Axe FX-2 and speakers...HELP

johnniz

Hi.

I am going to order an axe fx 2 as a Christmas-gift for myself, I have been a good boy...

The trouble is, what should I run it with. I have blown most of the budget on the axe alone, but still got about 500 USD left to use on speakers of some kind.

It will be in my bedroom (65 square feet) 90% of the time, but I already have a 4x12 cab with g12t 75 and v30`s in the living room. What would you guys suggest I run it through??

I am strongly considering studio monitors, most likely Yamaha HS7`s or maybe a pair of KRK rokit 8`s?

another option would be to run some kind of power amp through my 4*12 cab in the living room, or maybe a FRFR wedge or other kind of PA?

would greatly appreciate any advice

-Cheers

How do you intend to use the AxeFX? Are you planning on playing live eventually, studio recording, etc? I think you'll get varied responses until you determine this. If you just plan on doing bedroom noodling you'll find studio monitors and/or decent headphones a good solution. If you ever plan on going live you can always get a power amp to run your cabinet.

What was previously set up with your cab?

Yes, I`m definitely thinking of gigging with it eventually, but I think mainly, it is going to be played in my bedroom, just jamming. As of recording, not so much. This is why I haven't settled on Yamaha`s or KRK`s, I know Chris from metalguitarist.org prefers the rockit`s for jamming, but changed his setup to HS80m`s. I have read alot about the HS7/8`s are in the same "family" as the NS10`s, and I don`t want them to sound "harsh" as a lot of people are saying. Big problem for me is that I can`t go out and test this in a shop, at least none that I know of around here (Norway) displays studio monitors. I have to guesstimate from forums and videos what might sound good.

From this video: Yamaha HS80M vs. KRK Rokit 8 - YouTube I think the chugging part at the end sounds the best with the rockits, but the lead parts I think the HS7`s sound the best.

I really don`t know what to go for...

I strongly suggest Presonus Eris E8 monitors. I just bought some and have been really impressed. They have amazing stereo separation and sound fairly flat in terms of frequency response to my ears. I use them in a fairly small room, typically at low volume.

Although I haven't compared them side by side in the same room, to my ears they seem "flatter" and more accurate than KRK Rockit 8s.

You're not going to get a "cab in the room" type of sound with any studio monitor but if you need something the Axe sounds great with and something that you can create patches on that will translate well to other systems for fairly low $$, it's hard to beat these.

I also see Equator D5s recommended a lot too as a good bang for the buck studio monitor. Have not tried them myself.

I use headphones a lot as well and have tried several different brands/models. The problem with headphones is that I've yet to find any that sound as "flat" as a decent studio monitor. You have to take this into consideration when crafting tones or you'll go insane tweaking. Playing with headphones is just a totally different vibe too. I greatly prefer using monitors but it's not always possible in my situation.

Thanks for the input. The Presonus Eris E8 monitors might be a little bit too expensive, with them being 655 USD a pair in Norway.

I am only able to the HS 7 or 8 from the HS series, as I believe this series was to replace the HS80m, Do you think the 7`s would do the trick?

Any other input?

I'm very happy with my Equator D5's. Best sound out of anything I've run through, and down right affordable. Plenty of other good options out there too.

Back
Top Bottom