Axe fx 2 as audio interface for Neural DSP

Gitarmats

Hi! I won a Neural DSP plugin a while ago and thought I'd give it a try, but in my setup I just have the Axe Fx 2 set as my audio device through USB (and output going directly into my monitors with XLRs) I've always used the Axe like this just because I didn't want to deal with another audio device and possible latency.

Can I use the plugin with this setup? Maybe using a preset that just sends the dry signal through, or maybe I don't even need that? Has anyone used the Axe 2 like this?

Lots of different ways, but, yes I use Ax2 (and 3) into plugins (including NDSP) - works great with "pre" fx supplied by Axfx and "post" fx from the plugin. I've done 4CM to a plugin ampsim as well using Ax3 but I find latency too hi for me in that config.

When I say "plugin" I'm usually using the stand alone app version of the plugin, but sometimes inside Logic also. Same routings for both tho.

Last edited:
Hi! I won a Neural DSP plugin a while ago and thought I'd give it a try, but in my setup I just have the Axe Fx 2 set as my audio device through USB (and output going directly into my monitors with XLRs) I've always used the Axe like this just because I didn't want to deal with another audio device and possible latency.

Can I use the plugin with this setup? Maybe using a preset that just sends the dry signal through, or maybe I don't even need that? Has anyone used the Axe 2 like this?
Yes, this works with Axe-Fx II if you set it up correctly.

Plug your guitar into your Axe-Fx II's INPUT 1, and assuming you only want to hear the Neural DSP amp, you need to kill the main audio path that would otherwise result in direct monitoring of the Axe-Fx II at it's main output stage. You can make a patch with no shunts or just insert a break in the path to easily effect that but there are several other approaches you could also take with adjusting volume at certain points in the chain.

Feed the plugin (in a DAW) /or/ the standalone app Axe-Fx II INPUT 3 and send the output to Axe-Fx II OUTPUT 1/2. The only thing is, in my experience, you need to bump up the input level of the plugin/app because the Axe's D.I. inputs (3/4) only offer a fairly low-level signal. You may even need to max out the input in the plugin/app. I've had the input trim in Archetype Nolly at +24 (maximum) and it sounds right about there o_O but my guitar has low output pickups.

This is easy on the Axe-FX II, even easier than on the Axe-FX III. Simply press the "Bypass" button on the front panel.
That will send unprocessed Input 1 signal to Output 1. To avoid that the signal has to be muted/broken in the grid somehow like vaultnaemsae described. Or (probably more work than deleting a block) set Out 1 Volume to 0 via CC/pedal.

Here's what I do when using standalone "plugins"/Axe as the interface... two blocks and mute output 1 in the setup.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.38.32 PM.png

That will send unprocessed Input 1 signal to Output 1. To avoid that the signal has to be muted/broken in the grid somehow like vaultnaemsae described. Or (probably more work than deleting a block) set Out 1 Volume to 0 via CC/pedal.

You're right. Using the bypass button is an alternative to changing the usb input channels in your daw from 1/2 to 3/4, but you still have to mute the Axe-FX output.

You're right. Using the bypass button is an alternative to changing the usb input channels in your daw from 1/2 to 3/4, but you still have to mute the Axe-FX output.
And there's no way to mute the DI passthrough when the unit is bypassed using that button.

To get the DI on USB channels 1/2, USB/Digi Out Source (I/O: Audio menu) can be set to "Input".

Unfortunately the Axe-FX II doesn't have that option. It was added to the Axe-FX III for this use case.

Ahhh... dammit. Note to self - read, don't glance.

Maybe this will apply... before the MUTE feature was added, I did this...bypass Out 1 to kill the direct (for me) and then use an Out 2 block and USB 3/4.
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 1.34.25 PM.png

And there's no way to mute the DI passthrough when the unit is bypassed using that button.

Just use configuration #2 in the recording guide. Press the bypass button and mute the Axe-FX output at the mixer. That's one of the benefits to using configuration #2.

Just use configuration #2 in the recording guide. Press the bypass button and mute the Axe-FX output at the mixer. That's one of the benefits to using configuration #2.
I was assuming OP has speakers connected to the Axe-FX and might not want to recable to add a mixer and configure separate input/output devices in the DAW. If that's the case, solutions are covered above.

Ahhh... dammit. Note to self - read, don't glance.

Maybe this will apply... before the MUTE feature was added, I did this...bypass Out 1 to kill the direct (for me) and then use an Out 2 block and USB 3/4.
That will work too. As is so often the case with the Axe-FX, there are a number of ways to solve the problem.

Do you guys input stereo? I have an axe III and I use 5 and mute out 1. I get some artifacting when I use 5/6. This only happens in the stand alone NDSP. I should probably test some more. I know my 5/6 DI signal is fine into Logic and the NDSP plug-ins don’t exhibit this behavior.

Back
Top Bottom