kemper signal procesed back to the Axe FX II in STEREO, so yopu can use some of the Stereo posibilities of the Kemper.

5- Axe FX II Output 1 (L and R Balanced or TRS Unbalanced, your choice) into the M-Audio Card or the Poweramp Stereo Inputs.

I/O Settings Axe FX II in the Audio Menu:

Main Input Source- Analog (In 1)
Input 1 Left Select- FRONT
Input 1 Mode- LEFT
Input 2 Mode- STEREO
Output 1 Mode- STEREO
Output 2 Mode- L+R SUM

So....I guess this is it!.

I´m exhausted, whole day testing / trying, but I think I finally got it!!!!!

Share your thoughts / oppinions (and let me know if I´m right with my supposition about getting rid of the RED Cable!)

Peace!

P.S. Yes, I´m gonna get a 6U rack for putting this shit together.....

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you are doing this. Can you explain?

BTW, as an owner of both units, where do you fall in the Axe-FX II Vs. Kemper debate? What kind of music do you play? Thx.

I'm not sure why you are doing this. Can you explain?

You can get the background here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showpost.php?p=1084220

Resuming, I love both units, there are sounds in the Axe that you can't do in the Kemper and viceversa.

BTW, as an owner of both units, where do you fall in the Axe-FX II Vs. Kemper debate? What kind of music do you play? Thx.

There's no debate for me, both units are great, each have their pros and cons, I guess that if you can't have (or don't want) to have oith and want to chose one, the best unit would be the one that better fits your needs or the one that is better to your ears/taste (very subjetive...)

IMHO:

- The Kemper is great if you are looking for amazing amp tones, no tweaking, everything sounds great and just awesome profiles of the best amps ever, and just need little of effects.Also amazing tool if you are in a studio and want to have your best amps / recording rigs in one box, just like if you were recording with the real thing.

- The Axe is perfect for those who want complicated rigs, unlimited sonic possibilities and tweak your sound till you get that tone you wanted in your head.Best effects in the market hands down, wonderful flexibility / editor / dedicated footswitch, and winderful emulations that you can modify to your taste.

I mainly play 80's Hair Metal / Hard Rock covers with my band (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...s-my-80s-hair-metal-hard-rock-cover-band.html), but I also play a lot of U2 stuff at home, also like the classic tones of the blues.I have a big guitar collection and I'm very eclectic, love to play from The Beatles to Metallica, funky, rock, blues, pop....

What types of sounds can you not get with the Axe FX that you CAN in the Kemper? I'm interested in knowing...

I never said that there are sounds in one unit that you can't get with the other one....is simply a matter of taste.

For me, the Kemper deliver some fantastic raw amp tones, very recognisable classic sounds from very well known amps that I just like more than the Axe emulations of that amps (not all and not always) and are more easy to dial / find the sweet spot to my taste than in the Axe, that's all.

Well...Houston, we´ve got a problem....

My main point for hooking the Axe and the Kemper together was this statement:

1 - I´ve tested that the Kemper sounds EXACTLY the same when run directly (Guitar--->Kemper----> DAW/Poweramp+cabinet) than when I use the Kemper in the Axe Fx II FXLOOP (Guitar----> Axe--->Kemper in the Axe FX II FXLOOP-----DAW/Poweramp+Cabinet).

Well.....we gotta check that point again....

Today, I was testing again and adjusting levels, etc and I noticed a difference (very subtle) between the sound of the Kemper when the signal was directly from the Kemper to the Daw than when the Kemper was going thru the FXLOOP of the Axe FX II.

Last two days I tested with mainly high gain / distorted profiles, and didn´t notice any difference, but today, testing with cleans / ov erdrive tones of the Kemper, I heard tthis subtle difference.

My test was:

1- Guitar into the Axe FX II front INSTRUMENT INPUT

2 - Axe FX II Output 2 (L unbalanced) into the the Kemper Alternative Input

3- Kemper Main Outputs (L and R unbalanced) into the Axe2 FX Return (Input 2)

4- Axe FX II Output 1 (L and R Balanced or TRS Unbalanced, your choice) into the M-Audio Card or the Poweramp Stereo Inputs.

5 - Kemper SPDIF OUT into the M-Audio Card SPDIF IN

That way, the AXE FX II L/R Output is the guitar procesed thru the Kemper Profile, back to the Axe FX II in the FXLOOP and then sent to the DAW (nothing added), and the Kemper SPDIF OUT is the guitar processed thru the Kemper Profile DIRECTLY to the DAW via SPDIF, so no routing thru the Axe.

That way, I can record in real time both signals, the Kemper Profile thru the Axe FX II FXLOOP and the Kemper Profile directly from the Kemper.

Well, watching the recorded signal graphic in the REAPER, the Kemper thru the Axe FX II FXLOOP recorded track (Track 1) looks more compressed, less dynamic than the Kemper recorded directly (Track 2)Please, show your oppinions about that!:

ih0bxw.jpg

And this is the recorded track, Kemper thru Axe FX FXLOOP track is all panned to LEFT and the Kemper direct signal is all panned to RIGHT.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95443672/Axe L Kemper R.wav

I can hear the Axe track in the LEFT more "trebly/compressed" maybe than the Kemper in the RIGHT.

What would you think??

Do you think the Axe FX II FXLOOP colors the sound of the Kemper???

Do you think that maybe is because I´m using a SPDIF OUT in the Kemper and an XLR OUTPUT in the Axe FX II???

Am I getting obsessed with this???

Last edited:
I don't hear the difference you are referring to. In a mix you'd never hear a difference. And different doesn't necessarily mean worse. In the end, I think your playing mind games on yourself. You came into this with a bias and you keep allowing it to affect your judgment. At some point you have to move away from irrelevant issues and just play your guitar.

I don't hear the difference you are referring to. In a mix you'd never hear a difference. And different doesn't necessarily mean worse. In the end, I think your playing mind games on yourself. You came into this with a bias and you keep allowing it to affect your judgment. At some point you have to move away from irrelevant issues and just play your guitar.

Thanks Luke, maybe you are right, that why I was joking in my last question in the post...

The thing is that I can use both units separately, the main reason of hooking both units together was to get all the tones from both units, even mix 'em, without losing the Kemper sound/feeling when processed thru the Axe Fx II FXLOOP.

Maybe is a very subtle difference, maybe is the feeling when playing than the sound itself or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, that's why I wanted to share my impressionswith you and get some objetive oppinions.

I never said that there are sounds in one unit that you can't get with the other one....is simply a matter of taste.

For me, the Kemper deliver some fantastic raw amp tones, very recognisable classic sounds from very well known amps that I just like more than the Axe emulations of that amps (not all and not always) and are more easy to dial / find the sweet spot to my taste than in the Axe, that's all.

Not to be argumentative, but that's actually exactly what you said. "there are sounds in the Axe that you can't do in the Kemper and viceversa." (reference post #5 in this thread).

If that's not the case, can you clarify? I'm also just curious.

Thanks Luke, maybe you are right, that why I was joking in my last question in the post...

The thing is that I can use both units separately, the main reason of hooking both units together was to get all the tones from both units, even mix 'em, without losing the Kemper sound/feeling when processed thru the Axe Fx II FXLOOP.

Maybe is a very subtle difference, maybe is the feeling when playing than the sound itself or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, that's why I wanted to share my impressionswith you and get some objetive oppinions.

Then try reamping it, remove yourself from the equation.

Not to be argumentative, but that's actually exactly what you said. "there are sounds in the Axe that you can't do in the Kemper and viceversa." (reference post #5 in this thread).

If that's not the case, can you clarify? I'm also just curious.

Sorry, my bad, what I wanted to mean is that, for example, you want the "Where the streets have no name" sound...the Kemper CAN do it, but to my taste, the Axe nails better that sound.Also, for others U2 sounds with shimmer, the Kemper doesn't have yet that effect.

In the other side, for for example, if you want a good Soldano SLO100 sound, the profiles from Andy in the Kemper are unbeatable (again, for my taste/ears), you can replicate it with the Axe and get very close tweaking, but I like more the Kemper profile, and, what is very important to me, with instant access and no tweaking at all, just load the profile and there it is.

Then try reamping it, remove yourself from the equation.

Well, is the SAME guitar signal that goes in real time thru the Kemper and the Axe, is like the guitar signal would be reamped in real time for both units in different tracks.

I am wondering if the Axe could tone match every last "fantastic raw amp tones and classic amp tones in the Kemper" and then what would be the point of having both LOL? Not trying to be negative just curious is to why there would be any benefit worth the "cost of the Kemper" is all. I did find that prior to Firmware 10 or so of the Axe II that the Kemper did have better raw and classic tones, but I find that is not true any longer.

I am wondering if the Axe could tone match every last "fantastic raw amp tones and classic amp tones in the Kemper" and then what would be the point of having both LOL? Not trying to be negative just curious is to why there would be any benefit worth the "cost of the Kemper" is all. I did find that prior to Firmware 10 or so of the Axe II that the Kemper did have better raw and classic tones, but I find that is not true any longer.

Believe me, "to copy tones" is what the Kemper does best, and thu does a really good job with live amp rigs, and even profiling the Axe presets, there's still a subtle difference with the originals, at least when we talk about the Axe.When you profile an amp, the result is almost a clone tone with same response and dynamics.

I tried to profile some Axe FX II post V15 firmware presets with the Kemper (specially the guitarjon Metallica Tonematch patches) and thu the Kemper gets really really close, there's something in the Axe (maybe the A/D D/A converters) that the Kemper doesn't perfectly match.

In the opposite way, when you try to tonematch a Kemper tone/profile with the Axe, it doesn't get so closer as the profiler does when profiling the Axe.Thu the Axe get similar sound, the response and dynamics are different, believe me.I know both units very well.

If there would be no differences between both units, I wouldn't keep boths and squeeze my brain figuring how to hook'em in the perfect tone rig ;)

Hey SteelEdge. Imho, the only question that matters is this: does it sound good?

It doesn't matter if you can see a small difference in signals in your DAW. If you can't hear it, and if the feel isn't ruined, then bobs your brothers sisters fathers pet rabbit!

Personally I probably wouldn't worry if there was a slight tonal change, as long as the noise floor isn't massively increased and the dynamic range squeezed.

I can "hear" a subtle diference, in the Kemper cleans mostly (in high gain I can't hear any difference), is like more trebly/distorted/compressed.No big deal, but I can feel it.Maybe tweaking some of the input/return levels...but right now is quite compensated and working.

Honestly, I find these issues bog down bedroom guys and not gigging musicians. Guys playing out realize each room is different, where they stand changes things and with so many other variables in play, these subtleties don't even register anymore. You'll be better served dedicating the time you'd need to go from tone 98% to tone 99.5% practicing and learning your instrument.

Keep in mind, guys like Jimmy Page used a Les Paul and Marshall stack because that was all that was available then, maybe in his mind, the tone was only 60% of where he'd have liked it to be.

The same topic as in kemper forum...
I tottaly agree with luke.

"bedroom guys..."....
What realy matters is gigging... live, not those bedroom fan guys...

Reactions: BMH
Back
Top Bottom