Axe-Fx 2 no sound from random presets

hi, I’m new to the axe fx 2, I was wondering why some presets work great, and some don’t have any sound? How do I fix this?

Thanks
Did you buy it used?

Are these factory presets?

Most likely those presets have been tweaked in some way that is affecting the output signal.

Could be there is a Volume block tied to an expression pedal which you are not using?

If you bought it used, I would strongly suggest performing a system reset and reloading all the factory presets.

If you've got axe-edit up and working then it will be easier to determine and remedy the cause (and as unix-guy says it's likely to be a volume block tied to a now non-existent expression pedal/controller)

Thank you so much for the quick reply’s. Yes it is used but in new condition. I will give it what u suggest a try?

Anything else I should know about blocking? Or I hear the words global blocking used a few times about this topic? Is there a way to just erase that?

Global blocks are something else.

Perform a system reset. Download and install the factory presets.

Read the whole manual at least once. You can thank me later ;)

Just to avoid any confusion ..... 'Blocks' is just the term used for each element placed in the layout grid ... compressor 'block', drive 'block', amp 'block' .... etc. You then can assign the 'type' of effect or amp used in each block from the menu within the block.

The term 'Global blocks' usually apples to some blocks that have been globally linked - EG a reverb block used across all your live presets - so if you arrive at a venue and find all your reverbs sound too much you can alter the mix or volume in one reverb block and it will do the same reduction to all the other globally linked reverb blocks that are used in your other presets.

I know it's a boring way to start with a new piece of equipment, but given you have bought a used unit I'd advise that you first learn how to backup everything as it is at the moment and then after hat is done you can completely reset the unit and load in the factory presets (download them from the FAS website)

edit - LOL ... unix-guy pre-empts me again!

Just to avoid any confusion ..... 'Blocks' is just the term used for each element placed in the layout grid ... compressor 'block', drive 'block', amp 'block' .... etc. You then can assign the 'type' of effect or amp used in each block from the menu within the block.

The term 'Global blocks' usually apples to some blocks that have been globally linked - EG a reverb block used across all your live presets - so if you arrive at a venue and find all your reverbs sound too much you can alter the mix or volume in one reverb block and it will do the same reduction to all the other globally linked reverb blocks that are used in your other presets.

I know it's a boring way to start with a new piece of equipment, but given you have bought a used unit I'd advise that you first learn how to backup everything as it is at the moment and then after hat is done you can completely reset the unit and load in the factory presets (download them from the FAS website)

edit - LOL ... unix-guy pre-empts me again!
Good advice bears repeating ;)

I’m fairly new but the problem for me was that presets downloaded into my unit were using “amps” that weren’t. So I had to go in and select amps that were in the unit then I got sound.

I bought it used as well and I’m not sure why the previous owner had it set that way.

I’m fairly new but the problem for me was that presets downloaded into my unit were using “amps” that weren’t. So I had to go in and select amps that were in the unit then I got sound.

I bought it used as well and I’m not sure why the previous owner had it set that way.
This means your firmware is old and doesn’t contain updates which may include new amp types.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the previous owner... You just need to update the firmware (assuming what Chris said is the correct answer).

Optionally, maybe you are talking about IRs (Cabs) and not Amps?

Cabs lol, yeah that’s what I meant sorry. As I said I am still pretty new to it.

Once I went in and just selected cabs that were in the unit all worked fine. I already purchased installed the ML USA Djent pack. No issues at all for me now.

Cabs lol, yeah that’s what I meant sorry. As I said I am still pretty new to it.

Once I went in and just selected cabs that were in the unit all worked fine. I already purchased installed the ML USA Djent pack. No issues at all for me now.
Makes a lot more sense now!

The thing is, any preset that uses a User IR would need the EXPECTED user IR, not just ANY user IR to sound as it was created.

While it will work, it won't be the same.

In other words (as an example): if you download a preset that is set to use User IR slot #1 and you have the Djent pack loaded starting in slot 1, while the person that created it has a cab based on Celestion Alnico Blue speakers in user slot #1, you are most definitely not going to get the same results.

I've experienced this only when dowloading a user .syx file and figured out it was because they had a cab pack added to theirs that i didn't. Just loaded up an IR that sounded good to me. Simple solution for that.

Back
Top Bottom