Axe-Fx II - Chunky Cranked HBE

Sounds great very chunky , a lil dark for me on my home system , but it rocks kinda Bognerish ..
Yeah, I agree it's a little on the darker side the way I dialed it up. I actually usually go for brighter tones. If you want more highs, the AxeII can deliver it in spades. I find it has a noticeably sweeter high end than the ultra. I just had it cranked up through a PA at a jam last night and the brighter patches cut through wonderfully without being harsh in any way. I've jammed with these guys several times previously with the ultra, and they all commented that it sounded better last night....and I was really just stepping through factory presets!

Hey Mitch,

if you wanted to fix the highs in that patch I'd suggest to put a filter block at the end of the signal chain.
type peaking, q 0.5, gain +9, frequ 4.5 kHz

Hey Mitch,

if you wanted to fix the highs in that patch I'd suggest to put a filter block at the end of the signal chain.
type peaking, q 0.5, gain +9, frequ 4.5 kHz

Just curious, what are the advantages of using a filter block over a PEQ, less CPU usage?

Just curious, what are the advantages of using a filter block over a PEQ, less CPU usage?
I'm guessing that's the main advantage, otherwise both are capable of doing the job.

I didn't even save the patch, but if I'd wanted it brighter I probably could have gotten there just using the amp block itself. I prefer to keep it simple and work with just an amp and cab. The amp block provides an incredible amount of tone-shaping control on its own, and even has a graphic eq built-in in the AxeFXII.

Good playing & decent groove... but the sound? ummm... maybe it's just me, but I didn't care for it at all. I didn't find it too dark- just WAY too scooped. I can't imagine it working in a band situation at all.

But, hey- creating music is an artform. There is no right or wrong answer- and if that's the tone you're chasing in your head then have at it :)

Good playing & decent groove... but the sound? ummm... maybe it's just me, but I didn't care for it at all. I didn't find it too dark- just WAY too scooped. I can't imagine it working in a band situation at all.

But, hey- creating music is an artform. There is no right or wrong answer- and if that's the tone you're chasing in your head then have at it :)

It's hard to trust the mp3 format when listening ..... it does weird things to mids I find ... just the artifacts of file compression I suppose.

As a sound on it's own I liked it - I heard enough air, separation and grind in the highs to indicate it's a nice amp block to work with ..... (my vocabulary may not translate to everyone else's of course)

Back
Top Bottom