Axe-Fx and CLR sighting

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
We opened for a Jimi Hendrix tribute band tonight called Hendrix Lives. Guitarist is Lenny Holmes, a local Richmond, VA guy with some grammy nominations and he's just a monster player. He arrived in character and costume to set up, stayed in character the whole time, and changed into a DIFFERENT costume to play. And man, can this dude play. We've played together before a few years back and he was running a GT-10 into a clean JVM410H, and he had great tone then.

Tonight he was running two Marshall full JVM stacks, 2 Atomic CLR cabs, Axe-FX II, MFC, and Mission pedals. Tone was all Axe-Fx with cab blocks through CLR's and mains. The JVM's had a signal into their returns without cab blocks, but the volume on them was very low, so they were mostly for show.

Absolutely, without a doubt the BEST Axe-Fx tone I've ever heard. Period. Nobody around here that's using an Axe has tone like this guy. Just fantastic. It was far more modern than Jimi's, but as my keyboard player noted, this is probably what he'd sound like if he was still alive. They are going to be touring around, so watch their website for dates and catch them if you can. I was never a big Hendrix fan, but these guys made me one.

Check out the crazy setup. I had my little DT25 combo off to one side and it just looked dwarfed, but it did keep up in the mix just fine.

NJQVntm.jpg

Reactions: yek
Yes , when we were young we like all this ultimate guitarists ... Age give us some wisdom so now we are able to see the origins of all this monster guitarist out there ... I can say without doubt Hendrix , Beck and only few more ARE the electric guitar

I'm a 40 years old metaller ... So my apologize Satriani, Malmsteen , Petrucci fans ... Now I see the light !!

I'm 44, so when I started playing my hero was EVH, among others in the blossoming 80's hair metal scene. Hendrix seemed so...old school. Low gain, old fashioned, etc. I just didn't get it until I became a better player and understood what he was about. Even then, I still wasn't gaga over him. But this guy's style and persona, seeing it live...holy crap. The Hendrix Foundation says they're the only ones "doing it right". I can see why.

I gotta follow these guys- how often do they do this show? Do they take it on the road? Hope they will make it down to Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

I know they've played the Norva down there. And I understand they're going to the big Hendrix festival out in Washington state this year. Last night's show was in Mechanicsville.

Back
Top Bottom