Axe-Fx II Fan Noise: Still an issue?

The fan on mine is quieter than the one in my Standard. Since I'm not using any mics in my recording signal chain, it's not much of an issue for me.

When the axe-fx II was released the fans were quite noisy but I think part of that was because of the G2 modeling. The amps are so real now the fans were having a hard time keeping it down. Then all the famous artists started using them and again the fans became almost to a point of crazy. The fans started shouting stuff like "oh my god I can't believe Petrucci and Vai are using this thing, it's awesome!!!"

Sometimes it's just hard to be a fan without making noise, generally because of excitement.

No but seriously, I love my fan and I don't notice it at all. Sometimes the speed changes but so does the weather. I don't mind, it's not noticable.

in short: not an issue! :razz

If the noise coming from the case that I'm hearing is fan noise, it's an issue. Yeah, it's fairly loud. Gives me a headache after a while... I can only handle so much "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

It sounds to me like the level of fan noise varies quite a bit between units, no? Is there another fan available now that meets Fractal's recommendations?

What is the cooling power of the current Axe-Fx II fan?

If push comes to shove, you could always just buy your own fan with at least as much cooling as the stock fan, but that doesn't make as much noise.

What is the cooling power of the current Axe-Fx II fan?

If push comes to shove, you could always just buy your own fan with at least as much cooling as the stock fan, but that doesn't make as much noise.

If it were only that easy. The quieter solution is less reliable and Fractal has to honor warranties and thus doesn't desire to trade off reliability for claims. The noisy fan seems to have a useful life of a decade and the alternative under two years.

Ask yourself this, if you were Cliff, would you spend $5 more per unit to make this go away if you could?

What is the source of this information? As I said in my post earlier in this thread: I called Fractal and they sent me out a new fan right away. I have my Axe II in an SKB rack, and since I put in the new fan, I have to put my ear within 12" of the unit and then I can barely hear it (before I could hear it across the room). Are you saying that this new fan that Fractal sent me won't last very long? Hadley, call Fractal and have them send you a new fan. It only takes five minutes to install it. Try it and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

If it were only that easy. The quieter solution is less reliable and Fractal has to honor warranties and thus doesn't desire to trade off reliability for claims. The noisy fan seems to have a useful life of a decade and the alternative under two years.

Ask yourself this, if you were Cliff, would you spend $5 more per unit to make this go away if you could?

The quieter solution IN THE CURRENT FORM FACTOR may be less reliable. But a different design, utilizing vents and heat sinks might have required no fan, or a much slower, quieter fan, like the Matrix GT1000FX 2U

Well, not to be rude or short or anything like that, but to me it is that easy. If I knew the CFM rating of the current fans, I could start my search for a new, quieter fan while knowing the minimum cooling threshold I'd need to look for in the fan I'd select.

I don't understand the problem.

Well, to me it is that easy. If I knew what the CFM rating of the current fans are, I could start my search for a new, quieter fan and know what the minimum cooling threshold is.

All you have to do is a search and you'll come across many threads on the subject, some of which have the data you seek. As this has been beaten to death for years and the current solutions for quieter fans are less reliable with a shorter life span. There is no magic solution that others have failed to overturn.

The quieter solution IN THE CURRENT FORM FACTOR may be less reliable. But a different design, utilizing vents and heat sinks might have required no fan, or a much slower, quieter fan, like the Matrix GT1000FX 2U

When people use to talk to me like this at my business, I invited them to open across the street, show me how it should be done and to in turn run me out of business.

As they say, if the Queen was born with balls, she might have been King.

I gotcha. Actually, I'd be okay with buying a new fan every one and a half to two years if it meant near silent operation. Hell I'm even already used to that kind of maintenance on guitar equipment now!

The only difference is that even though the fan will one day just stop working, the Axe-Fx's tone will stay 100% as good as ever right up until that point. I don't even have to worry about the slow but steady degradation of tone over that 1.5-2 year span like I would with tubes!

I gotcha. Actually, I'd be okay with buying a new fan every one and a half to two years if it meant near silent operation. Hell I'm even already used to that kind of maintenance on guitar equipment now!

The only difference is that even though the fan will one day just stop working, the Axe-Fx's tone will stay 100% as good as ever right up until that point. I don't even have to worry about the slow but steady degradation of tone over that 1.5-2 year span like I would with tubes!

And because it would be quiet, you'd forget all about it, one day it would be dead and how would you know? Perhaps you'd use the unit for months without noticing. You know how you are suppose to change your smoke detector batteries when you change the clocks, but in practice you do it when they begin beeping at 3am instead?

And because it would be quiet, you'd forget all about it, one day it would be dead and how would you know? Perhaps you'd use the unit for months without noticing. You know how you are suppose to change your smoke detector batteries when you change the clocks, but in practice you do it when they begin beeping at 3am instead?

My experience with those types of fans (in computers) is they generate a distinct noise as the bearings wear out, more like a drone. I doubt you'd miss the sound. We keep the computers in our shop on 24/7, as opposed to an AXE which is only on when you're using it. I can't recall the last time I had a fan fail in a computer. Must have been years.

I wonder what the AXE does when it overheats? Does it shutdown?

I can hear the fan when my axe is not in its rack case, but if you're playing or listening to anything, your ears are a lot better than mine if you can hear it... I think the 'fan' boys are a bunch of crybabies.

Back
Top Bottom