Wish Axe FW Dual Boot option (e.g. load FW 16 or 15 w/o reinstalling)

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
Motivation: I love two different firmwares! In Fractal dream world I would be able to boot into either one without reinstalling either.

Wish: If there is (more than) enough nonvolatile FW memory space, allow two FW's to reside on the unit and allow them to be selectable, similar to Mac boot camp, ideally:
  • Auto boot into FW A or B (via settings config option)
  • During turn on, allow user to press particular button(s) to be able to boot into FW A or B
  • Show FW version in top row on home screen, e.g. "AXE-FX III 16 Beta" (currently user must go into Setup to see version)

Known consequences: Presets saved under a later FW might be incompatible/unreadable in an earlier FW (usually shown as <EMPTY>).

User workarounds: User keeps separate banks and/or tags presets appropriately (this is what I am doing currently). Or reloads presets/banks as desired.

Possible related system improvements:
Home screen displays the FW version the preset is saved under. See wish: WISH: Show preset Meta-data on HOME screen
If preset is newer, ideally still show preset name (not <EMPTY>), perhaps greyed out with some indication of incompatibility.​

This was attempted on the Axe2 a while ago due to customer request for a similar situation. I believe it confused more people than it helped. It was eventually removed to make room for the latest updates at the time. I think it’s better to just dedicate to one thing.

Back
Top Bottom