Axe fx 2xl+ and what frfr or marshall cab

dharq

Inspired
so i am in the midst of trying to decide right now, on what to get.

I’m a metal/black metal / shred guitar style player and want a crushing sound - with a band and the axe fx is like to be able to be heard well and for who ever hears it.

I have a marshall 1960b, axe fx 2 xl+, furman pl-plus dmc, I am thinking about
getting out of the cab and into either yorkville ps12p or Yamaha dxr12 is this a good idea vs power amp and cab

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/parasource/product/ps12p/

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/dxr/index.html

Do you think the powered speakers will have enough to get past the drummer and bass and vocals - don’t want to get washed out I want it to stand out ...

I have been using tube amps a long time and decided axe fx was a better idea because I can record direct and choose what ever sounds I want

In that price range, I'd probably go with an Atomic CLR. Smaller, lighter, transparent, and LOUD if you need it but still sounds good at lower volumes too. Loved by many here on the forum, myself included. There's quite a few other great options these days though. All those cabs are in the 120+ dB range for continuous output level (threshold of pain). If you can't cut through with that, something else is likely wrong. FRFR can take some getting used to if you are accustomed to traditional cabs. Their dispersion pattern is much wider and more even, particularly in the highs, so don't expect a full range 1x12+horn to behave the same way in the room as a big, directional 4x12 cab. The high cut in the cab block can help to tame the high end and give you the warmer off-axis sound that many are accustomed to with real cabs. If possible, try both approaches and see which you prefer. Some folks don't bond with FRFR and stick with real cabs. If you want maximum flexibility and convenience, FRFR wins. If you want that familiar cranked amp in the room sound and feel, real cabs are hard to beat. A lot of it is personal preference.

In that price range, I'd probably go with an Atomic CLR. Smaller, lighter, transparent, and LOUD if you need it but still sounds good at lower volumes too. Loved by many here on the forum, myself included. There's quite a few other great options these days though. All those cabs are in the 120+ dB range for continuous output level (threshold of pain). If you can't cut through with that, something else is likely wrong. FRFR can take some getting used to if you are accustomed to traditional cabs. Their dispersion pattern is much wider and more even, particularly in the highs, so don't expect a full range 1x12+horn to behave the same way in the room as a big, directional 4x12 cab. The high cut in the cab block can help to tame the high end and give you the warmer off-axis sound that many are accustomed to with real cabs. If possible, try both approaches and see which you prefer. Some folks don't bond with FRFR and stick with real cabs. If you want maximum flexibility and convenience, FRFR wins. If you want that familiar cranked amp in the room sound and feel, real cabs are hard to beat. A lot of it is personal preference.
Well I am looking to be able to cut through and ability to have what ever tone I come up with .. was mostly worried about tone volume and proper colour in the mix

I have for in the house two JBL LSR305 monitors which sound pretty great

Last edited:
Check out Xitone as well. I recently played through an MBritt vs my CLRs and was pleasantly blown away by it. Just recently ordered an Active Wedge to augment my CLRs. Even though I don't have much stick time on the Xitone, I think I would prefer it over my CLRs if this was my main source of sound (no FOH).

Check out Xitone as well. I recently played through an MBritt vs my CLRs and was pleasantly blown away by it. Just recently ordered an Active Wedge to augment my CLRs. Even though I don't have much stick time on the Xitone, I think I would prefer it over my CLRs if this was my main source of sound (no FOH).
I’ll take a look at them

First off, the axe is only going to sound as great as u can make it sound. Why do u want to ditch the cab-amp set up?? If you're really a hardcore metalhead and even play extended range drop tune stuff like me, I'd stick with a poweramp and cab if u really want that power for the punch and I'm talking real metal not some AC/DC riffs. Also based on experience, if you thought about Mission Engineering Cabs I'd avoid them. Although they sound absolutely incredible, and I play metal too, I went through 3 of them until I finally ditched them. I'm currently in the market for a 100w poweramp/cab because I realized with something like the AxeFx in my rig there's not much difference tone wise between a cranked FRFR and my poweramp cab after some good amount of tweaking some EQ's and stuff. Let me know what u go with and how it works out \m/

First off, the axe is only going to sound as great as u can make it sound. Why do u want to ditch the cab-amp set up?? If you're really a hardcore metalhead and even play extended range drop tune stuff like me, I'd stick with a poweramp and cab if u really want that power for the punch and I'm talking real metal not some AC/DC riffs. Also based on experience, if you thought about Mission Engineering Cabs I'd avoid them. Although they sound absolutely incredible, and I play metal too, I went through 3 of them until I finally ditched them. I'm currently in the market for a 100w poweramp/cab because I realized with something like the AxeFx in my rig there's not much difference tone wise between a cranked FRFR and my poweramp cab after some good amount of tweaking some EQ's and stuff. Let me know what u go with and how it works out \m/
Hmmm that’s interesting I am planning to AB a power amp and cab vs powered speaker in the next few days I’ll report back soon as I know what I hear sounds bette for worse in either direction definitely something to think about

Hmmm that’s interesting I am planning to AB a power amp and cab vs powered speaker in the next few days I’ll report back soon as I know what I hear sounds bette for worse in either direction definitely something to think about
make sure you read up on how to set up the Axe-Fx II for those 2 situations. For example.... When using the amp and cab, turn off Cab Modeling (and Power Amp Modeling, if you're using a tube power amp). Etc.

yea for sure .. I have the fractal manual here - so out of morbid curiosity , out of the power amp your supposed to run speaker cable
I dont see a section that says loud speaker on the Axe FX , it just says input : l/r balanced and unbalanced l /r

so I go speaker cable out the cab into the power amp, then out power amp instrument or XLR cable to the axe fx I am guessing

make sure you read up on how to set up the Axe-Fx II for those 2 situations. For example.... When using the amp and cab, turn off Cab Modeling (and Power Amp Modeling, if you're using a tube power amp). Etc.
Experiment with it though. When I ditched FRFR powered cab I obviously had amp and cab modeling on of course and when I transitioned to running a "real" tube amp and cab and I've found that my presets translated better to this new setup with amp/cab modeling on.

yea for sure .. I have the fractal manual here - so out of morbid curiosity , out of the power amp your supposed to run speaker cable
I dont see a section that says loud speaker on the Axe FX , it just says input : l/r balanced and unbalanced l /r

so I go speaker cable out the cab into the power amp, then out power amp instrument or XLR cable to the axe fx I am guessing

Guitar (Inst Cable) > Input on AXE > Output of AXE (Inst cable) > Input of Power Amp > Output of Power Amp (Speaker Cable) to Speaker Cab.

Ok I did the AB today at a local music store a pa power amp and 2 x 12 cab vs a powered speaker 1400w a side frfr the powered speaker was better in this case it was a yorkville ps12p I am waiting for a Yamaha dxr12 to arrive then I’ll do the AB between the two powered speakers

I am not convinced the poweramp was a good representation I am wondering if a head in 4 cable method would be the same as a power amp

Back
Top Bottom