Axe-Fx for bass?

Henry Gupta

First off, I am very sorry if this has all ready been answered in another thread, but can the axe-fx be used with a bass. I have an Ibanez K5 and I need a better sound with it, and I have heard about the axe-fx through Periphery. Thanks: =)

Do you mean Axe-Fx as the original Standard Axe-Fx or the Axe-Fx II?
The Axe-Fx II has a Ampeg SVT model and works incredibly well for bass!

My next endeavor with the Axe II (when I get the time) is to create some patches that allow for use with guitar and bass at the same time (2 separate inputs, effect chains, and outputs)

Yes, works great with several options. I know some folks have an issue with the pitch shifter, but I feel it works great. We play two 311 songs where I shift down to a B and a QOTSA song where I shift down to C.

Yes. AxeFx for bass is very cool. I use the SVT model with Redwirez Big Box IRs in the user slots (for more variety of 8x10 cabinet emulations).

The SVT model in the AxeFx is for all intents the only amp model that made its true bona fides as a bass guitar amp, although there are a few others that can yield very good results, depending on what you are looking for. Vintage tones out of the Bassman models can be used since the virtual world allows you to amplify the "good parts" of the tone without having to deal with the "bad parts" that rear their ugly head when using a REAL Bassman (not loud enough to keep up, and things start to "flub" out). The Hi-Watt simulation can also be pretty cool. Another neat trick is to engage the SVT amp model, but then go into the Tone Stack type (advanced parameter) and change it from Passive (default) to one of the many other tone stacks available to you. Really a lot of options, depending on what you like, and how deep you want to go into the unit.

Some users don't even bother with cabinet simulations (or even Amp simulations) and rather utilize EQ blocks, compression (and/or multi-band compression), Drive (pedal) blocks, resonator blocks, etc. That's the beauty of the AxeFx: so many different tools at your disposal. The key is knowing what to do with those tools.

Reactions: dsl
Back
Top Bottom