Axe-Fx II Fan Noise: Still an issue?

I think the 'fan' boys are a bunch of crybabies.

Yes, clearly we're crybabies, and not working in home studios at low enough levels to notice it more than you.

But then, from your gear list, doesn't look like you're doing studio work. Maybe that, and not us being crybabies, is why it doesn't bother you?

seems like there are quite some differences here....
I can't hear my fan unless I put my ear right up to the front panel..
my unit is real quiet..
certainly a lot quieter than my Mac

that said.. I think crybaby is a little harsh...
you want a control room to be a nice listening environment..
which is why all the computing and other noisy stuff goes in the machine room [away from the listening environment]
and small / home studios don't all have the luxury of a machine room

I guess a machine room isn't that practical anyhow until the new version of Axe-Edit shows up [front panel editing etc]..

I feel for you guys...
it must be pretty frustrating...

I can hear the fan when my axe is not in its rack case, but if you're playing or listening to anything, your ears are a lot better than mine if you can hear it... I think the 'fan' boys are a bunch of crybabies.

It is amazing that humans insist on denying other human being's experiences, merely because they don't share them. either 1) My fan is in fact louder than yours 2) My application (studio recording) is more critical than yours, or 3) My ears are better than yours. It is not necessary to invalidate other people's experiences just because they don't match yours.

Last edited:
1) My fan is in fact quieter than yours, or seems to be [see point 2]

2) My application (feeding back and pissing off the street) is more stupid than yours

3) My ears are more fkd than yours, completely and utterly [see point 2 again]

I used to use the vintage fans, but I had someone wind me a custom one and it's far superior.

Seriously though I installed an aftermarket, it was much quieter, can't remember who made it and it's starting to make noise about a year later now. I'm still thinking about using a squirrel cage like a gamma20 or something. It's rated at a very low cfm, but it's really quiet and it's focused airflow.

Alright alright, it looks like the thread is already turning a little bit hostile. That wasn't my intention when I made it, I was just looking for some alternatives to the stock fan.

So how about this:

If any of you have changed your Axe-Fx II fan or if you have friends that have changed their fans, what fans did you (or they) use, and was the change successful? Also, go ahead and link where to buy whatever fan you prefer if you can still find the link to where it's sold online.

I do home studio work. It's simple, you record direct so the noise floor doesn't matter, when you're not recording with it, you turn it off, so as to save power and cut the noise. Playing live... Well you can't make an argument about fan noise that is in any way plausible or valid for live. Practice... Headphones or monitors/cab, again unless you're playing at whisper levels I can't see the noise being an issue. I'm not saying the fan isn't audible maybe even loud for a fan, I'm just saying it doesn't practically matter for any reason other than something for people to complain about... And that yes, raising yet another fan noise thread makes you kind of a crybaby.... for starting yet another pointless thread over something that everyone knows a lot of people think, and there is a known (and well documented) fix for.... See previous links to previous threads.

I do home studio work. It's simple, you record direct so the noise floor doesn't matter, when you're not recording with it, you turn it off, so as to save power and cut the noise. Playing live... Well you can't make an argument about fan noise that is in any way plausible or valid for live. Practice... Headphones or monitors/cab, again unless you're playing at whisper levels I can't see the noise being an issue. I'm not saying the fan isn't audible maybe even loud for a fan, I'm just saying it doesn't practically matter for any reason other than something for people to complain about... And that yes, raising yet another fan noise thread makes you kind of a crybaby.... for starting yet another pointless thread over something that everyone knows a lot of people think, and there is a known (and well documented) fix for.... See previous links to previous threads.

Misses the point: trying to reamp while listening to the mix? Nope. Not if you've only got a control room. Trying to use it live in the control room as an FX processor for vocals? Nope. Trying to play something live in the studio with a couple of other people who are mic'd? Nope. Sure, if your studio work consists of using it ONLY for tracking, and you're not recording anyone or anything else at that moment, it works. As for me - even when I am recording solo, my music involves a guitar, viola and vocal mic all plugged into the II, via a mixer. If I am recording my vocals through it (sometimes even vocals and guitar through it at the same time), the bleed of the fan makes it unusable. If I am reamping with it, or running anything through it 'after the fact' (i.e. on mixdown), I CANNOT truly do critical listening to the mix with that fan going.

The AXE is versatile, and works well for what you use it for, but if it was quieter, its versatility for mixing, mastering, live-tracking in the CR would be MASSIVELY increased.

suggestion.......
when you're recording something guitar / viola / vocals, you'd never record the signal wet yes...??
why not use a nice silent plug-in reverb for your monitoring reverb [to get that feeling when playing] so you have a nice quiet recording environment...

and if you'd like to use the Axe reverb on the final mix..
just reamp and record the reverb..

I'm actually getting into the habit of recording everything.. including returned fx / plug-in fx.. everything..
so that I use as much audio as possible and minimse the number of plug-ins running live..
I've actually discovered that when you bounce down a plug-in [instrument, reverb, auto-tune, compression etc etc..] many off them actually improve hugely tone wise..
I'm guessing that it's cos they're no longer running in real time...
I've no idea what it actually is.. but to my ears it's as if they grow some extra vitality..
so the only thing I run live during mix-down is the audio and and corrective EQ I need to do..

suggestion.......
when you're recording something guitar / viola / vocals, you'd never record the signal wet yes...??
why not use a nice silent plug-in reverb for your monitoring reverb [to get that feeling when playing] so you have a nice quiet recording environment...

and if you'd like to use the Axe reverb on the final mix..
just reamp and record the reverb..

I'm actually getting into the habit of recording everything.. including returned fx / plug-in fx.. everything..
so that I use as much audio as possible and minimse the number of plug-ins running live..
I've actually discovered that when you bounce down a plug-in [instrument, reverb, auto-tune, compression etc etc..] many off them actually improve hugely tone wise..
I'm guessing that it's cos they're no longer running in real time...
I've no idea what it actually is.. but to my ears it's as if they grow some extra vitality..
so the only thing I run live during mix-down is the audio and and corrective EQ I need to do..

I record EVERYTHING wet - the long delays, verbs, etc. are integral to how I play. Most of what I do would be impossible to play, let alone record, dry. Remember, most of this is improvised music - sometimes just one track live, sometimes more tracks overdubbed. Also, I often record live in-studio with other musicians. I will post some of my stuff soon, but here's an example. At the bottom of the link, there's a control to play 'Viola Breath' - you'll hear the loooonnnggg delays etc. on it: Samuel Claiborne - Solo Music This track was me, solo, singing and playing viola (pre my Axe-FX) at a sound check. No way to do this stuff dry - the long tails govern how you play. It'd be like trying to play some delay-driven U2 guitar part... without the delay - impossible - you know the Edge records with his FX... he has to to get that syncopation happening.

Last edited:
I record EVERYTHING wet - the long delays, verbs, etc. are integral to how I play. Most of what I do would be impossible to play, let alone record, dry. Remember, most of this is improvised music - sometimes just one track live, sometimes more tracks overdubbed. Also, I often record live in-studio with other musicians. I will post some of my stuff soon, but here's an example. At the bottom of the link, there's a control to play 'Viola Breath' - you'll hear the loooonnnggg delays etc. on it: Samuel Claiborne - Solo Music This track was me, solo, singing and playing viola (pre my Axe-FX) at a sound check. No way to do this stuff dry - the long tails govern how you play. It'd be like trying to play some delay-driven U2 guitar part... without the delay - impossible - you know the Edge records with his FX... he has to to get that syncopation happening.

this is seriously not impossible...
in fact.. it's not actually that difficult
if you reamp... you monitor wet [so you can 'play' the delay] and record dry
then reamp and fix it all up..

if you record wet [and rely only on that] you're kinda making a bit of a rod for your own back..

if it's very improv'd how about this..
record wet and dry together...
the 'live wet' is a reference track only
dry is to reamp..
you could then use the wet to help reconstruct what you did fx wise...

Last edited:
this is seriously not impossible...
in fact.. it's not actually that difficult
if you reamp... you monitor wet [so you can 'play' the delay] and record dry
then reamp and fix it all up..

if you record wet [and rely only on that] you're kinda making a bit of a rod for your own back..

if it's very improv'd how about this..
record wet and dry together...
the 'live wet' is a reference track only
dry is to reamp..
you could then use the wet to help reconstruct what you did fx wise...

I certainly could record wet/dry together, but I guess I wasn't clear - this is improvised music, where I'm changing FX the entire time - i.e. I am 'playing' the fx as much as the guitar - so, during the course of a 'song', I may change MANY settings - cutting stuff in and out, changing its level in the mix, changing its fundamental qualities (delay time etc.) via expression pedals, using X/Y on the fx etc. - no way to reconstruct that later - this is not traditional verse/chorus/bridge song building, this is ambient and post-rock, built on the fly, often in concert with others, sometimes with overdubs, sometimes not, sometimes with a click track, sometimes not. For what I do, I need a quiet device. But EVEN if I was doing 'traditional' dry recording as you say, it is still hard to do critical listening when adding the fx in later on when the fan is masking part of the sound! How am I to effectively adjust a delicate reverb tail if the end of the tail disappears in the fan noise from my PC and my AXE? If you're a stickler, like I like to believe I am, you cannot. Same with critical EQ adjustments. Every pro audio piece I've had in the past, includuding my eventide, my amek console, API lunchbox etc. was either dead quiet (i.e. no fan) or very quiet (i.e. massive heat sinks, slow fan). Yes, I know the AXE has 2 hot processors in it, among other things, but I'd still bet dollars to donuts that a passively cooled, or nearly so version could have been/could be engineered with an end cost that was not significantly higher.

I certainly could record wet/dry together, but I guess I wasn't clear - this is improvised music, where I'm changing FX the entire time - i.e. I am 'playing' the fx as much as the guitar - so, during the course of a 'song', I may change MANY settings - cutting stuff in and out, changing its level in the mix, changing its fundamental qualities (delay time etc.) via expression pedals, using X/Y on the fx etc. - no way to reconstruct that later - this is not traditional verse/chorus/bridge song building, this is ambient and post-rock, built on the fly, often in concert with others, sometimes with overdubs, sometimes not, sometimes with a click track, sometimes not. For what I do, I need a quiet device. But EVEN if I was doing 'traditional' dry recording as you say, it is still hard to do critical listening when adding the fx in later on when the fan is masking part of the sound! How am I to effectively adjust a delicate reverb tail if the end of the tail disappears in the fan noise from my PC and my AXE? If you're a stickler, like I like to believe I am, you cannot. Same with critical EQ adjustments. Every pro audio piece I've had in the past, includuding my eventide, my amek console, API lunchbox etc. was either dead quiet (i.e. no fan) or very quiet (i.e. massive heat sinks, slow fan). Yes, I know the AXE has 2 hot processors in it, among other things, but I'd still bet dollars to donuts that a passively cooled, or nearly so version could have been/could be engineered with an end cost that was not significantly higher.

hmmm....
maybe you could also record your MIDI too...

just trying to think of anything that can possibly improve your situation...

hmmm....
maybe you could also record your MIDI too...

just trying to think of anything that can possibly improve your situation...
I appreciate the effort. It's kind of you to sweat yer noggin. We work around it - put gobos around my rack, things like that. Not optimal, and someday, either Fractal will change the design or I'll hack my own enclosure. I think any serious engineer who only has a control room faces this problem if he's using the Axe for mixdown, unless he's got a soundproofed equipment closet or cage. Such is life in the low budget micro studio...

You could save yourself the complication in describe a one room studio as a control room, that would clarify your situation quite a bit, control room indicates you have a seperate live room or booth. but seriously the fan is mot loud enough that a simple baffle wouldn't fix it, or you could replace the fan.... its not a feat of engineering.

also, while I understand the reason you would track wet, your overall product could be tweaked more if you tracked dry and reamped, as mentioned you can monitor wet, this makes a particular amount of sense, because if your effects don't do something you want you don't wreck a good take on your effects not reacting as you'd like(you can tweak them more if you're not playing while tweaking them)

I appreciate the effort. It's kind of you to sweat yer noggin. We work around it - put gobos around my rack, things like that. Not optimal, and someday, either Fractal will change the design or I'll hack my own enclosure. I think any serious engineer who only has a control room faces this problem if he's using the Axe for mixdown, unless he's got a soundproofed equipment closet or cage. Such is life in the low budget micro studio...

actually.. I don't have this prob at all..
my Axe really is pretty much absolutely silent...
my Axe is less than 2' from my head in a rack beside me and is about 3" or 4" above ear level..
and even then.. I still can't hear it..
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones..

if I were you though...
I'd still be inclined to record the live audio, the dry guitar and the MIDI events..
if for no other reason than being able to do more come mix-down..
and don't forget that mix-down is often quite a creative process in itself..
you can never capture too much or have too many options..

Back
Top Bottom