Axe FX 2 and HEADPHONES

Jeez those Audeze are the beez neez...I could never spend 1k on headphones though (much as id love to)! Weird that the 7509HD's sound crappy but the 7506's are good...must be manufactured for different purposes.

Anyone else rockin some other brand we haven't heard of yet?

Beyer DT-770 Pro are plenty loud and are a good choice if you want more than a $100 headphone but don't want to go into the $300+ options.

^Same, 770 Pro. I use these for live monitoring and love them for that, you still get a real nice natural leakage and get some shimmer from the drums coming through, nice reminder you're standing on a stage with musicians.

I'm gonna get some 880's to use at home I think, I've heard it's worth the extra and the lesser isolation for home use, anybody compared the two?

I looked at the Beyers - but the 250 Ohm put me off. i did see the 80 Ohm option which I considred, along with the MT50s and KRK8400s - BUT ended up getting some AKG 271s used (UK Costs new £125 - 3 month old mint EBay pair - £65 delivered :) ). They sound perfectly fine to me - though I could do with some more volume at times (though my ears will thank me that its not available).

Good phones. If you want more volume, try find a way of EQ'ing and just boost some lower mids, it'll give the impression of more volume and will make your guitar stand out a bit more but won't punish your ears with horrendously dangerous frequencies.

Anyone else rockin some other brand we haven't heard of yet?

I had Akg240 studio till last month and was really fed of them :( (closed and uncomfortable, tinny, "They sound VERY weak" as you said...)
I asked for some help on french Axe forum, and the DT990 was clearly the winner. But I had a good deal for a Grado SR325i on ebay, and I'm fell crazy about them !
I have to say I spend much time listening again and again my discotheque than playing with axe now ... ;)
The price was almost the same than DT990, and surely you 'll find a better deal in USA.
Transducer type : dynamic, Operating principle : open air, Frequency Response : 18-24, SPL 1mW : 98db, Normal Impedance : 32ohms. Grado Site .

Last edited:
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's which I have been very happy with (64ohm). That said, I don't have much experience with other ones to compare with. Found them on sale for $80, so I think I am getting pretty good bang-for-the-buck.

I don't have my Axe yet, but I use Shure SRH840's with my PC. I assume they will work well with the Axe II. I have to say, I'm no headphone expert though. I did a bit a research, comparing them to the ATH-M50, and ended up getting the SRH840 (I never tried either myself before buying). They're both in a similar price range, but I learned through research that apparently the SRH840 is a little more balanced than the ATH-M50, partly because the M50 has more unnecessary bass.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's which I have been very happy with (64ohm). That said, I don't have much experience with other ones to compare with. Found them on sale for $80, so I think I am getting pretty good bang-for-the-buck.
I have a few of those as well and sometimes use them when tracking (since I don't have enough of the Beyerdynamic's to throw around).
The HD280's are not terrible and they do provide a good deal of isolation, but they color the tone quite a bit.
I didn't really realize how much until I got my dt770 and dt880's. Now, I don't trust the hd280's :) YMMV

Just knowing cliff uses the DT880's (or rather, thinking he does) is enough for me to want them. Only question now is if it's the old 2005 or the PRO edition...

Own the akg 240studios, the sennheiser HD280s and the akg 702s. I personally liked the 240s but they did have some weird thing going on in the lower end. The 280s I personally can't stand for their head crushing tightness, closed back, and hump in the 2kish area as it really digs into my ears unpleasantly. They're good for keeping bleed to minimum though. I love my akg 702s. Open backed, and I can definitely hear much more detail than my 240s. I dunno about using it with the axe 2 sadly as I don't have one. But I recommend these. If I can hear crows cawing in the beginning of Joe Satriani's Wind in the Trees in great detail, they're Damn good. :)

I have a pair of HD280s that I got for tracking guitars with my last band. They were great for that, mainly because of the tremendous isolation. I don't care for them with the AxeFx because they don't sound very balanced.

Last weekend I picked up a pair of AKG 240s. They'll soon be going back to GC as I find them to be lacking low end. I'm not looking for something with "enhanced" bass response but they don't translate at all to my nearfields (Mackie MR5s) or FRFR PA (K8s).

My AT ATH-M2's translate better than either the Sennheisers or the AKGs. I'm not quite ready to bite on the price point of the 880s so I'm hoping that the ATH-M50s fill the bill.

I'm afraid of any wireless headphone...doesnt that mean they ahve another ad/da conversion? I do NOT want to introduce another if I can help it...

AKG K-702. I find these to be true. What is plug into them is what you get out of them. Flat/neutral/reference. You won't get augmented bass, but you will get what you give them. The bass is tight and correctly deep, just not enhanced. I am very happy with these and they play very nicely with AXE-FX II. Great pricing at Amazon right now. Bout $250.00

And the AKG 702's have enough stage volume if necessary direct from the AXE II headphone out...? (please please pretty please lol)

What exactly do you mean by "stage volume"? The 702's are adequate in a studio setting, but might like a amplifiers if you want to hear them "on-stage" as in with music playing. They are an open, non-isolation environment and seepage works bi directionally. They are also not ultra low OHMS, so a live band/stage setting is not what they are designed for.

Back
Top Bottom