Axe-FX For The Recording Musician

In configuration #4, the connection between the Axe-FX and the audio interface (your step 2) is necessary for direct monitoring (See the "Direct Monitoring" topic in the recording guide). You can eliminate the connection between your Axe-FX and the audio interface only if you're monitoring through your DAW instead of direct monitoring (See the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide).

This is very useful! Thank you so much for your effort.

There is one question though, I have not found an answer yet:

I like to jam to backing tracks from Youtube or Apple Music - is there an easy way (without third party virtual cables or real cables) to route that audio to a DAW (Logic) when my FM9 is the (only) audio interface? I would like to record my guitar and the backing music while jamming. Logic "sees" all for of the FM9 stereo inputs, but I can't setup the FM9 to route the backing track to one of it's USB outs....

Thank you for your help.

Sure, that's no problem. Assuming you're using configuration #1 and you've selected the Axe-FX channels 1/2 as input and output in Logic:

1) Add a USB block to your preset as shown in the attached screenshot.
2) Launch the Audio/MIDI Setup app, choose the Axe-FX audio device, Configure Speakers, and choose channels 7 and 8 for speaker left and right.

Now when you record in your DAW, you'll record both your system audio and your guitar.

There are various refinements you can do with this. For example, in the grid, instead of merging the guitar and system audio into the Out1 block, send the guitar to Out1 and the usb audio to Out2, then record guitar and system audio into two separate tracks (usb channels 1/2 and 3/4) in your DAW (and turn on input monitoring for the second track).

parallel.png

Last edited:
Sure, that's no problem. Assuming you're using configuration #1 and you've selected the Axe-FX channels 1/2 as input and output in Logic:

1) Add a USB block to your preset as shown in the attached screenshot.
2) Launch the Audio/MIDI Setup app, choose the Axe-FX audio device, Configure Speakers, and choose channels 7 and 8 for speaker left and right.

Now when you record in your DAW, you'll record both your system audio and your guitar.

There are various refinements you can do with this. For example, in the grid, instead of merging the guitar and system audio into the Out1 block, send the guitar to Out1 and the usb audio to Out2, then record guitar and system audio into two separate tracks (usb channels 1/2 and 3/4) in your DAW (and turn on input monitoring for the second track).

View attachment 94441
Thank you so much! I will try that out asap.

I also tried to add the USB block to combine Spotify streaming audio to my guitar signal to record a jam as @GlennO illustrated in the above post. I am not getting any signal. Can anyone confirm if this is able to be done using Windows?

I also tried to add the USB block to combine Spotify streaming audio to my guitar signal to record a jam as @GlennO illustrated in the above post. I am not getting any signal. Can anyone confirm if this is able to be done using Windows?
That cannot be done on windows. The instructions above are only for a Mac.

Thanks for this Glenn! - excellent information.
I have, however an issue the DI recording level. when I re-amp a Di recording back into the AXFXIII, using USB 5/6. the level into the AXFX is a lot lower than the same Guitar instrument in. this means my re-amped sound is similar to a guitar that has the volume pot turned down. the only way I can fix this is to turn the USB 5/6 input up from 0dB to 20dB. I did not think I needed to do this. is this what everyone else has to do or am I missing something here?

No, that's not that's not usually necessary. The USB 5/6 channels are a direct feed from the instrument jack input, so it should be identical to your guitar input. Is there any chance the DI level is being reduced somewhere during recording or playback, either in your DAW or the Axe-FX? Which configuration are you using?

No, that's not that's not usually necessary. The USB 5/6 channels are a direct feed from the instrument jack input, so it should be identical to your guitar input. Is there any chance the DI level is being reduced somewhere during recording or playback, either in your DAW or the Axe-FX? Which configuration are you using?
OK thanks. That means I'm losing level somewhere else. I'll have to check.

I may have to try this with presonus studio one while I send off an interface to get moded at black lion audio.
Out of all things in the AFX 3 and even when I had the 2, I never understood most of the routing for computer interfacing.
I have read the manual again this time and still the latter half of the routing for computer interfacing I don't fully grasp. But will check this out and see if I have any questions.
But does anyone know if there are any purely visual diagrams that explain the routing for computer interfacing better?
I'm a more visual learner with more map-like charts and graphics. Am more like a logic gate type learner. By text is difficult for me because of misinterpreted abstraction in stuff like this as an amateur. Try to write me novels and it's anyone's guess how I will interpret it. Lol

So, I have tried every which way I can to have the DI signal going back into the AXFX match the Instrument level of the Guitar plugged into the Instrument in.
I even connected the guitar straight into my DAW (Studio One) - The level vs straight out of the AXFX (USB) vs AXFX DI using output 4 (set to copy input 1) are all the same. Going back into the AXFX the signal is definitely lower than the Guitar Instrument in.
I notice that the input level (SETUP: I/O: Input page) for Input 1 / Instrument is at 50%. is this possibly dropping the Instrument level by 50% every time the signal goes through this point? (Guitar plugged in, then the USB 5/6 level feeding the Instrument in on reamp?) should this be set to 100%?. also the USB input is set to 0dB
Anyone know what I might be missing here? Appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
No, except at extreme values, the input level doesn't affect the level going into the grid. Sorry, I've never seen anything like that. It sounds like your usb return level is turned down. If you're sure the level is not being changed in your DAW, maybe contact Fractal support.

No, except at extreme values, the input level doesn't affect the level going into the grid. Sorry, I've never seen anything like that. It sounds like your usb return level is turned down. If you're sure the level is not being changed in your DAW, maybe contact Fractal support.
Thanks Glenn, appreciate your response.
I will carry on investigating this, then maybe contact support. if you get a chance can you maybe test your DI input using USB 5/6? From your DAW? Is it just as loud as your guitar input? You say that the input level does not affect the level going into the grid, how come changing the volume pot on the guitar has an effect?
I may experiment using a input block set to USB 7/8 and see if the results change.
Sorry to be a pain lol.
thanks

I have shown below the initial DI recorded from the AXFX top track and then I have shown the reamped track below, set to the DI output from the AXFX - you can clearly see the difference in the signal which affects the signal going into the grid. so I'm not going mad. this will affect the how hard the amp and other blocks are driven on reamp.
I will contact support. this cannot be acceptable to anyone trying to re-amp.

1645892895946.png

@AngusV : what happened? Why did you delete your yesterday’s post?
I don't know what happened, but it seemed like a useful commentary on how configuration #5 worked well for him. I posted a reply to thank him for the kind words, but then I had to delete that when he deleted his post :).

I need some clarification for the configuration #5. I have Axe-Fx II XL+ and I am having a problem with the settings at the I/O page. Can perhaps someone copy-paste them here or shoot a screenshot?

I have created an aggregate device with the Axe-Fx III and an audio interface (EVO), see pic 1.
In Logic, I have set Preferences > Audio Input to Aggregate.
When adding a track, I can select an Axe-Fx channel (pic 2), but Logic displays "No Input Source Selected" when I start recording (pic 3).
Also, the track's Input field lets me select the audio interface only, not the Axe-Fx (pic 4).
Any ideas?

pic 1:
Schermafbeelding 2022-06-01 om 20.37.34.png

pic 2:
Schermafbeelding 2022-06-01 om 20.37.45.png

pic 3:
Schermafbeelding 2022-06-01 om 20.38.00.png

pic 4:
Schermafbeelding 2022-06-01 om 20.38.08.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't recall seeing that before. When I use an aggregate in Logic, a stereo track input menu shows all the stereo channel pairs. Was the Axe-FX turned on when you launched Logic? This might be one of those things where you set your audio device in Logic, then re-launch it.

Back
Top Bottom