Axe Fx 2 vs. FX8

ThelmoRego

Inspired
Hey guys,
Just wondering why some people say that the fx8 is more optimized for the 4cm then the axe fx? I understand that its set up automatically for unity gain but can't you just turn the axe fx volume all the way up and get the same? Also, I feel like with the axe fx in the rack right near my amp that Id get better tone because I'm not running three 20 ft cables between the amp and a floor unit, I can use 2 ft cables.
I also heard that the ins and outs are quieter which seems weird that a device at half the cost would have better D/A conversion and quieter outputs.
Any thoughts or experience doing the 4cm with both of these devices?
Thanks,

It is technically better, but the Axe II DAC's are still among the best in the business

I think plenty of people happily use the Axe II for 4cm effects only, but its also a far, far more expensive option, assuming your buying both new.

If I had an amp/cab setup I already loved, and all I wanted the Fractal for was effects, I can't see spending the type of money a FX II+ goes for when I could get a FX8 for much, much less, and it would do everything I need, nothing I don't.

Plus don't forgot the point of the floor unit is so you can access all those effects.

Sure you save some cable runs with a racked Axe II, but then you also need a foot controller for it, so add like $700 more dollars, and suddenly your spending about 3x as much as the FX8 costs, and for what ? So you can use shorter cables ?

I agree with the above, in the sense that the FX8 is possibly the most "economical" way to go, given the AxeFX II needs a foot controller and the FX8 IS that already.
That is if you have the amp/cab set-up that rocks your world...if not, the AX8 may be the way to go.

All good, or rather BOTH are good choices.
Enjoy!!

I already own an axe fx and MFC and the JP2C is on its way so the $ isn't the issue, my question was more related to if the fx8 actually sounded better for fx only then the axe fx?

In addition to the signal path, there are other considerations. The XL+ does not offer True Bypass, nor does it offer additional relay outputs for amp channel switching. So, we are back to the statement that the FX8 has additional circuitry optimized for 4CM. The True Bypass can be applied to the Pre stage, Post stage, or Both. Giving more flexibility when using 4CM.

I already own an axe fx and MFC and the JP2C is on its way so the $ isn't the issue, my question was more related to if the fx8 actually sounded better for fx only then the axe fx?

OK, go it.
My experience with the FX8 has been GREAT!!
My FX8 is dead quiet, using 4CM with my Friedman JJ-100. Was playing with it today and it's AMAZING!!!
That said, I haven't tried my AxeFX II with it, yet.

I like the idea of one unit rather than two. The TWO reasons I can think of for using the AxeFX II instead, is ONE, you have one already, and TWO, if you need more processing power. FX8 can get up to high CPU numbers with all 8 effects in play.
If you have the AxeFX and MFC already...you can certainly try them with the JP2C. No reason why that wouldn't work...I used my Ultra and midi foot controller with my Mark V in 4CM for quite a while, worked well.

I no longer have the Mark V, went with Friedman, yet the idea and option is solid.
Fractal units have a decent noise floor, yet maybe someone can chime in with the exact specs.

Best of luck...

OK, go it.
My experience with the FX8 has been GREAT!!
My FX8 is dead quiet, using 4CM with my Friedman JJ-100. Was playing with it today and it's AMAZING!!!
That said, I haven't tried my AxeFX II with it, yet.

I like the idea of one unit rather than two. The TWO reasons I can think of for using the AxeFX II instead, is ONE, you have one already, and TWO, if you need more processing power. FX8 can get up to high CPU numbers with all 8 effects in play.
If you have the AxeFX and MFC already...you can certainly try them with the JP2C. No reason why that wouldn't work...I used my Ultra and midi foot controller with my Mark V in 4CM for quite a while, worked well.

I no longer have the Mark V, went with Friedman, yet the idea and option is solid.
Fractal units have a decent noise floor, yet maybe someone can chime in with the exact specs.

Best of luck...
Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'm just gonna try it with the axe fx and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom