Axe Fx 2/3 Midi Help

Hey there, my apologies for clogging up the board with newbie kinds of issues.

I'm trying to use the midi OUT of my axe fx 3 to control preset/scenes/tuner on my axe fx 2. My rhythm guitar player just needs really simple patches clean/dirty/etc. I have my Axe fx 3 connected to the axe fx 2 with a 5 pin midi cable from the MIDI OUT of the axe fx 3, to the MIDI IN of the axe fx 2. My axe fx 2 is set to midi channel 1 and my axe fx 3 is set to midi channel 1.

My understanding is that the scene midi block can load a preset using PC messages then i can use other scene CC messages to change scenes etc along with the scenes that I'm using on my FC12 that is connected to my axe fx 3.

HOWEVER, currently I'm not able to get the midi block to actually make any changes in the axe fx 2. For example, setting the scene 1 PC command to channel 1, value 1 does not load any presets in the axe fx 2 either when i 'test' the midi command.

Is there something I'm doing wrong to have the axe fx 3 send midi PC/CC to the axe fx 2? Is there a setting on either the axe fx 3 or axe fx 2 that I need to be enabling to allow external control?

Admittedly I'm relatively new to midi, so it could completely be user error, and again my apologies.

Last edited:
When you click "Test" beside the midi command in the Ax3 Midi block, do you see the "Midi In" light blip on the Ax2 front panel?

After working with it I think i had an external controller that was always sending midi as the 'Midi In' light was constantly lit up. I think that resolved the main issue for me and I'm able to load presets and scenes! Thank you so much.

NEXT QUESTION:

I have an external pedal connected to my FC-12 which is then connected to the Axe FX 3. I want to be able to use this external pedal to turn the axe fx 2 tuner on and off. Reading through manuals and videos online it looks like i can create a control switch to send a midi message to another device? Per the manual the tuner function is MIDI CC 15 -- is there a specific value that should be used to toggle on/off? If so I'm not seeing anything obvious in the documentation.

Last edited:
Typically, values 127 through 64 = ON and values 63 through zero = OFF. I usually just use 127 for ON and zero for OFF.

Typically, values 127 through 64 = ON and values 63 through zero = OFF. I usually just use 127 for ON and zero for OFF.
perfect - i think i got it working. thank you for the clarification. i created a control switch using fx edit, midi cc 15 on value to 127, off value of 0. set to latching switch vs momentary and it seems to work without a hitch. i created it in a different FC12 layout and then created a stand-in switch in my custom layout, assigning it to the external pedal so it wouldn’t impact my own custom FC12 layout. pretty awesome.

thank you both so much! you’ve made this entirely painless thus far. if i have any other questions i’ll bump the thread.

Back
Top Bottom