Axe FX 2 XL usb to Reaper problem

mak

Inspired
Hi All,

Just received my XL and hooked it up to Reaper via USB. Just to note I am a novice at both Reaper and Axe FX!
I am recording 2 stereo tracks (1-2 dry) (3-4 plenty of gain!).

The sound in the pots is great and the dry track records and plays back perfectly. But when I play back the dirty track it has the occasional (and horrible) crackle sound. This seems to be when the waveform is large, e.g. A hard palm mute chug crackles like crazy!.... :(

Can anyone help? I have changed the audio device to my local soundcard and played that back - the crackle is still there and definately on the track!

Thanks
Andy

Andy

While I don't use Reaper myself, I would suspect you've already diagnosed the problem. Likely too much amplitude for the input of Reaper. Check to make sure you aren't triggering the red digital overload led on the front of the Axe, and then on the computer end, make sure the input setting for the both the computer and Reaper have enough headroom to handle the signal you are sending. I know this is generic, and likely a Reaper user will help further, but thought I'd at least try to help.

Welcome to the forum.

Lee

Thanks Lee!

Yes I suspected initially it was to do with levels / clipping - but then i thought, hang on, Reaper is supposed to be a good program, surely it would just clip and not make a horrendous noise on the recording?

I will go and test again now, it may be that the cheap Reaper option is not going to work for me and I'll have to shell out more cash.

Any clipping should be audible while you're tracking. If it's not crackling while recording then you have some other problem.

Does it always crackle in the same spot or does it move around randomly?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I will go and test again now, it may be that the cheap Reaper option is not going to work for me and I'll have to shell out more cash.

Don't be silly...you have all the tools you need...just take some time and learn how to use them...you don't need to spend any more cash.

It sounds like you are clipping the axefx. Lower the volume on the master bus in reaper and see if it goes away.

I spent a lot of money on DAW's in the past that didn't deliver and it made me really gun shy about dropping coin on anything for quite a long time. About a year ago I went DAW hunting and narrowed the selection down to about 5 major ones. I got demos for everything I could find and did a lot of reading on them at their respective forums. Reaper was not even a consideration at the time because surely it just couldn't be competitive with "real" DAW's that cost more.

But it's funny because at a lot of these other forums Reaper kept popping up in conversations and I decided to look into it. Best $60 ever invested. Hell, I've dumped more money than that in video tutorials on it the last year and the biggest thing that I've learned is that I absolutely made the right decision. It's kind of an interesting product and business model because they just put the full version out there and basically prove to you that the program is worth the price rather than having to jump through hoops and spend up front only to find out that there are bugs and that some of the features aren't there or working as advertised. Even better is that so much of its development has been driven by and alongside the user base that when you discover tools like the SWS extensions and learn how they work that you find out that just about everything you could have thought of us in there and even better is that tools exist to do things that you didn't even think to consider before.

Back
Top Bottom