Axe FX II: Getting Started?

MSUspartans2211

Hello all,

I'm brand new to fractal technology but a long time guitar player. I discovered this wonderful tech through my guitar idol Mr. Vai. I am seriously considering investing in one as soon as this month.

My question is, what do I need to get started? How do I even plug it in?

I currently play a JEM 7V through an all tube Marshall DSL40Combo.

As a future customer and a future axe fx player I would love some clarification!

Thanks!

Sean

There are a number of connecting scenarios described in the manual.
Or visit the wiki and check out the "Connecting ..." pages.

In short:
1) Headphones. Only if you must, IMHO.
2) Studio monitors (active). Perfect for home. Get good ones. Adams (A5x) are great (IMHO).
3) FRFR monitor. Like studio monitors but louder. You need these (1 for mono, 2 for stereo) if you rehearse/gig and want to use cabinet modeling. Active monitors have a built-in power amp, passive ones need a separate power amp. Atomic (CLR) and Matrix are popular.
4) Traditional guitar cabinet. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 ... You need a separate power amp. A traditional tube power amp (Fryette, VHT, Mesa etc.) will work but limits flexibility. Many prefer a neutral power amp, Matrix being popular.
5) Hybrid: FR speaker in a traditional cabinet. Like the Matrix FR speaker.

From what I've read in the manual and seen on other parts of the forum, could I plug the Axe Fx 2 in to the FX return loop on the back of my DSL40?

It can really be as much or as little of your rig as you want.

You can plug it in between your guitar and amp and it can act like a row of pedals.
You can plug it into your effects loop and it will handle all your effects loop effects.
You can use what's called the 4-cable-method and have the Axe do both pre-input pedal effects and effects loops stuff.
You can plug the Axe-Fx into the fx loop of your amp and let it handle all the preamp duties.
You can pair it with a solid state amp and guitar speakers and have it do all the amp and effects.

Or, you can use full range flat response monitors (and/or headphones) and it can be your entire rig, from amp to effects to cab to mic.

Is this an optimal combination? Would the axe fx handle most of the work?

The only person that can decide what "optimal" is, is you. I don't think you will be happy with the sound at all. The Axe Fx 2 can't shine like it should with that set up imo. I play through either studio monitors or a 1x12 active FRFR wedge and LOVE IT.

If you're an "guitar amp" guy, you will likely have to go through a power amp and guitar cab config. If you aren't (like me), you can invest in FRFR and for about $900 you can get a small little box that sounds AMAZING.

Welcome to the forum,

I have to give you a fair warning ..

this machine is highly addictive

:)

you will love it I am sure, and you will be amazed time and time again, an pretty soon you will
be trying to explain to your friends how awesome it is, and how they should just go ahead and
order one right ahead and thank you later..

;)

Back
Top Bottom