Not a Bug Axe-Edit has encountered a fatal error (communication time-out)

kimrkdals

I recently bought a used FX3 after using the Fractal FX2.

Regarding the symptoms:

When I leave the Fractal unit on for an extended period or manipulate parameters extensively, a window pops up as shown in the image, saying 'Communication Timeout', causing both the device and Axe-Edit to stop working.

When this window appears, there is no response even when adjusting parameters. I've tried changing the USB cable and USB ports, but it doesn't help.

Even when I emailed the Fractal customer center describing the issue in English, I only received formal replies. I've tried everything the responsible person suggested.

I am using Windows 10 as the operating system, and I connect the USB to the USB port on the back of the main unit. In the settings, both input and output are set to FX3

What's driving me crazy is that this issue has been occurring since I used the Fractal FX2, and now it's happening again with the FX3.

(Since the same issue occurs with the same computer, it seems to be a computer problem...)

It does sound like a computer problem based on what you said.

Without knowing what they had you do, these are the things I would check:
The last link is something I recommend for anyone who purchased a used unit.

USB hubs can be maddening. I ended up buying two good-quality powered USB-3.0 hubs for all my drives and peripherals except the modelers, then plugged my modelers directly into my computer in the first USB slots.

I’m on macOS, but IIRC, Windows has similar features: The power-management for the computer was letting the computer sleep and was then telling the drives to sleep and upon waking couldn’t find the modelers, so I told the computer to stay awake and only sleep the display and to let drives remain awake, and at that point both the modelers and the drives became a lot more stable, to the point I almost never have problems with them now.

Let us know how you progress.

causing both the device and Axe-Edit to stop working
This part sounds very interesting considering it's happened on 2 different hardware units.

I've been here a long time and don't ever recall seeing the hardware to stop working because of the editor...

I was initially thinking the issue was the USB device sleeping but that shouldn't cause the hardware to stop working.

When you say it's not working, what does that mean? No audio? Buttons/knobs don't respond, etc?

How long is your USB cable?

This part sounds very interesting considering it's happened on 2 different hardware units.

I've been here a long time and don't ever recall seeing the hardware to stop working because of the editor...

I was initially thinking the issue was the USB device sleeping but that shouldn't cause the hardware to stop working.

When you say it's not working, what does that mean? No audio? Buttons/knobs don't respond, etc?

How long is your USB cable?
Hi

Leaving the Fractal unit on for an extended period or running both the Fractal and Axe-Edit simultaneously causes a 'Communication Timeout' window to appear, resulting in Axe-Edit freezing.

Hi

Leaving the Fractal unit on for an extended period or running both the Fractal and Axe-Edit simultaneously causes a 'Communication Timeout' window to appear, resulting in Axe-Edit freezing.
The way I’d test it is to turn off any power-saver settings, don’t let the computer sleep for a couple days and see what happens.

My Fractals are on for weeks, even months, at a time, and my computer goes weeks without being restarted… it’s usually because I updated something when I update.

Only the display sleeps. It does it many times daily but nothing drops.

Hi

Ok - I'm trying to because you initially said the Axe Fx and the editor weren't working but now you're saying just Axe-Edit.

It's an important distinction.

If it's only the editor then it's likely the sleep / power saving on the computer causing it.

I had the same time out problem earlier when I had two USB-cables connected together for more lenght. There were also some other issues but can't remember what they were:rolleyes:. Now with one shorter cable, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom