Axe-Fx and in-ear monitoring?

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm probably going to use my Sennheiser ear buds as in-ears for my Axe-Fx. Now, is there any output in the back panel that is in stereo? What kind of a cable do I use for digital out?

SPDIF cable is stereo. But that is digital and I don't think the sennheiser has digital inputs does it? Or does the new G3 have that?

oddb0d said:
SPDIF cable is stereo. But that is digital and I don't think the sennheiser has digital inputs does it? Or does the new G3 have that?

No they don't... I'm pretty sure I can connect them together with a plug or something. WHY DID THEY NOT INCLUDE A PHONES OUTPUT IN THE AXE-FX?!

Using IEM's as a headphone system on the Axe-FX: I've been using a pair of Westone UM2's, driven by a Behringer headphone amp (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... D=26019423) ever since I got my Ultra 15 months ago. You will need some type of headphone amp to "go direct" from the Axe-FX to headphones. I use the 1/4" left and right T/S jacks from output 1 into the TRS jack on the headphone amp. (you'll need a cable like this: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=330898) I made my own cable.

Using IEM's live as a monitor system I use the Westone UM2's through an AVIOM system.

I absolutely LOVE my IEMs. I have a Shure PSM600 System with SCL5 Ear Buds which sound awesome! They are dual driver so i get crystal clear highs and tight bottom end that never breaks up. I get a line out to the monitor desk from my Ultra and then a send back to my IEM Transmitter. I used to run stereo but now i'm happy enough with a mono rig. I pretty much get a mix of the whole band (we're a 10 pce) so getting a perfect mix anywhere on the stage is incredible.

I've got one of those cables too and I own a mini-mixer so it's not a problem... I'm just trying to keep things really simple and it's a pretty complicated setup. I've got ear buds and I used them when I recorded a stadium loud guitar amp in the same room so they should work well.

I'm using Axe-Fx into a Shure P4M, then into a Mipro 808 T/R wireless rig, then into Westone UM-3 IEMs.

The P4M 4-ch. line mixer allows me to take an ears mix from the monitor console and blend it with the output of the Axe-FX (and a Moog Little Phatty) before sending it to the IEMs. I get to control my own "more me" levels, and the built-in splitter part of the P4M lets me send the Axe-Fx (and keyboard) straight through to the monitor/FOH splitters without attentuation.

This is an amazingly flexible rig, and it all fits in 1U of rack space!

I use Westome UM3X (amazing clarity and seemingly no hyped frequencies. Very flat feeling which is awesome) out of our Aviom system and my Senn IEM system.. As others have said you'll need to get through some sort of mixing interface to get the IEM transmitter.

Back
Top Bottom