Axe FX II ate my soundcard driver?!?

Wes37

Inspired
Just got the Axe Fx II and am running through a Presonus Firebox. Test drove it running from the Axe FX II output to the input of the soundcard, and listening through Cakewalk's Sonar. Ran Axe Edit and edited some patches...all's well.

Then I updated the firmware to 2.0 and things got weird.

Now Sonar doesn't show my Presonus inputs anymore, just "Axe FX II AISO drivers." I tried adjusting the settings in the Audio panel, and on the Advanced Tab the Axe FX ASIO drivers (not even sure there is such a thing) are there and the Presonus Firebox ASIO drivers are greyed out (see pic).

How do I fix this? Without the Presonus inputs in Sonar, there is no sound. Not sure where the Axe FX II ASIO drivers came from, but they don't work. Oh, and Axe Edit now says there isn't a connection between it and the Axe FX II. WTF?

SonarFubar.png

I could be helpful to others who encounter the same if you made a small comment on what you found out and how you solved it.

All,

The only solution I've found is to not run Axe Edit after rebooting. So while Sonar now shows the correct drivers, I can't use Axe Edit to edit patches, which is far easier than using the front controls on the Axe.

I'm experimenting with using an older laptop to run Axe Edit alone while my desktop runs Sonar, but Axe Edit isn't working properly on the laptop. I also have another desktop while is only a couple of years old, but it is also having problems running Axe Edit. I'm going to try again with the dual desktop approach tonight.

Oh...and does anyone know if Axe Edit will work if we remove the Axe FX ASIO drivers? That might solve all the problems.

I wont be in front of machine for a few days (away) but I can run Sonar X1 and Axe Edit at the same time. If memory serves me correctly I don't allow Sonar to use the midi ports tied to the Axe Fx (on the Axe Fx) and can open Axe Edit with no problems. I post settings when I get home.

Thanks 6L6C! One question...to ensure Sonar isn't using the same midi ports, I know how to set midi ports in Sonar, but I already chose "Ax FX" under the AX Edit midi settings vs my Presonus Firebox...how else do I ensure the two bits of software don't step on each other's toes?

Looking forward to your settings post.

Thanks 6L6C! One question...to ensure Sonar isn't using the same midi ports, I know how to set midi ports in Sonar, but I already chose "Ax FX" under the AX Edit midi settings vs my Presonus Firebox...how else do I ensure the two bits of software don't step on each other's toes?

Looking forward to your settings post.

That shouldn't be the issue. MIDI ans ASIO are to completely different things. Under Audio/MIDI settings do you have anything set under the monitors tab? If you do, just uncheck Audio signal monitor/throughput and check simulate audio processing.

The main issue is you can't use the presonus and Axe-fx drivers at the same time (w/o something like ASIO4ALL - which has had moxed results).
You have to uncheck the Axe-fx II divers (I think you have to select the audio clock source too)), then the other drivers will be available.

Even easier, turn off the Axe-fx before you start sonar and the presonus will be enabled.\

For some reason, if the Axe-fx is on, Sonar like to grab it over other sound cards.

Back
Top Bottom