Axe FX II favorite amp models discussion

For me.....

Clean:

Double Verb
59 Bassguy

Blues:

Supertweed (My overall favorite sim)

Rock:

Brown Sound (Both with and without boost depending on what I'm playing)

If I had nothing but these, I could live happily ever after! LOL!!!

I haven't had mine a week yet, but as far as crunch and cleans go, I'm able to get great stuff from just about every amp in the thing, so I haven't decided there yet.

But high-gain-wise, my favorite has been the Freidman HBE. Definitely the easiest high-gain amp to dial in for me - it seems like it allows the character of the guitar to shine through much more than the other high gain amps.

I haven't had mine a week yet, but as far as crunch and cleans go, I'm able to get great stuff from just about every amp in the thing, so I haven't decided there yet.

But high-gain-wise, my favorite has been the Freidman HBE. Definitely the easiest high-gain amp to dial in for me - it seems like it allows the character of the guitar to shine through much more than the other high gain amps.

I agree about getting good sounds from all the amps.
One thing I've found is it is important to listen carefully to how the amp sounds when you first
bring it up. It is easy to let your ears do the tweaking and end up with a lot of stuff that sounds
the same!

The Friedman BE is awesome, I am using it for practice at night with the neck pickup on my Strat.

Wow!

I'm surprised the Cameron didnt get more votes. Its one of my go to amps.
Also use a lot these:

the Friedmans
Marshall JVM
Wrecker
JCM 800

Primarily Vox (clean and crunch), BE (crunch and saturated) and Cameron 2 (low and medium gain).

Lots of others on the back bench.

Hiwatt is my current golden child :)

That amp model is incredibly versatile.

Put a Tone Bender drive in front of it and clean to zeppelin crunch and everything in between :)

I've been camped out exclusively on the FAS Wrecker for the last 3-4 months. I have a clean/edg X/Y and an edg/crunch x/y. Each of those have a tape drive in front for additional dirt when necessary. I play contemporary christian worship and this covers it extremely well. I accidently stumbled on it when I was auditioning one of Yek's Buttery patchs and I accidently changed the amp sim to FAS Wrecker....the rest is history. I also have a Legacy lead patch which rocks.

I've had the Ultra and now the II for 3-4 years and I never thought I'd be able to stick with only one amp but this just sounds amazing. I'm doing FRFR, go direct into the board and use IEMs with Axiom mixer. I have Westone EM900's and the sound in my ears is amazing....best ever!

For you guys using the Shiva Clean, do you have to eq out a lot of bass and low mid's. Evey time I try this sim, it sounds overly bassy, low and lifeless. Are you doing anything special with it?

Same trouble as the rest of ya narrowing it down. Really liking the RV50 the last month or so. That and Euro blue are the only two standards. The rest are in rotation.

One thing I've found is it is important to listen carefully to how the amp sounds when you first
bring it up. It is easy to let your ears do the tweaking and end up with a lot of stuff that sounds
the same!

Yeah, especially as I'm trying to get something I haven't quite heard anywhere, I tend to gravitate toward using the PEQ in a certain configuration. On the plus side, I've gotten my head round the Euro Uber. Originally I thought it was bassy and nasally.

Yeah, especially as I'm trying to get something I haven't quite heard anywhere, I tend to gravitate toward using the PEQ in a certain configuration. On the plus side, I've gotten my head round the Euro Uber. Originally I thought it was bassy and nasally.

I haven't seen much mention of the Euro Uber.
The gain on that thing with my Strat is crazy.
I might try to use it for recording something.
It truly is unlike any of the other amps in the Axe.

BE, BE w/saturation and Cameron 2 are my undisputed rock amps. If I were to buy an analog amp again, it'd be a Friedman.
Budda is my favorite "vintage rock" model.
After experimenting I've settled on BE w/OD (Eternity) for rock leads. It's also close to my main BE rhythm tone (for consistency).
Cleans: The fight has not been decided yet. Switched from Vox, to Shiva, and now back to Hiwatt.

Last edited:
Vox 15, Plexi normal and Wrecker are my favourite choice at that time. Also love the doubleverb.

The Double Verb seems to be the go-to clean fender, probably due to the amount of clean headroom.
Seems on a modeler that the Princeton would be just as good, since it is a simple a matter to turn up
the volume without adding gain. I add some spring reverb to the Princeton preset and it sounds exactly
like the '65 Princeton Reverb I had when I was 12.
7511788530_306e956d61_t.jpg
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom