Axe Fx II and Bass issue.

kenny_13

I've been using my Axe Fx II for awhile now with no issues at all. This has been purely with my guitar.

Recently I've tried using my bass guitar through it and have had a problem. When I play it makes a "crackling" sound. Almost like it is clipping on input, however it appears that this is not the case.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this, or if there is a setting I need to change?

Also, I was playing only through the Axe Fx and into the PA.

Thanks.

Just had to play this week and didn't notice any issues. Could it be a dying battery in the bass? Did you try just swapping out the bass with your guitar with the same cable & preset?

Yeah I tried my guitar in it straight away and it was fine and my bass sounds fine straight into my amp so it has me very confused.

to test, have you created a preset that uses only shunts? what does it sound like with the global bypass engaged? I've never heard a distortion like a clip overload in many years of proper Axefx use...only the overdriven distortion you'd expect from the different gain stages of the tube amp sims. Have you got a different bass that you can compare?

Yes, check another bass guitar first to rule out the options. There should be no clipping/distortion. Are you sure it isn't input (or output) clipping? With an active bass you might have to adjust the input levels especially if you play on same patch as you for guitar.

by the way Jimfirst: nice Wal on your Avatar! I also own two Wals (fretted MK1 and fretless Pro)
Are you playing with your Wal through the Axe fx?

remember that bass freqs will push up the VU / level meters because it carries a ton of energy

if the clip light is not coming on, you may be clipping the input of whatever the Axe is jacked into by virtue of all this additional energy coming from those lows..

try turning down the Axe's output to see if the clipping goes away..
if it does then you know where your prob is..
this being the case, if you want a larger level without clipping the unit that the Axe is jacked into
maybe try placing a multi-band compressor block at the end of the grid on your bass guitar presets to get the very energetic low freq transients under control

OP, please let us know how you make out with this. Have you checked the bass thru the AxeFx using the headphone out of the axeFx (into a good pair of cans)?

Had the same issue with a couple of patches-For guitar tuned down one octave.

P-bass and J-bass. Presets I got around FW3. No a volume issue. But LIKE the crackling sound you get when you exeed the processer power capability 90 % or so. Not CPU - overload. as I turned of (deleted) unused blocks.

AAEN

Back
Top Bottom