Axe-fx 2 Presence Demo - and Question...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I went by the jam room this afternoon and wanted to record a video that shows how the presence settings sounds via my Axe-fx 2, Carvin F1200 into two Marshall Cabs with V30/G12T-75 in X-Pattern... I had it running at a low volume and was surprised at how close it really sounded to what I was hearing in the room...

During the mini-amp fests I've had the privilege of being able to demo some very nice tube amps... one thing that I have noticed about real tube amps is how beautiful the presence sounds when turned up... it you add too much gain it sounds a bit shrilly but still sounds "good". When I had the Carvin TS100 (which my other guitarist has now) it too had that "great" sounding presence... When I've turned up the presence on my Ultra it never sound anywhere close to what I heard/felt on any tube amp... it always sounded like it was just being kicked up in the 4k-12k on the EQ... and it didn't have that thick "tubey" presence.

Now I have the Axe-fx II and I was hoping to have that presence in the amp models... but I am only able to get a similar presence behavior to what I was getting with the Ultra... an EQ boost in the 4k-12k area...

Here is a video that shows the Recto model that is a bit dark and mushy (another discussion) distortion that sounds better at loud volumes but still doesn't have that "tubey" presence... just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and advise on this subject... Thanks again...

Last edited:
Man, when i had my dual recto if i ran the treble all the way up and the presence all the way up it would sound like total and utter fizzy, harsh shit.
I used to run the treble just under half and the presence even less.

Yeah, I don't own an Axe but FWIW I did own a dual rec at one point and if I turned the presence full up like that it would have torn my ears off. Doesn't sound like what I'd expect.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom