Axe Fx and in ears

Jvstrat

Experienced
I use a set of ultimate ears when using my axe at church. I was thinking about grabbing a new set with all the sales going on. My local guitar center carries the shure se 215, 315, and Westone Um pro 10. What are you guys using? Also is there a big difference between the 215 and 315 for guitar players or are 215 fine?

I’ve never tried the SE315 but have been using the SE215s for over a year now at church and for other activities (running primarily). We used to use them through our own P16s and an X32 board but tried to move to the X32m app before iOS11 screwed everything up.

I really enjoy the 215s, and coming from Apple headphones and the cheap Panasonic’s the church buys, they’re a huge step up. I’ve never felt like I’ve been missing anything.

The Westone’s are pretty standard hand outs at most church’s I’ve played for. The are good for getting the job done. If you really want to get everything you can out of the mix I would suggest the Westone Pro 30s. They have three sets of drivers and will deliver a professional experience. Also, do some research on custom molds. You won’t regret it. Sorry to suggest you spend 3 to 5 times more than you wanted, but the investment is well worth it.

Sadly I think one of my custom-molded IEMs are failing after several years of use. Used them today at church with our Aviom system and had almost no sound in the right ear. I have a new cable on order and crossing my fingers this corrects the problem.

But I'm considered 'non-custom molds', like maybe the Shure 535 series.... just for the simplicity of not being wedded to a single pair of custom molded phones.

Anyone have experience with the Shure 535s ?

Sadly I think one of my custom-molded IEMs are failing after several years of use. Used them today at church with our Aviom system and had almost no sound in the right ear. I have a new cable on order and crossing my fingers this corrects the problem.

But I'm considered 'non-custom molds', like maybe the Shure 535 series.... just for the simplicity of not being wedded to a single pair of custom molded phones.

Stupid question but did you check to see if there is ear wax clogging the bore. Sometimes it gets in deep and will do what your describing.

For what it's worth, Westone UM2 is what I use. Also compared my 7 year old UM2's to the new Westone UM1's. No appreciable difference at my ear drum. I use the Westone UM2 every time I play my AxeFx, whether at home for practice or off site for rehearsal or performance. Wouldn't consider another way. The key is to make sure they seal well in the ear canal to maximize the sound isolation and thus, maximize the sound experience at your ear drum but you most likely already know that because you're not a stranger to IEM's.

the only reason i don't like the Westone UM series is that the earbuds - the universal fit things - can SLIDE OFF very easily. there's no notch or anything to hold them in place. when they're new, no problem, but as you sweat on them and things build up, it will stay in your ear, sliding off the IEM when you remove the IEMs.

I'd get those customs fixed. It sounds like a wax issue like WorshipGuy said. Sometimes it is not visible. Sweat and wax vaporize and collect in the dampers (little colored or metal filter rings in the tubes if you have clear shells) and start to choke off the sound. Sometimes skin cells can get on the screens of the dampers and choke out the sound. Balanced armature drivers are REALLY hard to blow out in the traditional sense so a rule of thumb is this. If it rattles or distorts (and it is not just gain related) the driver has some shock damage. Usually from dropping them or something like that. If if start to lose sound, or the imaging is off, its almost always wax buildup somewhere. Most companies should be able to replace the tubes for you to keep you going.

Especially since you said you have almost no sound. That would almost certainly be buildup in the tubes or dampers.

I use a set of ultimate ears when using my axe at church. I was thinking about grabbing a new set with all the sales going on. My local guitar center carries the shure se 215, 315, and Westone Um pro 10. What are you guys using? Also is there a big difference between the 215 and 315 for guitar players or are 215 fine?
I highly recommend the Westone Ambient 30's. Call Sweetwater and ask them for their best price. Typically can get them for $370 if ask. Amazing In Ears!

Been using IEM with my Axe for about 6 years as has our singer and guitarist. Just a footnote we play in a hybrid band to a partial back track on silent stage. I started with Westone 4R, from a Sweetwater recommendation, and it was a good sounding experience. One finally went out and we ordered the Shure SE215 in emergency. Comparitively they were good for just that. An emergency. The experience was lacking however they did have a surprising bass response.

With the 4R no longer available I called Westone. He said 'interesting... the 4R isn't a in ear monitor per se'. It's just a good set of earbuds. I recommend the 3 driver UM30 or AM30. UM = isolated, AM = Ambient. I asked even over the 5 driver UM50? He said 'yes in your situation and for guitarist' the 3 driver is recommended.

So I got the UM30 and they are very decent for the price. I keep them very clean with 'lens wipes' from Wally world to prevent what Chris mentions and replace the pad inserts pretty regularly. For the singer we ordered the ambient model (AM30) because she doesn't like the total isolated sound much. Personally I did not like them at all.

All of the above equations could drastically change in a 4 or 5 piece live band relying on stage sound for interaction. You might like the ambient model but for me the UM30 was a killer deal. FWIW I don't care what the guy says I'm going to get the UM50's to try out the 5-driver model...lol.

Been using IEM with my Axe for about 6 years as has our singer and guitarist. Just a footnote we play in a hybrid band to a partial back track on silent stage. I started with Westone 4R, from a Sweetwater recommendation, and it was a good sounding experience. One finally went out and we ordered the Shure SE215 in emergency. Comparitively they were good for just that. An emergency. The experience was lacking however they did have a surprising bass response.

With the 4R no longer available I called Westone. He said 'interesting... the 4R isn't a in ear monitor per se'. It's just a good set of earbuds. I recommend the 3 driver UM30 or AM30. UM = isolated, AM = Ambient. I asked even over the 5 driver UM50? He said 'yes in your situation and for guitarist' the 3 driver is recommended.

So I got the UM30 and they are very decent for the price. I keep them very clean with 'lens wipes' from Wally world to prevent what Chris mentions and replace the pad inserts pretty regularly. For the singer we ordered the ambient model (AM30) because she doesn't like the total isolated sound much. Personally I did not like them at all.

All of the above equations could drastically change in a 4 or 5 piece live band relying on stage sound for interaction. You might like the ambient model but for me the UM30 was a killer deal. FWIW I don't care what the guy says I'm going to get the UM50's to try out the 5-driver model...lol.
What did you not like about the Ambient 30's? What difference with the UM30's?

Great info guys!

I intend to get in there with the cleaning tool tonight and a magnifying glass. Going to evaluate the internals best as I can with magnifier since they have clear frontshells. Also going to see if I have way blobbed down in the tube somewhere although they look pretty clean right now.

you'd be surprised how much wax buildup can affect them. it doesn't take much to totally clog them up

Westone user here (UM Pro 50). It comes with foam and silicone mushroom tips. The foam tips aren't bad. I use Comply tips, though. They seem more forgiving when you open your mouth or smile.

I started with Audio Technica ATH-E40 (silicone mushroom tips) just to see if could jive with IEMS. Now I keep them for backup, travel, and the gym. I also converted these to Comply tips.

I found a killer deal on a set of U10 or 12's can't remember at the moment. I LOVE them. I was going to go custom earmold, but read that our ears keep changing shape and the molds will only last for a few years before you need a new earmold made. I HIGHLY recommend the comply foam tips...they are super comfy and give a great seal!!! I ordered some with the wax guard and it works well.

Is it the v2 ones you have?

I found a killer deal on a set of U10 or 12's can't remember at the moment. I LOVE them. I was going to go custom earmold, but read that our ears keep changing shape and the molds will only last for a few years before you need a new earmold made. I HIGHLY recommend the comply foam tips...they are super comfy and give a great seal!!! I ordered some with the wax guard and it works well.

I bought them from a guy that did the kickstarter campaign, so V1...I think the only difference is they changed the adel capsule to the new name when they stopped partnering with the company who invented the capsule (this is my recollection, correct me if I'm wrong). I just went to the website and see they don't offer all the models in universal fit any longer.

Back
Top Bottom