Axe fx + Carvin TS100

Had TS100
A/B'd TS100 to Carvin DCM1540L
Sold TS100
DCM1540L is lighter, no tubes

This.

Forget the TS100. Trying to bias that thing is an exercise in a quick electrocution. Hook up an ammeter in the main current to get a reading? No thanks.

Also, it's a very flat amplifier, mainly meant for hi-fi use. You're not getting any kind of tube compression or coloration.

I have the DCM1540L and it freakin rocks. Don't even sweat another minute of it.

I used to have the TS100 back when I had an Ultra... it definitely made the ultra sound much better. It gave it a really nice top end sizzle, but the low end thump was lacking a bit. The TS100 I had was only running on one channel making it on a 50 watter.

Now I am running my Axe2 with the Carvin DCM1504L and what I love the most is the weight of the two in the 4u rack. It weighs just about the same as my Ibanez sz guitar and case! Much lighter than when I ran it with the F1200 in the 6u. That, on top of 750 watts at 4ohm is a no brainer for me.

I had one of these for a while a swell (borrowed it from a friend)
was not impressed at all.

Does it have enough power fo the 4x12 application? I am thinking of trying a solidstate power amp as right now I am using thr power section of my 5150 which is a lot of wear & tear on the head and my hernia lol.

The thing I think I am most concerned of running that way is losing the top end sizzle/glassiness of the tubes. I know that the fractal is supposed to deliver that....what's your experiences?

The thing I think I am most concerned of running that way is losing the top end sizzle/glassiness of the tubes. I know that the fractal is supposed to deliver that....what's your experiences?

I compared the DCM1540L to running into the return of my Mesa. Could not tell the difference.

Does it have enough power fo the 4x12 application? I am thinking of trying a solidstate power amp as right now I am using thr power section of my 5150 which is a lot of wear & tear on the head and my hernia lol.

Easily drives 1 or 2 4x12's louder than what you would likely ever need. No loss of high end (or low end), actually covers a broader frequency range than most tube power amps I've used.

I liked the TS100 with my ultra with power amp simulation on. I didn't care for the TS100 with my II. I'm currently using the ART SLA -2 with great results.

I liked the TS100 with my ultra with power amp simulation on. I didn't care for the TS100 with my II. I'm currently using the ART SLA -2 with great results.
So what was the difference soundwise between FRFR and TS100/cab ? It sounded bad with power amp sim off ?

I thought it was anemic sounding with out power amp sims. Probably could have fixed it with EQing..

Back
Top Bottom