Axe FX II Gooseneck LED: MIDI or XLR?

tohmy

Inspired
I want to add a light to the back or my rack and my only option is to get the power from my Axe FX. My Power conditioner has no dedicated USB/BNC, just normal power outlets.
The MFC-101 is connected via ethernet, so my MIDI ports are free and this looks like the best option for a MIDI powered lamp:

Miditemp MGL-1 Gooseneck Light - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Could I use the Digital I/O connectors for something like this lamp?:

Stairville LEDXLR3A Gooseneck Lamp - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Thankful for any input :)

The MIDI port doesn't supply any power, it just passes power from the power port to pins 6 and 7 on the DIN connector. You have to connect a power supply to the power port on the back of the Axe-Fx to power the lamp which seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of doing this.

As for the XLR lamp you link to: just because the connectors look the same, doesn't mean you should plug them together. I do not recommend jamming that lamp in to XLR sockets on your Axe-Fx. That lamp is meant as an aftermarket replacement for systems that offer a lamp port that's XLR-based, like mixing desks. It's not just meant to be plugged in to any old XLR hole.

Why don't you just stick a battery powered light in the back of your rack? Something like this: Mighty Bright Book Lights, eReader Lights for Kindle, Nook and Kobo, Craft Lights, Travel Lights, Music Lights

Or look at an LED lightbar that connects to your power conditioner via a regular, old plug. Like these: Monkey dream LED Light bars for your Guitar amp

Thanks for your input:)
I thought the XLR connectors might have phantom power that could be used to power a lamp.
Nope. Phantom power is something specific to preamps and the Axe-Fx II doesn't have an preamps like that onboard.

The MIDI idea I got from this post:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/58792-ethercon-cable.html#post734883
and it does not look like he has anything connected to the power port...
Wow. So I guess it's exploiting the fact that MIDI uses a current loop for signalling? Neat hack. Wouldn't go near my gear with it.
I guess the most simple solution would be to get a cheap battery powered LED lamp:)
Yup.

@tohmy: from that picture in the link you just put up, it sure looks like the Axe midi out/thru is powering the led light to me....

Nope. Phantom power is something specific to preamps and the Axe-Fx II doesn't have an preamps like that onboard.

Wow. So I guess it's exploiting the fact that MIDI uses a current loop for signalling? Neat hack. Wouldn't go near my gear with it.

Yup.

Umm, actually no.

The midi OUT/THRU on the Axe does indeed power a midi gooseneck light, I've got one. (Doesn't work on the midi IN.)

The one I use is the ALVA MGL-1 - ALVA: Midi Gooseneck Light

It's nice & short, works like a charm.

Umm, actually no.
Umm no, what?

It's not running on happy thoughts and rainbows. Has to be pulling power from some place and since the AxeFx doesn't provide power on pins 6 and 7 on its own accord (i.e. you have to hook up a power adapter to the pass-through on the back on the unit) that means it's drawing current off the MIDI signalling pins to power itself.

Works on the MIDI out likely because the AxeFx is always sending stuff to that port even when nothing is connected. Try turning off SEND REALTIME SYSEX in the IO setting screen -- bet the light dims or goes out when the Axe-Fx isn't signalling on that port.

Cool, but a hack and one I wouldn't want to stick on the back of my AxeFx.

Umm no, what?

It's not running on happy thoughts and rainbows. Has to be pulling power from some place and since the AxeFx doesn't provide power on pins 6 and 7 on its own accord (i.e. you have to hook up a power adapter to the pass-through on the back on the unit) that means it's drawing current off the MIDI signalling pins to power itself.

Works on the MIDI out likely because the AxeFx is always sending stuff to that port even when nothing is connected. Try turning off SEND REALTIME SYSEX in the IO setting screen -- bet the light dims or goes out when the Axe-Fx isn't signalling on that port.

Cool, but a hack and one I wouldn't want to stick on the back of my AxeFx.

Don't know why you call it a hack, it's just a simple light that works on the midi output of any device that has a midi output (keyboard, fx unit, audio i/face.....AxeFX) It won't damage anything. Turning off the Send Realtime Sysex does nothing, light doesn't dim or turn off.
As part of the MIDI 1.0 spec the current loop is specified as 5 mA, which is what the MGL-1 light is rated at. (Power consumption 5mA, Brightness 2500 mcd).

If you'd never use one that's cool.

Don't know why you call it a hack, it's just a simple light that works on the midi output of any device that has a midi output (keyboard, fx unit, audio i/face.....AxeFX) It won't damage anything. Turning off the Send Realtime Sysex does nothing, light doesn't dim or turn off.
As part of the MIDI 1.0 spec the current loop is specified as 5 mA, which is what the MGL-1 light is rated at. (Power consumption 5mA, Brightness 2500 mcd).

If you'd never use one that's cool.

Interesting. Cool to see.

Any north American distributors for the Alva/MGL / MIDI Gooseneck Light / MGL-1? I've just emailed the German distributor asking them the same thing - tried to find one on eBay and via google with no luck.....'thanks OzGuitar!

Just a quick update. Got the lamp the other day and since I don`t have my rack at home these days I thought I`d try it out on my Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Plugged the lamp in the MIDI output and no light. Tried it in my AxeFX II yesterday and it worked perfectly! Its not a super bright light, but on a dark stage it gets the job done. Recomended!

Back
Top Bottom