axe fx and diezel vh4

Is it possible to use my mfc 101 to change channels on my diezel vh4 and add effects through the axe fx 2? if so can some explain how this is done?

Thanks.

I reckon you can...
but how you do it will depend upon if you want to switch the VH4 per preset or per scene

As a former VH4 owner... I have to wonder how long it'll be until you just decide to use the AxeFxII on its own.

But, to answer your question, I would have to think this is possible. MFC-->Axe-->MIDI out-->VH4... seems legit? Plus, with all the loops the VH4 has and the two outs from the Axe, you might be able to come up with some really crazy routing, like using the series VH4 loop for all normal post FX and the parallel VH4 loop for the Axe's looper (from the other output). Or whatever. Could be crazy and cool is all I'm saying.

I have to chime in on Rotti's comment. Every time i have tried the 4cm method with any modeler/tube amp, it always SUCKS
compared to just running it through a power amp. Or just running the tube amp. Each sound best on their own, always! If you
want to integrate the 2, the best way is w/d/w, ie.. Diezel in the middle, with it's own cab or attenuated with line out to
axe/power amp/cabs for effects. Plus you can mix the diezel, with an amp sim etc...

connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out on the Axe to the Midi In on VH4. set MIDI THRU to ON in the I/O Midi menu on the Axe.

change to a preset using the MFC-101. on the VH4, select the correct amp channel. press store twice on the VH4. that should be it. repeat for other presets. (you must send the MFC command FIRST, then set the VH4, then Store, in that order.)

VH4 responds to Preset/Program change messages only. if you want channels to change via Scenes, it's more complicated to setup and a bit more limiting, as that Scene switch will always choose that Amp channel.

Last edited:
thank you so much
I don't see a MIDI THRU on my I/O midi menu? Axe FX II XL

this is what I see

MIDI CHANNEL 1
MFC PORT faslink
MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT on
PROG CHANGE on
MAPPING MODE none

Last edited:

this is what I see

MIDI CHANNEL 1
MFC PORT faslink
MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT on
PROG CHANGE on
MAPPING MODE none

I have to chime in on Rotti's comment. Every time i have tried the 4cm method with any modeler/tube amp, it always SUCKS
compared to just running it through a power amp. Or just running the tube amp. Each sound best on their own, always! If you
want to integrate the 2, the best way is w/d/w, ie.. Diezel in the middle, with it's own cab or attenuated with line out to
axe/power amp/cabs for effects. Plus you can mix the diezel, with an amp sim etc...

I tend to agree, with the caveat "sound... subjective... blah blah."
It can be done and done well though. It's just SUCH a balancing act with the send & return levels to get everything playing nicely on all channels, and whoops did you put a noisy cable in there somewhere, etc... Big PITA if you ask me, which... no one did... but I'll pretend like you did and click the "Post Quick Reply" button anyways.

this is what I see

MIDI CHANNEL 1
MFC PORT faslink
MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT on
PROG CHANGE on
MAPPING MODE none

Is there anything below that?

What firmware is your Axe on? Check the manual. It shows Midi Thru option. Maybe someone with an XL can help you find it?

As a former VH4 owner... I have to wonder how long it'll be until you just decide to use the AxeFxII on its own.

But, to answer your question, I would have to think this is possible. MFC-->Axe-->MIDI out-->VH4... seems legit? Plus, with all the loops the VH4 has and the two outs from the Axe, you might be able to come up with some really crazy routing, like using the series VH4 loop for all normal post FX and the parallel VH4 loop for the Axe's looper (from the other output). Or whatever. Could be crazy and cool is all I'm saying.

So I have to ask you the question... as a previous VH-4 owner, how close do you reckon the models in the A2 get to the original in tone and feel? If so which model in the A2 is your go to for that Diezel tone?

To provide an alternate take on 4CM - it had been a long time since I had run a rig in 4CM (and the last time was with a wildly inferior product) so i was a little leery. I set up my Orange Dual Dark in 4 CM though recently as the Dual Dark isn't modeled, and I have been absolutely thrilled with how quiet the rig is, and how pure the Dual Dark tone is with any number of FX on or off. And virtually no tweaking levels or settings to get it there. Just plugged in the right cables, tweaked a couple settings, and modified a few presets, and voila. Thrilled.

im using firmware 18.12 the manual says on the midi paramters the MIDI THRU option should be between the MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT and the PROG CHANGE but its not on my axe? there is no MIDI THRU option?

So I have to ask you the question... as a previous VH-4 owner, how close do you reckon the models in the A2 get to the original in tone and feel? If so which model in the A2 is your go to for that Diezel tone?
For me, it's the silver, but I also owned a silverface vh4. While the Axe's vh4 isn't a dead on match to MY vh4, it's definitely diezel tone. Close enough to chalk up the difference to that of one amp to another of the same model.

Silver ch4 is such a killer lead amp in the Axe, but I don't use the vh4's for heavy that much anymore... kinda gravitated to the uber over time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom