Axe-Fx II clip with acoustic guitar

Joe

Axe-Fx II clip with acoustic guitar - patch added

Hi,

with one of my bands we're playing "unplugged" gigs and on stage I'm using two acoustic guitars with B-Band UST pickups. My main guitar with this band is a steelstring, the other one (which I only use for a few songs to give them a different flavor) is a nylon stringed guitar, it's an Ibanez EWN30SYE-NT. While the preset I made for the band works live very well, I never tried how it turns up for recording so I did a quick test.

For the rhythm guitars I only recorded a single run through the chord progression and then looped it in GarageBand then I panned these two to the left and right and recorded the last track over that loop. The pickup on the guitar is a B-Band UST (Under Saddle Transducer) and the controls on the guitar are set to a neutral setting. For recording I used the USB connection from the Axe II into my Mac. There are no effects active in GarageBand and absolutely no other processing than from the Axe-Fx II.

If you don't want to fall asleep while listening please do yourself a favour and - like we used to do in the pre-USB times with axe-Edit - get yourself a big hot and fresh cup of Java before you click here:

soundfile: Axe-Fx II with acoustic guitar (nylon strings)

Best,

Jochen

reason for editing: I added the patch, more about this in post #5

Last edited:
Very tasty Jochen.

Even though it could use just a *subtle* hint of cowbell.

Which brings to mind: is there any way we can use IR Capturing in firmware 3 to capture the sonic signature of a cowbell?

Hi,

Patch please..

while I believe that these presets do not work for others very well, you could try it of course.

To me there are too many variables: your guitar and especially it's pickup system, amplification, your band, your playing style (I'm even using a pick with that nylon stringed guitar), what you want to hear or need to hear with your band to cut through and all this.

Anyway, I added the patch, you'll find it at the bottom of this post.

I tried one of my presets with a friend's guitar and while it sounded great with my guitar with the B-Band it needed a different setting in the EQ for his one which uses a Fishman Matrix. Here's a pic which shows the PEQ:

ag_01.jpg

If you compare this with the uploaded patch you'll notice that it's quite different.

I'm using the looper as the first block when I work on my presets so I have both hands free while I'm tweaking. Then there is a compressor just in case (and if I have to compete with my bandmates ;)). The toneshaping happens at the PEQ (and at the GEQ later). I prefer the PEQ but I'm faster with the GEQ so I maybe change the GEQ later with a second PEQ. When I made that preset I was in a hurry before a gig and I did not had any acoustic IRs at that time so I tried the factory ones and found the 8x10 Bass cab worked fine for what I wanted. I'll maybe going for a complete rework of this but I want to wait until we have acoustic IRs especially made for the Axe II.

There's a delay in there for one song, a reverb block and a chorus for another song, that's all. Very basic.

Hope you can use it to find a nice tone with your equipment.

Best,

Jochen

Attachments

• acoustic nylon.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom