Axe-FX first gig review

james...

Experienced
So I've tried this thing at a few practices and sound checks and such, but tonight was the first real gig with a fair crowd. I'd say 100-200 people.

My rig was as follows. Ibanez RG550 > Axe FX > Carvin DCM600 > VHT 4x12 > Cad mic.
All controlled by a Behringer FCB1010 and Ernie Ball expression.

I've had some trouble in the past with my tone not cutting through the mix. I decided to set the global EQ for boosted mids slightly laid back highs. Not too bassy either. Just tried to get an even tone with enough mids to punch through. The VHT cab pretty much served as my monitor. I couldn't hear much of my tone from the stage monitors or the PA so I made do with that. It worked nicely. All my notes were very clear and organic. Probably the best overall tone I've ever had live. Cleans were nice. Distorted sounds were punchy and sat great in the mix. Solo sounds were very articulate. Everything worked great.

The show itself was killer. Seven songs with the crowd going wild and a requested encore. Everyone including the engineer loved my tone. I was quite pleased.

I should also say, a few weeks ago I wasn't sure if the AXE was going to cut it live. Tonight assured me that yes, it will be just fine. All it needed was a good tampering with the global EQ and some sensible setup.

Back
Top Bottom