Axe-FX II, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, iMac 27 and SPDIF help needed

1. It enables sending AC3-encoded audio e.g. 5.1-channel on DVD directly to SPDIF output. Manual has some details too. Leave off if not doing this. (Switching on doesn't seem to have any negative effects here w/ Pro 24, but this is pointless.)

2. This might work, and it's not a bad idea at this point. Some devices can deal with either type of source and the status bit & voltage differences. Or a dedicated converter can be used. Q. Can I connect an AES output to an S/PDIF input?

You could instead try a SPDIF coaxial to optical converter, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8/ (Monoprice.com has it for $12 but the site seems to be down now.)

3. Usually it means your preset level is too high. Check the Output 1 Boost/Pad parameter in the I/O: Audio menu first, and set to 0 dB if not already. Also verify Out 1 Global EQ is set flat at 0 dB (or close enough) with MAIN slider at 0 dB. Then reduce the amp block OUTPUT LEVEL parameter until the clipping stops. Level could also be adjusted in a later block (cab etc.) or OUTPUT block.

Before you do this, it might be useful to gather some details: Has the clip indication been happening on every preset? What's the CPU usage (UTILITY: STATUS page) on the presets that light the clip LED? Does this happen with no USB cable connected?

Once you've reduced level to avoid clipping: If you set the Saffire to internal sync, does monitoring the Axe SPDIF output happen to sound okay? It's not the correct/ideal setting for one-way SPDIF, just a troubleshooting step. The sound may seem fine, or have a slight crackle/distortion, but I'm wondering if the major dropouts you described still occur.

Post a video if you can. I don't know if there would be any important settings in the OS X sound devices menu, but could you get video or a screenshot of that too?

It seems like the clipping is occurring with default presets only. When I use a preset I created, the volume (not tone) is much lower and the clip light is not on.

I do also notice an added distortion/clip sound on the presets that clip. When I lower the output and avoid the output clip light, all sounds well. Then I just bump the volume up on the interface to the monitors to compensate the volume in the room.

Everything as of two hours ago when I shut down was working 100% perfect. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much fuss as you're having jsp I can assure you that an awesome track and signal can be achieved by eliminating SPDIF, Analog Out and the Saffire all together. Just plug the Axe USB in and arm Inputs 1/2 and 3/4. You will get a no hassle track on 1/2 as well as D/I on 3/4. You can get a simulation of Mix Control by varying the USB output on the Axe. Just set your recording level and your headphone monitoring level and blend the Axe USB Output to taste.

As much fuss as you're having jsp I can assure you that an awesome track and signal can be achieved by eliminating SPDIF, Analog Out and the Saffire all together. Just plug the Axe USB in and arm Inputs 1/2 and 3/4. You will get a no hassle track on 1/2 as well as D/I on 3/4. You can get a simulation of Mix Control by varying the USB output on the Axe. Just set your recording level and your headphone monitoring level and blend the Axe USB Output to taste.

My main goal for putting this all together was to use the saffire as a digital mixer. Pretty much turn on the axe, the saffire, monitors, plug in everyone else's audio (bass, vocals, second guitar) and have a jam session, possibly record it.

Can I do this using the usb method explained above?

Can I do this using the usb method explained above?

4 mono signals (up to 2 processed by Axe, the others as-is) could be recorded via USB, using a certain type of routing in each preset.

I'd keep using the Saffire if it continues working fine. With a few (or even 2) sources it makes sense for ease of monitoring/recording, and you don't have to keep the Axe-FX on for computer sound all the time.

Hello all,

I feel like I've scoured the internet for an answer and though I found many to get me to where I am now with my setup, there is one lingering problem I can't seem to figure out. Here is my setup and settings:

Axe-FX - Quantum 1.01 (newest)
Saffire Pro Mix control - 3.6 (newest)
Logic Pro X (newest, but not open during these tests)

Axe-FX SPDIF IN to Pro 40 OUT, Axe-FX SPDIF OUT to Pro 40 IN
Pro 40 out to QSC K12's L & R
PRS CE22 plugged directly into INSTR on front panel of Axe-FX
AXE-FX is connected to USB of iMac (I've tested with the USB disconnected, no change)
Pro 40 is connected to Firewire of iMac

Axe-FX settings:
Main input source - Analog (In 1)
World Clock - Auto
SPDIF/AES - SPDIF

Pro 40 Mix Control settings:
Sample Rate - 48 kHz
Sync Source - SPDIF

The issue seems to be intermittent. The Sync Status will go from "Locked" to "No Lock" causing an annoying popping sound to come from the monitors.

When I first turned the system on yesterday, the problem didn't seem to be there. When I turned it on today, it was happening almost uncontrollably. As I fiddled with settings, jumping back and forth, it seemed to calm down only happening when I muted the strings on the guitar. As I type this, the guitar sits on the stand with the volume all the way up and every so often it'll switch from Lock to No Lock giving off the popping. I then lower the volume to 0 on the guitar and the Lock to No Lock becomes more apparent. I will note that as the pop is occurring the volume level bar in the mix control peaks to red as well.

I'm not sure what else I can do to stop this from happening. It's just annoying at this point.

I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Thank you,
Jerry

I use a similar setup. Try making the focusrite the master clock source

Axe FX clock source: spdif

Mixcontrol clock source: internal

I use a similar setup. Try making the focusrite the master clock source

Axe FX clock source: spdif

Mixcontrol clock source: internal

As of right now, everything is working perfectly with axe set to auto, saffire spdif.

Just a quick update.

It seems as though the popping and audio delay occur and are most uncontrollable when I have no other instruments plugged in any other inputs on the Saffire Pro. This morning I powered up and the popping was back. I recalled that when I got the popping to go away I had a mic and acoustic guitar plugged into inputs 1 and 2 respectively. I plugged the mic into input 1 today for testing purposes and the popping went away, mostly. I still get intermittent pops when the Axe guitar volume is at 0 but the audio delay that i was getting (the 1 second delay from strum to hearing the sound through the monitors) is gone completely.

I don't know if or how I can get the last of the popping to go away but I'm fine with it as is for now. Thank you all again for your help. This forum truly rocks in more ways than one!

I have a similar setup, AXE-FX and Sapphire Pro. If you are having trouble with spdif you can setup a aggregate device on your Mac, using the Axe USB and the sapphire firewire. This way you don't have to change input devices in Logic to record guitar or other stuff through the sapphire.

I have a similar setup, AXE-FX and Sapphire Pro. If you are having trouble with spdif you can setup a aggregate device on your Mac, using the Axe USB and the sapphire firewire. This way you don't have to change input devices in Logic to record guitar or other stuff through the sapphire.

I'm not sure I understand. Could you explain further?

Thank you

Reading this thread flashed me back to a similar issue that I has when using the Saffire Pro 40, iMac to record using ProTools. Ulitmately, I traced the problem with the intermittent pops to be due to the energy saver settings that I was using on the Mac. It's worth checking your setup. I needed to turn off the sleep settings, as they were causing: 1. the screen saver to initialize and to rotate through multiple screen defaults, and 2. the hard disk spinning down. Granted, in your case the hard disk is not an issue. However, the net effect may be to shut things down and wake things up, with the clicks being due to dropout.

Back
Top Bottom