Axe-FX II clip - Killswitch Engage cover (Blackmachine/Bare Knuckle content)

Nolly

Inspired
Hey guys,

This is the first recording I've made with my Axe FX II. It's a cover of a riff from "World Ablaze" by Killswitch Engage. For guitars I used my burl-top Blackmachine B2 with a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver bridge pickup, the bass is my fellow RSF guitarist Pete's '76 Gibson Grabber (used on albums by Thrice, Converge, Cave In, and many others). Drums are Toontrack's Metal Machine with some additional blended samples.

Hey guys,

This is the first recording I've made with my Axe FX II. It's a cover of a riff from "World Ablaze" by Killswitch Engage. For guitars I used my burl-top Blackmachine B2 with a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver bridge pickup, the bass is my fellow RSF guitarist Pete's '76 Gibson Grabber (used on albums by Thrice, Converge, Cave In, and many others). Drums are Toontrack's Metal Machine with some additional blended samples.

Fantastic.
Could you post the patch?
Congratulations.

nice nolly, I have a holy diver sitting on my shelf, and I never heard it sound that good.

Thanks guys, I'm afraid I'll be keeping this patch to myself for professional work :)

There are many great guitar players here, probably some quite a bit better than you, who have been more than willing to share their presets with other users. I don't recall ever hearing any one of them saying it hurt their career or they lost a record deal because the label said their tone sounded like that one guy's on the Axefx forum.
To each their own I guess, but since day 1, this forum has been about the sharing and helping other users squeeze as much as possible out of this little black box. In my opinion, to post a clip and then a post like that, regardless of the talent of the player, reads like the words of someone who's insecure and selfish just looking for an attaboy with no desire to contribute to the community.

On another note, nice clip. It DOES sound great.

Way to jump to conclusions there Guittarzzan, if you did some research you'd see that I have shared many presets and even full session files on this forum and several others. However, I earn my income through music production work and don't feel it's right to give away that which I am charging my clients for.

Like I said, "to each their own". I highly doubt you're earning your income from selling your presets. I suspect you're earning your income from what you do with them and how well you use them in a mix. The same preset recorded by a different player on a different guitar with different pickups with a different production vision will likely yield different results. A pro mix engineer/producer is going to make a preset sound like a million bucks compared to the average bedroom rocker. There's no competition and no one's getting ripped off by sharing, but again-to each their own.

cheers,
Steve

Like I said, "to each their own". I highly doubt you're earning your income from selling your presets. I suspect you're earning your income from what you do with them and how well you use them in a mix. The same preset recorded by a different player on a different guitar with different pickups with a different production vision will likely yield different results. A pro mix engineer/producer is going to make a preset sound like a million bucks compared to the average bedroom rocker. There's no competition and no one's getting ripped off by sharing, but again-to each their own.

cheers,
Steve

+1,000,000,---- I don't even care for this type of music, but I like to listen to all posted audio of the axe box famililies. Never ran across this ridiculous self centered attitude. Fingers and heart make the music-

Tell you what Steve, I'll capitulate on this one because you are right that the same patch will not sound the same with a different player in a different mix. I do however earn money through selling presets, though not for Axe-FX, but that's an argument I have no interest in pursuing.

So here we are, attached is the patch. As you can see there is very little going on. I used Redwirez IRs loaded into their proprietary MixIR impulse loader for the cab sound, hence the lack of a cab block in the patch. The Redwirez user agreement prevents me from distributing the IR files that I used, but off the top of my head I believe I used a blend of 4 different IRs, mainly from the Mesa Rectifier 4x12, with SM57 and MD421 microphones placed on the cap close to the grille, as well as an SM57 on the cap edge of the Soldano Legend V12 cab, and a Heil PR30 on the cap edge of the T75 Uberkab. The choosing of the IRs was very hurried, if I had had more time to spare I would probably have refined the mic positions, perhaps used a smaller number of IRs and processed them separately, but as it was I essentially used the various impulses as EQ curves and adjusted their relative levels to achieve a sound close to what I was looking for. I then used some post-EQ to bandpass the guitar tracks, as well as notching out some frequencies in the 2-4kHz range I found to be overbearing (this is a standard procedure I use) before applying some general balance adjustment to reduce the areas of the lower midrange that I found clashed with the other instruments. I also used the lower band of a multi-band compressor to squash the 100-250Hz region during the palm mutes to prevent them from becoming overbearing.
I am preparing to leave on tour early tomorrow morning and have powered down my recording computer so I can't be much more specific than that, but here is a stem of the guitar tracks from this clip that I bounced down for a forum user that sent me a PM about them, as well as the backing track of drums and bass. Perhaps with the patch, above information and audio references some will find they can dial in a similar tone that works for their use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/World Ablaze Guitars only.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/World Ablaze drums and bass.mp3

EDIT: I can't seem to see the attached preset file, so here is a direct download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Nolly Rhythm Patch.syx

+1,000,000,---- I don't even care for this type of music, but I like to listen to all posted audio of the axe box famililies. Never ran across this ridiculous self centered attitude. Fingers and heart make the music-

He's self centered because he doesn't want to share a patch? What the hell are you talking about?
Nolly one of the most helpful, eager to share people that posts here and other boards and you guys are totally out of line with you comments.

Great recording Nolly! I loved your Ultra patches and still use your Superior presets for writing/demoing. Thanks!

Way to jump to conclusions there Guittarzzan, if you did some research you'd see that I have shared many presets and even full session files on this forum and several others. However, I earn my income through music production work and don't feel it's right to give away that which I am charging my clients for.

Yet you come here using others music and expect the users/members to critique your work and help you make it better, i.e., make more money???

I hope you get rich selling your presets, but I do doubt it!

Yet you come here using others music and expect the users/members to critique your work and help you make it better, i.e., make more money???

I hope you get rich selling your presets, but I do doubt it!

Again, what the hell are you talking about? Nobody ever talked about selling presets to make money, stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

And how is posting your music for critique the same as offering a patch that you used? I don't get that jump

Back
Top Bottom