Axe-Edit Linux version

Linux for music production - Bwaaahaaahaaahaaaa. Next you'll be telling me it's great for gaming too. I use Linux everyday - on my servers.

So yes it has universal usb midi driver drivers just like Linux "supposedly has" universal support for graphics cards. I have a media server running opensuse that the fam uses in the living room. I had to do some serious hacking to get the original amd graphics card in there to work. In the end it kinda worked with our smart tv - but I still ended up punting for an nvidia card. Then I still had to hack to get that working right.

It works now. I also run Nextcloud on it for family-only private social media/collaboration and use it to collaborate with bandmates too. But
If I had to do it over again I would throw a windows machine at the media server and dedicate a separate server machine for Nextcloud, home automation, security cams, etc..

Linux is great for many things - music, media and gaming - not so much.
Linux doesn’t claim to have ‘universal’ support for graphics cards and there isn’t a standard graphics card API. You still don’t have to ‘hack’ anything to make graphics cards work though, just buy something compatible with Linux and install the commercial drivers (which you also do on windows)

Conversely USB audio and midi are an actual standard and the Linux support is totally functional. Midi routing hardware is largely running Linux as are a growing number of synthesizers and effects pedals for reasons mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

I’m not trying to convince you to switch but I personally run bitwig on Linux without any issues and I would like to edit my FM9 from Linux instead of switching to my macbook

I would like to edit my FM9 from Linux instead of switching to my macbook
Understand and I wish you luck.

But what you said about not having to hack graphics on Linux with "commercial" drivers is just plain nonsense. There are literally 10's of thousands of threads all over the web about people having trouble. Like I said I did finally get it to work on a 65 inch 4K smart tv but it was not without some pain (hand editing X config, etc.). And I'm a software engineer! The machine was a dual boot back then - booted up Windows with that AMD graphics card and the smart tv worked just fine.

I don't have the patience to hack Linux desktop anymore I guess. We still use it on the mediaserver for now running both KDE and XFCE, but eventually I will dedicate a windows box and use Linux exclusively for servers.

By using a Windows VM means you needed Windows OS.
I am not here to bash Linux I am providing my educated opinion on the matter.
Use a support OS for a better experience.
You're obviously only reading the part of my posts that suits you. I will try and make this very clear one more time:

I (begrudgingly) use the VM running a supported OS for FM3-Edit, because the FM3 uses a non-class-compliant USB driver for the editor communication. I have never needed any VM for the various Axe-Edit generations, but deliberately use an unsupported OS in that case, precisely for a better experience.

If you still want to fool yourself into thinking that I have proven whatever point you're trying to make, so be it..

No one "pulled you in" either. It's a forum! You are only half reading the thread it seems.

Linux Desktop users bash (shell pun not intended) everything else as often as not, as they did in this thread. I didn't start that, I just reflected it as funny and predictable, and even the guy who said we aren't much doing that.. went on to do exactly that in his response to me. Did you fail to note that? It was funny. You didn't chide him tho... Noted unix guy... No possible bias there? : )

I run Linux server flavors myself and have for decades. I was a Unix and then Linux admin, among other things, in the 90s and 00s professionally. I watched SUN mismanage itself out of relevance and then out of business with great sadness. SUN failing to get on the x86 bandwagon at the crucial pivot point is why Linux is the monster it is IMHO.

So this bashing of every other OS is dumb is indeed the 90s "Unix Pony Tail" outlook I grew up with in its new Linux edition. Does that joke ring a bell for you? I chuckle about it, then and now. The pony tails were wise and helpful, but also looking down their nose at the pesky x86 operating systems as glorified toys. I'm certainly not mad at anyone. I didn't have the hair for a pony tail.

Beyond that, all I'm telling people is to stop expecting support. It's not happening in general, unless you are a gamer, where some cool things are happening b/c it makes a ton of sense too. Pro Audio people and touring musicians want solutions, not an opportunity to do integration work between different tools. The lovable mess that is the "Linux ecosystem" all but de facto prevents app support at scale, but OSS licensing makes linux appliances logical, like a Steam Deck.

Be well.
So you're applying a broad generalization of Linux users to the OP and those offering help (none of which I've seen bashing anything) to this thread?

No, I didn't respond to any such bashing because I didn't see any.

Trying to call me biased because of my username? That's some pure bullshit, right there.

I actually happen to use Windows at home. I have no bias and you'll notice you didn't see me promoting the use of Linux here, either. I personally don't think Linux is a good desktop system for the average computer user because there are too many fiddly bits... Although, last time I explored that was the early days of Ubuntu.

What OS a person chooses is up to them, however, and I'm not going to tell them not to use Linux if that's what they want to do.

You imply several far-reaching (and, in their generality, ridiculous) assumptions here. If you really do not care and find it baffling, why not leave alone a thread where people were helping each other before the bickering started?
I've been using Linux since we had to compile mouse drivers in the '90s to make them work with three button mice from SUN workstations... that we liked for x86 stuff too. Any strong feelings you have should be saved for more important things this. I'm not in this to debate anyone, as there is no great point, it's a forum. Just an amused observer of an age old pattern. Be well.

Last edited:
So you're applying a broad generalization of Linux users to the OP and those offering help (none of which I've seen bashing anything) to this thread?

No, I didn't respond to any such bashing because I didn't see any.

Trying to call me biased because of my username? That's some pure bullshit, right there.

I actually happen to use Windows at home. I have no bias and you'll notice you didn't see me promoting the use of Linux here, either. I personally don't think Linux is a good desktop system for the average computer user because there are too many fiddly bits... Although, last time I explored that was the early days of Ubuntu.

What OS a person chooses is up to them, however, and I'm not going to tell them not to use Linux if that's what they want to do.
unix guy, there is a real mismatch between how angry you seem and any intent I had to get anyone riled up.
We aren't curing cancer or solving climate change, we are nerds making OS jokes and giving each other tips.
Perhaps you missed where I tried to help early in the thread.

Regardless I'm out and wish you well.

Use whatever OS you want Fractal friends; I use them all myself though I'll always appreciate the vision of Mac and the messy creativity of Linux the most.

Last edited:
Actually macOS' kernel is more unix than the linux kernel, so technically the name "unix-guy" would be more of a hint for a macOS guy.

Anyway, this thread has become very strange. Kind of sad, however, who cares.

I'm using Red Hat Linux for 3D (Blender)
and (Davinci Resolve) color grading
It's the only way to get full
simultaneous multithreading is also known as SMT or Hyper-Threading.
I think mac m1 don't support multi threading yet .

For music I don't see any benefits using linux but it can be nice to stay in one framework.

So, OP here, will try to get us back on track.

I got it to work!!!

OK, a bit of work, not "for the faint of heart", but it can work in Ubuntu on an old laptop. Word of explanation for my use case - in a 9 piece band and I double as the sound engineer. I use a digital mixer and a laptop linked. I use either my AX-8 or my AxeFX III for my own sound. The AX-8 is easier to "on the fly" adjust for room acoustics due to the dedicated gain, tone controls, etc. In my home studio I use Windows. Gigging I am more likely to use a chromebook or an old laptop that I converted to Linux (Ubuntu) a couple years ago. The SoundCraft mixer does not require special software, just a HTML5 compatible browser. So for my use case, it would be great to use Axe-Edit so I can make quick changes to adjust for the acoustics, and this will let me do so.

I plan to make another post when I get a few minutes to try to put together the steps Appreciate the helpful posts here, and there were a few from other sources and a few things I found out by doing.

You're right. There is so much to this device that I missed that. :rolleyes:
Spent a while yesterday afternoon setting up Performance Pages for my most commonly used presets...

I'll say it again. Run a VM, Wine, etc.
I'm no Linux hater, but it's just not getting over for audio the same way it did for high-res batch video work.
There's a good reason blender and others support linux, it has to do with scale, not so much open source ideals.

Back
Top Bottom