AXE FX II and Logic Pro 9 Setup Help - maybe I'm just not seeing a thread

rizzo

Inspired
I need help setting up my AxeFXII for some recording with Logic Pro 9. I'm having a hard time finding anyone that has just posted a simple "Step 1... Step 2..." for dummies like me.

Here a few screen shots of the computer and Logic settings.

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 9.38.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-11-08 at 9.38.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-11-08 at 9.39.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-11-08 at 9.39.37 PM.jpg

The guitar is plugged into the front of the AFII and the USB is running into my Mac which is running OS X Lion 10.7.5

Not sure what the settings should be on the AFII. Do I need to change any of my output settings on the AFII?

I have tried a stereo and a mono track, both record enabled. No sound. I see the lights on the front of the AFII so I know it is getting signal. Just not getting anything out of the computer. No sound. No signal at the track. The only way I have found to get any sound was to change the AFII's USB/Digi Out Source to "Input". I then get a crappy dry (no amp modeling) signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Is the Input on the channel strip set to Input 1&2 (stereo track)? Sorry, that's all I could think of - it should be pretty straightforward unless there is something else going on with the axefx. As always, I reboot everything whenever something weird seems to be happening.

Yes. Set to Input 1&2. I was thinking it should be very interesting. I may double check the Mac>Utilities>Audio settings.

Also, you got the USB driver from the support page? Again, sorry this is so elementary just find it always helps not to assume.

K.....in logic 9 audio device panel set output to axe fx...so both input and output should be set to axefx..... Your axe fx is connected to some amp or mixer or powered speakers...that's where your sound cones from.....now the Mac sound panel should also be axefx for output not headphones if want all your Mac sounds like iTunes,etc to come out the axefx.....

I think something else is going on here as he is getting no signal to the track in Logic, which wouldn't be affected by the output path. I also assumed other sounds were coming from Logic OK (maybe I shouldn't have).

K.....in logic 9 audio device panel set output to axe fx...so both input and output should be set to axefx..... Your axe fx is connected to some amp or mixer or powered speakers...that's where your sound cones from.....now the Mac sound panel should also be axefx for output not headphones if want all your Mac sounds like iTunes,etc to come out the axefx.....

I am running headphone out into some killer powered speakers or just using headphones directly out of Mac so I can hear all the tracks. If I want sound coming from Mac I'm 99% sure I do not want to set logic output to AxeFX.

I think something else is going on here as he is getting no signal to the track in Logic, which wouldn't be affected by the output path. I also assumed other sounds were coming from Logic OK (maybe I shouldn't have).

I do want all the tracks coming from the Mac so other sounds would be coming from Logic. You are correct, I am not getting any signal to the track.

on Axe front panel, hit I/O button, page to the right one screen to AUDIO, scroll down to make sure USB output is set to OUTPUT 1.

Are your track in LOGIC for output 1-2. Make sure in LOGIC your input source is AXE FX II, and the output source is the "built in output" so you can send all of the LOGIC audio to outboard speakers.

I initially had this problem. Mine turned out that I couldn't use a USB extension cable. Took the extension cable out, moved the Axe-FX closer to the Mac and it cleared up immediately and I actually got a good signal. Logic is pretty funky sometimes while recording; if you start to hear a long delay in between what you play and what comes out over your Mac, stop recording and then adjust the I/O Buffer Size in the Audio panel. I try to keep it between 32 and 128 samples because I find the lag time annoying above 9ms.

Logic is pretty funky sometimes while recording; if you start to hear a long delay in between what you play and what comes out over your Mac, stop recording and then adjust the I/O Buffer Size in the Audio panel. I try to keep it between 32 and 128 samples because I find the lag time annoying above 9ms.

For this reason, I like to monitor the axefx directly rather than thru Logic.

If you can get the USB audio to work, it's nice because you can go ahead and record the dry guitar signal to have just in case you want/need it (for re-amping or whatever). I have an outboard mixer to route all the monitoring; just gives me more options. So it goes AxeFx USB > Mac > Mixer > Speakers and then AxeFx Out1 L/R > Mixer > Speakers. Make sure the software monitoring in Logic is off in this scenario so you're not inadvertently hearing both signals.

Started from scratch and it's working now. Monitoring from the computer. No latency issues - then again, when I record, I have spotlight off, internet off, etc. The only thing that I did have to mess with was the amp level on each patch. In my case, live, I'm using the Marsha HBE. Level is at -17.5. That way at 12 o'clock (on the front panel) is middle of the road for FOH and I can go up or down depending on what he needs. Those knobs do nothing via USB so I had to raise the actual amp levels within each patch to -10. I may just program a "recording" version of each patch with different levels.

Still not sure how to setup all of that re-amping and recording the dry signal stuff. I will get into that at a later date. I am good for now as long as I can open a track and record some good tones from the AFII.

All you need do is create another audio track using input 3 from the AxeFx - this is the dry signal. With that, you can send it back through the Axe to use a different preset later.

Back
Top Bottom