Axe Edit not connecting to Axe Ultra

Hello all!

New member here - I'll cut to the chase as I'm itching to get my machine working properly! I just picked up my first Axe last week, an Ultra. Here's where I'm at so far:

1. I am running MBP Retina OS X Yosemite.

2. I've purchased and received a MIDI/USB cable, here's the link to the device (Mac Compatible):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...idi_to_usb_for_mac-_-0H0-0007-00056-_-Product

3. I've installed Axe Edit Beta for Mac OS X, I've read and learned that Ultra is no longer supported by Fractal.

4. I've connected MIDI in to MIDI out, for both cables. The yellow and green in/out lights on the MIDI USB illuminate when everything is plugged in --> MIDI IN >MIDI OUT (Axe) MIDI IN >MIDI OUT (Axe)

5. I've insured that Axe Edits preferences are set for the USB port on my MBP. The Axe doesn't show up as an option when selecting inputs and outputs?

Please help! I'd like to hurdle this barrier so I can be well on my way to happy programming!!

Last edited:
I gave up on the edit with my ultra some time ago because it is not very stable and front panel editing isn't really that bad once you get things going(for the axe II this is greatly improved), but seems like to me I had to choose the midi cable for the input and output in the axe edit midi settings in order to get the ultra to connect.

My edit seems to not be recognizing that the midi usb is even connected at all, yet the in/out lights on the midi/usb illuminate?! I don't want to give up on edit, I've never used it yet so I don't want to cross that resource off of my list until I'm sure it's not for me :p

will the test in the edit midi settings run? are the ultra and the edit on the same midi channel? Is it set for ultra and not axe fx II in the edit settings? Try swapping the midi in's and out's, some cheap interfaces have to be connected in to in out to out. what axe edit # are you trying to use? 1.0.191 is the one I used, I think it was the last one that supported the ultra

The test seems to run but it isn't successful and a connection cannot be made. It is for sure set for Ultra for the Edit type in settings.. The number I am using is also 1.0.191 I have confirmed that. I've also tried connecting it the in>in out>out.

How do I check that the edit and ultra are on the same midi channel? My Edit isn't recognizing the usb/midi cable I don't believe because when I go to preferences in edit, and choose my input/output options, the only thing that pops up is "no input," and "USB Port 1 & 2" if I recall correctly. I don't currently have the software open I've been reading. . .

Its been a while since I used the Ultra and I don't use Mac, but I do remember very specifically that there were issues with a lot of MIDI adapters not working because they would truncate the sysex data and basically corrupt it. Didn't matter if it was expensive or cheap most of the time either; most just don't have big enough buffers in them or something.

The best MIDI adapter for the money and reliability was the MIDISport stuff from m-Audio. You can score the 2x2 for about $25 used on e-Bay most of the time. They're frickin' rock solid and reliable.

So you think it could legitimately be the midi/usb device? I'd hate to shell out 25$ and have it be something not related to that issue, I'll of course take into consideration your advice.

USB ports would be the ones to choose. Select them as input & output ports. It's possible the interface is the problem but there are some other things you could check/try.

Which firmware version is on the Ultra? (Displayed at startup or rightmost page in utility menu) Firmware before 10.02 requires adjusting sysex ID in Axe-Edit.

Did you double-check that cables are connected to the Ultra's MIDI In & Out ports, not In & Thru?

MIDI channel is set at I/O: MIDI on the Axe-FX and in Axe-Edit's MIDI settings menu. Channel mismatch wouldn't cause what you're describing but you can verify settings match anyway.

There should be MIDI buffer & delay settings in Axe-Edit too. I've only read about these helping with firmware updates, but you could try adjusting these e.g. lower size, higher delay time.

Last edited:
current edit audio midi settings: Axe-Fx MIDI I/O MIDI Input: USB 2.0 - MIDI Port 1, MIDI Output: USB2.0 - Midi Port 1 , MIDI Channel: 1, Sysex ID : 00 01 74 Decimal ID: 372Midi Buffer Size: 256 Midi Buffer Delay 90ms

were are you located? maybe some one near you has a working edit to help you out before you buy another interface, if you are in central fl I would gladly let you try mine.

I'm in Central PA outside of Penn State Univ. unfortunately. If you guys are saying that the last interface I linked worked, then I'll move along with the purchase but I've checked in the I/O front panel, Axe systex is set to 00 01 74 just as it is in Pref's on Edit. I'm just not sure what the issue is? Still.

Some interfaces can't pass longer (compared to note on/off, PC, etc.) sysex messages like those used by AE.

Could you confirm that you're using the Axe-FX MIDI Out port, not Thru port?

Does the Axe-FX MIDI IN LED light when Axe-Edit is trying to connect? If not, see what happens with in & out cables swapped. Sometimes interfaces like that are labeled oppositely of what you'd expect.

If you temporarily connect to the Axe THRU instead of OUT port, does the Axe-Edit MIDI loopback test succeed or fail? If it fails, again try swapping cables are at IN and THRU. (Using IN & OUT will always fail the loopback test since OUT won't echo the test message.)

I seem to have the same issue and it's driving me nuts.

I DEFINITELY have everything connected correctly.
Firmware 11, Axe-Edit version .191.. always get the status "not connected"
The MIDI in LED on the AFX lights up, but no signal seems to be leaving the AFX.

If I connect the output of my MIDI interface directly to its input it passes the loop test, so that's not the issue.
If I connect the THRU port of the AFX to the MIDI interface the loop test fails, so it looks like either MIDI isn't coming in or it's not mirrord.

The settings (channel, Sysex ID etc) are definitely correct (both set to ch.1, but I tried omni as well, Sysex 00 01 74).

it's getting really frustrating.
:/

Lasse,

I am running an Ultra, firmware 11 and the Axe Edit Beta 1.0.191, and my interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and I just checked the loop test with the THRU port and it pinged and passed. One thing and i have ZERO idea if it makes any matter whatsoever, is my midi cables are 5 pin active (not 5 pin - but only 3 pins are active) ... I just got my AxeFx last week and literally it sync'd right up with my 27" iMac within seconds (literally) with zero issues ...

If you want to double check some settings that mine is set to, just let me know .. ill see if i can do some screen shot action ....

Kevin

Lasse,

I am running an Ultra, firmware 11 and the Axe Edit Beta 1.0.191, and my interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and I just checked the loop test with the THRU port and it pinged and passed. One thing and i have ZERO idea if it makes any matter whatsoever, is my midi cables are 5 pin active (not 5 pin - but only 3 pins are active) ... I just got my AxeFx last week and literally it sync'd right up with my 27" iMac within seconds (literally) with zero issues ...

If you want to double check some settings that mine is set to, just let me know .. ill see if i can do some screen shot action ....

Kevin

Thanks for your reply.
I seem to have fixed it now, I had to install my old MBox2 for Axe Edit to connect to my AFX...the other two MIDI interfaces I tried seem to not be working with A-Edit

I had loads of issues with connecting my ultra via midi to my pc and using axe edit. In the end I forked out a bit of money and bought a M-audio midisport 2x2 anniversary edition and my problems where gone pure heaven!

Back
Top Bottom