Axe-Edit Linux version

Why are we discussing this? It's a totally subjective thing!

It's just like when people here rant about the Kemper Profiler, the Quad Cortex etc. Guys, those are just other tools which have benefits over the Fractals, but also drawbacks. Let's be honest, this is the truth!

The same goes with operating systems for computers. I've been using Linux almost exclusively for that past 20 years and this was a conscious decision by me being a grown person. This does not mean that other decisions are wrong! They are just as right, only different.

I drive an Opel Meriva which I've bought off my parents. It's a nice little car, it's very well repairable, has a lot of space for e.g. my gear and I'll drive it to its death. I'm actually too young to drive such a car, but so what?! It's ok for me! Other cars are faster, more fun, but maybe harder to repair and I probably couldn't load my gear into them. But would I tell someone with such a car that it's crap? Of course not! It's good for other things and at the end of the day we both arrive at our destination.

@skategeezer You have a point with the problem of less supported software, of course! But it's a price at least I am willing to take. And I always have the freedom to change the OS as soon as I'm not willing to take this price anymore. But that's my decision.

I welcome everybody who has a problem and wants to find a way for it to be fixed. Stumbling over problems and then finding a way to fix them, isn't this very human? And also: it's fun!

Why?

Linux desktop fanboys feel the need to go on about their OS every so often. It's as predictable as the non-support for the OS. It shows up here and in many other forums in a very slow but predictable cycle.

The OS pride and the non-support actually have a relationship IME. There is the low key flex of "I made it work by doing command line stuff" often followed by how pedantic, terrible, or limited all other OS types are, exactly as we've seen here - and seen here before.

Linux dominates as a server OS for a lot of good reasons. It is the backbone of so much innovation... but 2023 will not be the "Year of the Linux Desktop Break thru" and neither will next year. Chromebooks are about as close as most may ever get, and the pandemic was a boon for them in school systems but that peak has passed too.

For the rest of us whose time is more valuable than the small money difference of free vs unfree OS types, or don't need the geek pride / zillion options to do whatever, it just looks like talking about Pokemon cards. Hugely important to a small, loyal tribe of people and cute but baffling to the rest.

Last edited:
The OS pride and the non-support actually have a relationship IME. There is this the low key flex of "I made it work by doing command line stuff" often followed by how pedantic, terrible, or limited all other OS types are, exactly as we've seen here - and seen here before.
There's not been much ranting about other OSes in this thread, it's basically just infos on how to get AxeEdit running and responses to people claiming you can't use it on Linux or will have a worse experience (which is technically correct due to the issues I mentioned earlier in this thread, but on the other hand these can be fixed or worked around and I'm in no way inconvenienced in my daily use of AxeEdit).
Also, I don't think lack of AxeEdit support has any relationship to posts by linux users - it's probably just Fractal deciding their Linux user base is not large enough to support with their limited development resources. Michael probably has enough on his plate trying to keep up with all the FW updates with only two supported OSes. Another issue would be that "Linux support" means different things to different people, e.g. usually companies only list specific distros and/or desktop+window managers as officially supported, which means only those environments are tested and your experience in other environments may vary.

For the rest of us whose time is more valuable than the small money difference of free vs unfree OS types, or don't need the geek pride / zillion options to do whatever, it just looks like talking about Pokemon cards. Hugely important to a small, loyal tribe of people and cute but baffling to the rest.
Personally, I don't care that much about free vs unfree, I'm simply using Linux as my personal daily driver since a few years because Windows lost the plot after 7, and as my work OS since forever as I'm developing enterprise software running on Linux. If you gave me a still-supported version of 7 I would happily run that, but 10 is just garbage in so many ways that it's no longer funny. For my personal use cases Linux works just fine (a few issues with specific steam games nonwithstanding), with the caveat that I still do audio recording on Windows mainly due to no Linux support for the DAWs and some VSTs I use.

Agree, there is no reason to support even common Linux distros. There just aren't enough of you net and harder yet, you don't all agree on a distro or package format even. I see the flatpack fight. So yeah you could compile it from source, but then there are other problems. Time is limited and far better spent on other things from a Fractal perspective. Windows VMs are a thing for Linux folks. It's just the better answer IME. If people like WINE then sure.

On the other hand you have to laugh. You start by telling me there isn't much OS trashing... and end by trashing an OS. It's part of being a Linux desktop user, it's OK. Can't be born a horse and die a zebra. :)

Last edited:
You start by telling me there isn't much OS trashing... and end by trashing an OS
I'm trashing a specific version of that OS though, not the whole OS family - 7 was good and as I said would still be happily running it. And most of the things I dislike about 10 are things on top of the OS which could be dropped without impacting any functionality (e.g. built-in advertisements, forced telemetry, trying to force edge and a MS account on you on every opportunity). I don't have any ideological issues with the actual "OS" part of 10, but due to the aforementioned issues my QoL is higher on Linux; if they were to resolve those problems I could see myself switching back.

Anyways, I don't see much use debating this further. Many people agree that the current Windows versions have lots of issues and Cliff posted a thread trashing 10 back when he updated to it as well so I assure you it's not a "Linux desktop user" thing. For some of those people Linux is a viable alternative. It might not be one for you, or you might disagree with the issues in the first place, but that's just another opinion then.

Linux desktop fanboys feel the need to go on about their OS every so often. It's as predictable as the non-support for the OS. It shows up here and in many other forums in a very slow but predictable cycle.
I'd call myself a Linux user rather than a fanboy. And I cannot speak for all other Linux users, only for myself. But I see a very simple explanation for those requests: We are a minority, of course we are and everybody knows it. So companies more often chose to not support Linux, which is okay, it's their private money and their choice alone. But what is wrong about asking for this, especially if it's in a polite manner? Maybe a clear answer would help, e.g. "No, not now and not in the future, sorry." would help?

But I agree, that Linux folks can be very religious about their OS. The percental amount of geeks is higher among Linux users than other OSes, I'm very sure. Still, in my experience almost everybody defends their system of choice. Because every system has its advantages and also its disadvantages.

If you need a hammer, you go to a hardware store and have plenty of choices. Every hammer of the same type is built a little different and if you make an educated choice you know exactly what features (size, weight, …) important to you. Based on that you chose and hopefully it's the perfect hammer for you. With OSes the amount of choice is much more limited. But still, if you make an educated choice you weigh all arguments (stability, security, privacy, portability, 3rd party support, adjustability, looks, costs, …), you'll get the perfect or at least the best choice. Done, that's it!
but 2023 will not be the "Year of the Linux Desktop Break thru" and neither will next year
I totally agree! And I don't care! This has nothing to do with my choice to use it. I use it because I like it. If my favourite hammer isn't available anymore, I'd still use it as long as possible, when I need a new one I chose another one.
Chromebooks are about as close as most may ever get, and the pandemic was a boon for them in school systems but that peak has passed too.
I'm a teacher and in school we use iPads and I have a Macbook Air with an M1 chip. Amazing machine and the iPads are great for schools. I cannot imagine Chromebooks being better for school tasks to be honest.

It's just technology and we can chose. If Cliff hadn't chosen to build a great reverb machine which eventually lead to the AxeFX, we'd all use something else and we'd be happy with it aswell. Let's just focus on more important stuff than discussing damn computer OSes.

Other companies do support Linux, for example: https://www.modartt.com/try and https://www.reaper.fm/download.php despite the smaller user base (people are now running PianoTeq on raspberry pi's)

JUCE, the framework used by Axe-Edit (and also Pianoteq) has support for Linux - https://juce.com/

It's not unreasonable for a Linux user to wonder about native support - however, @FractalAudio already responded a few years ago about this: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/linux-support.108934/#post-1303324

No harm in asking again.

You imply several far-reaching (and, in their generality, ridiculous) assumptions here. If you really do not care and find it baffling, why not leave alone a thread where people were helping each other before the bickering started?

Got you. This is just a point where reasonable people can differ. For me, it depends on the specifics of what is possible and necessary to get something running. I completely agree that there are huge benefits to using software on a supported OS.

Different folks have quite different ideas of what constitutes ice-skating uphill.

I have been using Linux professionally and personally for over 20 years. I have also had to use Windows (and MacOSX, for that matter) for several years professionally, and that, to me, is like ice-skating uphill, only to have to wade through swampland once you have arrived.

At that point, a minor inconvenience getting something to work on Linux is a far better option than even considering changing the OS or dual-booting. Where wine does not work (FM3-Edit), I have resorted to a Windows VM, which sucks, but at the same time, whenever I see Windows trying to wreck the system in the VM, I am very happy that it's just that, a VM... :)
You have proven my point.
Best user experience is a supported operating system.
VM or not.

Why?

The OS pride and the non-support actually have a relationship IME. There is the low key flex of "I made it work by doing command line stuff" often followed by how pedantic, terrible, or limited all other OS types are, exactly as we've seen here - and seen here before.

Linux dominates as a server OS for a lot of good reasons. It is the backbone of so much innovation... but 2023 will not be the "Year of the Linux Desktop Break thru" and neither will next year. Chromebooks are about as close as most may ever get, and the pandemic was a boon for them in school systems but that peak has passed too.

Wow... How condescending!

Nobody pulled you into this thread and made you read about it.

Someone who's primary computer use is Linux was asking if it was possible to use.

That's a fair question with fair responses.

You have proven my point.
Best user experience is a supported operating system.
VM or not.
Why would you think that? My post made it very clear that my opinion is quite the opposite, qualified by certain conditions. I surely did not prove your point in my post. Unless you changed it again in the meantime...

Wow... How condescending!

Nobody pulled you into this thread and made you read about it.

Someone who's primary computer use is Linux was asking if it was possible to use.

That's a fair question with fair responses.
No one "pulled you in" either. It's a forum! You are only half reading the thread it seems.

Linux Desktop users bash (shell pun not intended) everything else as often as not, as they did in this thread. I didn't start that, I just reflected it as funny and predictable, and even the guy who said we aren't much doing that.. went on to do exactly that in his response to me. Did you fail to note that? It was funny. You didn't chide him tho... Noted unix guy... No possible bias there? : )

I run Linux server flavors myself and have for decades. I was a Unix and then Linux admin, among other things, in the 90s and 00s professionally. I watched SUN mismanage itself out of relevance and then out of business with great sadness. SUN failing to get on the x86 bandwagon at the crucial pivot point is why Linux is the monster it is IMHO.

So this bashing of every other OS is dumb is indeed the 90s "Unix Pony Tail" outlook I grew up with in its new Linux edition. Does that joke ring a bell for you? I chuckle about it, then and now. The pony tails were wise and helpful, but also looking down their nose at the pesky x86 operating systems as glorified toys. I'm certainly not mad at anyone. I didn't have the hair for a pony tail.

Beyond that, all I'm telling people is to stop expecting support. It's not happening in general, unless you are a gamer, where some cool things are happening b/c it makes a ton of sense too. Pro Audio people and touring musicians want solutions, not an opportunity to do integration work between different tools. The lovable mess that is the "Linux ecosystem" all but de facto prevents app support at scale, but OSS licensing makes linux appliances logical, like a Steam Deck.

Be well.

Last edited:
Not expecting Linux support, but it would be nice. Just because Linux has been neglected in the pro audio space for a while doesn't immediately make it a bad option for any audio ever: it just means it's not great right now. Without asking for change how is it ever supposed to happen?

I do all of my music production on a Linux rig, and I don't want to talk about why I chose Linux over Windows or any of that stuff because nobody cares: it's all subjective anyway. I just hope one day my platform will be supported, but if it's not, oh well, we've made it this far without it.

+1 to the wish

Why would you think that? My post made it very clear that my opinion is quite the opposite, qualified by certain conditions. I surely did not prove your point in my post. Unless you changed it again in the meantime...
By using a Windows VM means you needed Windows OS.
I am not here to bash Linux I am providing my educated opinion on the matter.
Use a support OS for a better experience.

Last edited:
Not expecting Linux support, but it would be nice. Just because Linux has been neglected in the pro audio space for a while doesn't immediately make it a bad option for any audio ever: it just means it's not great right now. Without asking for change how is it ever supposed to happen?

I do all of my music production on a Linux rig, and I don't want to talk about why I chose Linux over Windows or any of that stuff because nobody cares: it's all subjective anyway. I just hope one day my platform will be supported, but if it's not, oh well, we've made it this far without it.

+1 to the wish
I hear you it is a subjective choice.

No one "pulled you in" either. It's a forum! You are only half reading the thread it seems.

Linux Desktop users bash (shell pun not intended) everything else as often as not, as they did in this thread. I didn't start that, I just reflected it as funny and predictable, and even the guy who said we aren't much doing that.. went on to do exactly that in his response to me. Did you fail to note that? It was funny. You didn't chide him tho... Noted unix guy... No possible bias there? : )

I run Linux server flavors myself and have for decades. I was a Unix and then Linux admin, among other things, in the 90s and 00s professionally. I watched SUN mismanage itself out of relevance and then out of business with great sadness. SUN failing to get on the x86 bandwagon at the crucial pivot point is why Linux is the monster it is IMHO.

So this bashing of every other OS is dumb is indeed the 90s "Unix Pony Tail" outlook I grew up with in its new Linux edition. Does that joke ring a bell for you? I chuckle about it, then and now. The pony tails were wise and helpful, but also looking down their nose at the pesky x86 operating systems as glorified toys. I'm certainly not mad at anyone. I didn't have the hair for a pony tail.

Beyond that, all I'm telling people is to stop expecting support. It's not happening in general, unless you are a gamer, where some cool things are happening b/c it makes a ton of sense too. Pro Audio people and touring musicians want solutions, not an opportunity to do integration work between different unrelated tools. The lovable mess that is the "Linux ecosystem" all but de facto prevents app support at scale, but OSS licensing makes linux appliances logical, like a Steam Deck.

Be well.
Dude. The “Unix Pony Tail” comment.
Priceless.
I worked with some of those people in my early career.
Those of you that have not do not know what condescending and smug really are.

Wine will never work due the Fractal Usb Driver being required to access your hardware. Highly unlikely it will work in a VM either. Standard USB devices (e.g. flash drives, etc.) "sort of" work in Wine and in some VMs (Virtual Box being one). Even standard usb devices often have issues on windows guests running on linux hosts. But since this is a specialized device with a specialized driver ... that is probably never gonna work on any windows emulation/vm.

I bet it would be a good amount of work to develop and support linux for what would likely be a small user base. I am sure that is what makes it improbable.
The editor is all sysex and Linux has universal midi usb drivers like macos

The editor is all sysex and Linux has universal midi usb drivers like macos
Linux for music production - Bwaaahaaahaaahaaaa. Next you'll be telling me it's great for gaming too. I use Linux everyday - on my servers.

So yes it has universal usb midi driver drivers just like Linux "supposedly has" universal support for graphics cards. I have a media server running opensuse that the fam uses in the living room. I had to do some serious hacking to get the original amd graphics card in there to work. In the end it kinda worked with our smart tv - but I still ended up punting for an nvidia card. Then I still had to hack to get that working right.

It works now. I also run Nextcloud on it for family-only private social media/collaboration and use it to collaborate with bandmates too. But
If I had to do it over again I would throw a windows machine at the media server and dedicate a separate server machine for Nextcloud, home automation, security cams, etc..

Linux is great for many things - music, media and gaming - not so much.

Back
Top Bottom