axe fx amp not in the room

melodisk

question,i love the on stage amp in the room feeling,i love the sound and punch i have close to me from my 2x12 cab,
im not a fan of the 'sound like a record thing' on stage.to me it can even be a bad blend with the band to sound to perfect,hendrix with a frfr, who knows.....
i just want marshall to be marshall,and fender to be fender.
im using the axe through a matrix with a 2x12 v30 port city cab,its all good stuff,i tried atomics frfr with no luck,it was
a very good sound and i wish it had the amp in room feel,but it didnt.
im thinking that the 'feel' im missing might be the 4 cable method,
maybe some 4 cm guys can confirm this,im getting a bit tired hunting
down the 'feel' that i use to have,its stupid to say this but i just want an super natural amp that
can give me the sound and effects i need, im a producer and work a lot with music,
the axe is perfect in studio,but i dream i will kill an tube amp somehow,with an axe in the room feel.
how ?

depest respect for fractal and cliff,keep it coming chief

Then the axe through anything but a true guitar cab isn't going to make you happy. It is a different sound obviously, and if you don't like going FRFR then don't. Play what you like, and just keep playing!!

question,i love the on stage amp in the room feeling,i love the sound and punch i have close to me from my 2x12 cab,
im not a fan of the 'sound like a record thing' on stage.to me it can even be a bad blend with the band to sound to perfect,hendrix with a frfr, who knows.....
i just want marshall to be marshall,and fender to be fender.
im using the axe through a matrix with a 2x12 v30 port city cab,its all good stuff,i tried atomics frfr with no luck,it was
a very good sound and i wish it had the amp in room feel,but it didnt.
im thinking that the 'feel' im missing might be the 4 cable method,
maybe some 4 cm guys can confirm this,im getting a bit tired hunting
down the 'feel' that i use to have,its stupid to say this but i just want an super natural amp that
can give me the sound and effects i need, im a producer and work a lot with music,
the axe is perfect in studio,but i dream i will kill an tube amp somehow,with an axe in the room feel.
how ?

depest respect for fractal and cliff,keep it coming chief

Can't imagine 4 CM will do it! You need a guitar cab!

I agree. 4CM is not the answer. Connect that Matrix to some real guitar cabs.

Turn the tweeter down on the Atomic and it should sound like a cab. I know what you are saying. I go through phases where FRFR is not good enough as the good old days with the 4x12 V30, and sometimes it is OK. This forum has many experienced users and the latest advice on bumping up the mids via a PEQ for playing loud is taking care of many of my gripes with FRFR.

I agree. 4CM is not the answer. Connect that Matrix to some real guitar cabs.

+1. Just disable cab emulations on the output feeding the power amp. I do this with my Ultra and that rig is an in your face beast. Will work just as well if not better with a II.

This is what I would do...
Keep the 2x12 w/V30s

Get something like a Mesa 2:90 Mesa 50:50 if you want stereo...or any big or small tube head with an fx loop will work if you want mono...

Plug the axe into the fx loop return and just slave the power amp section of the amp into the 2x12 cab (keep power amp simulation ON and turnspeaker simulation OFF)

To me that will get you the stage amp/amp in room sound- and also amply if it the most 'guitar amp like'

obviously you wont be able to switch speakers/cabs in the axe- but vintage 30s can sound like anything and overall are the best at getting every sound- so to me this rig will make it feel real- AND the marshalls will sound like marshalls, mesas sound like mesas, fenders sound like fenders etc...

I have both....

I use the AxeII in 4CM with a Splawn Quickrod and get some amazing results with a 2x12 guitar cab.
Then I bought a Matrix GT1000FX and used that with the AxeII.... It took me a while to dial it in and really get the feel and tone I was used to hearing with my cabs. But now, it is like I never switched from tubes....

You can, and will get that feel your used to....just takes a bit of time to really get into the unit and...once you do....you'll get better at achieving that tone you love.

See my signature below. I use both real cabs and FRFR together, and I think you get the best of both worlds. Guitar cabs are typically pretty thin and FRFR has too much highs and bass, but together I can get a pretty wicked tone.

I prefer an actual amp for live. I use a red plate black loop and use the axe as a virtual pedal board straight in to the amp, with ought 4cm. I just think that's how I used my pedals so why not the axe, I don't want it to sound too perfect. I'm very happy using it that way, for recording I think the amp sims work well.

I used the Matrix GT1000FX for a while but have recently returned to my Atomic 50/50 tube amp because to my ears it just sounds more authentic and detailed.

I used the Matrix GT1000FX for a while but have recently returned to my Atomic 50/50 tube amp because to my ears it just sounds more authentic and detailed.

Totally agree. Used fryette, matrix, retro sonic, and atomic. Atomic sounds full , thick, and has the umf. Retro sounds pretty close. But the atomic I feel in my chest.

Thanks guys, some really good answers here,
i think i will experiment a little, maybe combine matrix/frfr with a 2:90 or Vht pushing a real cab,
it could become a be a killer rig :)

I have axeFX2 -> Mesa 2:90 -> Mesa 4x12
Poweramp on, Cab off

Earlier I've played through Mark V/Triaxis and triple rectifier.
With this setup I can nail all these (and more) and the effects in the same 2 HE unit.
Amazing!

Sorry if I offend someone by asking this, but isnt it a bit unnecessary to run w/d/w rig when you can route the effects in parallel in the grid.
That would be similar to run w/d/w as i see it.
Or am i missing something here. Probably, yes.

I've used the Atomic FR with my AxeFx for quite some time now and never had problems with tone or feel, compared to the regular tube amp + guitar cab setup I had.

I'm also in the group of running FRFR and power amp ->guitar cab in stereo
I run my RCF from output 1 and I run ouput 2 into a Peavey JSX combo (surprisingly flat power amp)
and I split the effects on my grid so it's somwhat wet/dry.
sounds enormous even at low volume and the JSX speakers let the amp sims come thru
very nicely (150 watt V30 clones)
I used to run a Mesa 50/50, my Mesa patches sounded spot on
I alos ran a marshall power amp, an ART SLA2 and a Carvin Ts100 .
this Peavey setp up is by far the best sounding and most flexible Axe Rig I've assemble to date.
From the sound of posts I think you'd be happiest going this route.
Peavey should really think about selling the power amp from the JSX as a stand alone product.

Totally agree. Used fryette, matrix, retro sonic, and atomic. Atomic sounds full , thick, and has the umf. Retro sounds pretty close. But the atomic I feel in my chest.

I've been interested in hearing from someone that has tried all 3 (Matrix/Retro/Atomic) amps. I have yet to find a SS amp that IMO has the punch of a tube power amp at higher volumes (just my experience). Out of curiousity, which Matrix were you using? For tube amps, I like the fact that the Atomic has independent standby switches, allowing use of one channel with no load on the other.

Sorry if I offend someone by asking this, but isnt it a bit unnecessary to run w/d/w rig when you can route the effects in parallel in the grid.
That would be similar to run w/d/w as i see it.
Or am i missing something here. Probably, yes.

For me W/D/W or W/D rigs are all about what you hear on stage or on stage and in the audience for small gigs where a backline carries the room.

There is a clarity to W/D when separate amplifiers and speakers are used. Far from an expert on sound here, but I'm guessing it might be less intermodulation? i.e. using separate speakers systems makes both the W and D tones clearer.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom