Axe Edit - Computer connection

Paul2916

Inspired
Hi. New Ultra owner here completely lost regarding a) how to connect my Ultra to the Axe Edit software on my Apple laptop and b) how to access the Axe-exchange library. I just want some simple - non technical - instructions please...starting which midi device do I buy to connect the Ultra to the PC. Baby steps please. Thanks in anticipation.

Hello.
I don't use Apple, but I think it must be quite easy like with a normal PC. You need to buy a soundcard / sound module with midi in and midi out connections, and 2 midi cables (5 pins connectos). Later, plug soundcard midi out to Axe midi in and soundcard midi in to Axe midi out. Install the Axe Edit software and that's all. If Axe Edit doesn't connect with your Axe, you have to check the Axe ID. That ID (identification number) must be the same in Axe Ultra and in Axe Edit. In the manual you can read about it.

All the best.

If you just want to connect to Axe-Edit all you need is a MIDI connection. The recommended MIDI adapter is the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary. You also need two standard MIDI cables.

To get to Axe-Change open preset manager, click on the Axe-Change tab in the right-hand window, then click on Source.

Please do some research around here. I'm moving this to the 'connections' area, as you might have a bit of a learning curve here.

Look through how others are doing this, and also have a decent understanding of how MIDI works with your footpedal, Axe-edit, and the Axe-FX. I'm not trying to be insulting, but getting a A-B to C walkthrough means nothing if you don't understand it.

Ron.

I have to start somewhere Ron and asking questions is very much a part of research. I am a guitar player, not a tech guy, so this is very new territory for me.

I agree... M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 Anniversary Edition (and two midi cables). To access Axe-Change, log into Axe Edit and click on "preset manager". On the upper left half of the preset manager screen you will see Axe-Change tab. Click it, enter a user ID and a Password - I used the same ID and password as this site, however, you can use any ID and password. Thats pretty much it! Also, if you are interested in making recordings on your Mac, you can buy an 1/8" TRS male to dual 1/4" TS male "Y" cable (you can find one at Guitar Center or just about anywhere else. $8 - $25). You simply plug the two 1/4" plugs into Output 2 (left & right) on your Axe, and the 1/8" end plugs into the audio input (next to the headphones jack) on your Mac. With just this cable, you will be able to record your Axe (in stereo!!) directly to GarageBand. Good luck with everything!

Thanks sgplayer76, that's most helpful. I have ordered the M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 Anniversary Edition and have managed to access Axe Exchange now thanks to guys like you sharing the knowledge. I'm really grateful. Interesting to read about how to record with GarageBand too, I had no idea that you could. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom