Axe-Fx 2: Stevie Ray Vaughan Guitar Tone Video Tutorial

Tyler,
Thank you very much for the video. It's fantastic. As is your playing. As is your tone. I'm a big SRV fan in general and though I remember having read some of the stuff about his mods and whatnot, I probably wouldn't have known what parameters to change to get there. That's assuming I remembered to even delve into them. Just great, great stuff.

This video is my official first strike against the ever so anticipated AX8.....requires 2 amps.

Fantastic Job Tyler!

Absolutely awesome !
Any presets you make will find it's way into my Axe ... and when I get the AX8 you need to tweak whatever setting you need to get it as close to this one as you can.
Keep up the good work !

This is such a great peek into tone building - love it! Great job on the tutorial - you cover a ton of info in a short period of time, and the playing and sound examples right along with the knob changes are fantastic. Perfect!

...I've had some trouble getting the wahs to react right with the SRV presets... but the last time I used a wah was in FW 17 or so. It might be time to revisit the concept...

Thanks for making that video, it was quite inspirational and fun. Wonderful job!!
In keeping with the SRV vibe, what would you use for a Wah on that preset? SRV's wah sound was exceptional (yes much had to do with his technique). I know he also on occasion taped two together and played them as one big super wah (I know no idea on what recordings or how much he actually did that). Have you played with Axe-Fx wahs much? Do you have an SRV favorite with settings? Although I love SRV, I almost never play in that style (or with a strat), so it's fun terf to explore on occasion.

Thanks much

LOL @ "girly strings:

FWIW, my Strats pickups measure about 5.6k on all three.

Just wanted to echo everyone else's praise. This has been an extremely helpful video for me on tone pilgrimage. Thanks Tyler. I'm curious what strings you use and what brand of pickups you have.

Hi Tyler!! Man ... you think too much!!!
Run your videocamera (or cellphone or wathever it is), take your best SRV + Hendrix + Bonamassa tones... and explain what to tweack and why... plain and clearly... like in your SRV video tutorial!
And you are done! The BEST Axe Tutorial (and patches) one the web!!! Period!

Thank you! I'm always pleased when I know I'm helping!
GHS Nicklerockers and stock pickups from factory in 1973...

Just wanted to echo everyone else's praise. This has been an extremely helpful video for me on tone pilgrimage. Thanks Tyler. I'm curious what strings you use and what brand of pickups you have.

Nice job on the video Tyler- very well presented and I enjoyed seeing you go through how you set things up.
BTW, for anyone who reads this, that JBL IR is good for quite a few things besides the SRV tone. Works really well for me w/ a tele for some stuff.

Nice job on the video Tyler

Wonderful tutorial ! :encouragement:

And too much to ask for a video tutorial of "TIME"-Gilmour :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen

Last edited:
HA, well... extremely specific tones are much harder to do tutorials on. THose take me much longer to do because I try to narrow down MUCH more nuanced tone aspects which don't lend to good tutorial content. but I'm not against it totally. let me think on that one a bit:)

Nice job on the video Tyler

Wonderful tutorial ! :encouragement:

And too much to ask for a video tutorial of "TIME"-Gilmour :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen

Yes, great job!
As a new fractal owner I dug the presentation...made sense....and most importantly great playing as well!

Yea man really killer sounds not quite sure how you are swapping reverbs and or drive blocks as you have 2 each but
this is a great help..

Im using a humbucker in bridge and it sounds great still..
Have to break out the sss strat and hear it with some single coils.

I never hardly play it cause I thought the bridge was thin compared too humbucker
but this really sounds great.

Thanks for the time and effort in making the tutorials.

Thats cool...you should make a clip of your Humbucker guitar and post it here:)

Yea man really killer sounds not quite sure how you are swapping reverbs and or drive blocks as you have 2 each but
this is a great help..

Im using a humbucker in bridge and it sounds great still..
Have to break out the sss strat and hear it with some single coils.

I never hardly play it cause I thought the bridge was thin compared too humbucker
but this really sounds great.

Thanks for the time and effort in making the tutorials.

Very, very impressive tutorial AND patch. I loaded the patch and IR Sunday morning, then played a gig with it Sunday afternoon. You gave me a great excuse to start with my strat (which I usually don't pull out unless my Carvin SH575 pops a string). We played under a raised restaurant (on the Tchefuncte River), and a local player I know left his table and came downstairs at the end of "Texas Flood" to see what the hell kind of pedals I was playing through! He's a guy who's really respected around here for his tone, partly because he's still borrowing my Klon clone and my Wampler Compressor which I never use anymore.

The only frustrating part was that the CPU load is pretty high--I usually use six scenes per patch (three levels of gain, a dry sound with some kind of modulation, a wetter, more ethereal sound and a dedicated scene for lead), and there wasn't really enough CPU left on my plain ol' Axe FX II to add anything more than a Gate/Expander block (for when both drives were on) and a Univibe. With those, I ended up with 93%. Any more than that, and I get that nasty digital crackling.

Anyway, great work--i went to your website and sent you $20.

Back
Top Bottom