Axe-Edit and Linux (Wine)

volt

Inspired
Just two little tips for Linux users to improve convenience.

After its installation Axe-Edit tries to open the release notes which are a pdf file. By default (on my system) Wine issues an error, at least as long as you have not installed a (Windows) pdf viewer in Wine. To avoid this and to use your default Linux pdf viewer, you simply have to save the following code snippet as a .reg file and import this into the Wine registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]
@="PDFfile"
"Content Type"="application/pdf"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\windows\\system32\\winebrowser -nohome \"%1\""

Also when you open the "About Axe-Edit" windows there is a link to the support page to check for updates. By default Wine would try to open links in its own browser. To use your standard Linux browser instead, save this code snippet as a .reg file and import it into the Wine registry:

Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\command]

Note: These modifications of the Wine registry do not affect Axe-Edit only but all Windows programs run in Wine. For example the links Fractal-Bot provides under the headlines "Need help?" and "Still stuck?" will now be opened in your Linux browser.

P.S. To import a .reg file to the Wine registry run "wine regedit <path to file>" (without quotes) using the console or open Wine RegEdit, choose "Registry" -> "Import Registry File" from the menu and select the desired .reg file. Before doing any changes to the registry it could be useful to backup your current Wine installation by copying the folder ".wine" or at least the files "system.reg" and "user.reg" to another location - just to be able to revert to the previous state, if something goes wrong or you do not like the mod.

Also when you open the "About Axe-Edit" windows there is a link to the support page to check for updates. By default Wine would try to open links in its own browser. To use your standard Linux browser instead, save this code snippet as a .reg file and import it into the Wine registry:

Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\command]
Strange, this works for me even without this entry. Just installed wine and right after that AxeEdit. I define my default browser with the global variable BROWSER, which seems to do the trick as well. Try it with
Code:
export BROWSER=firefox #or whatever you use
wine Axe-Edit.exe
and see if that does the trick as well.

Code:
export BROWSER=firefox
did not work for me.

I reverted my .reg mod and tried it from the console first. Then I put "export BROWSER=firefox" into ~/.bashrc and rebooted. Each time I tested with Fractal-Bot instead of Axe-Edit, but that should not make a difference. Both times Firefox did not start when clicking the "try our forum" link. Maybe my wine configuration has been changed or openSUSE does not respect the environment variable. BTW what Linux flavor do you use?

You mean what distro? I use Archlinux 64bit and the current wine version is 1.7.18. It's built without patches (so it's completely vanilla) with the config options --with-x --without-gstreamer --enable-win64, so nothing fancy there either.

I looked into it and looks like xdg is responsible for this, so wine seems to respect xdg settings. You can find out your current setting with e.g.
Code:
xdg-mime query default text/html
which will output something like firefox.desktop

This setting should be able to be done with every browser, e.g. a checkbox "This is my default browser" or something like that.

But if it still doesn't work for you and others without your registry modification, then you have provided a clean way to do this. The main thing is that it works! And Axe-Edit runs quite nicely with wine!

Last question: Do you also know how to get a legacy version running, e.g. the latest version which works with the Gen1 machines Standard and Ultra?

The main thing is that it works! And Axe-Edit runs quite nicely with wine!

Exactly :D

Last question: Do you also know how to get a legacy version running, e.g. the latest version which works with the Gen1 machines Standard and Ultra?

I indeed have a legacy version installed, also. It is the last version working with the Axe-Fx Ultra. I do not remember any specialties installing it apart from using a separate folder. Legacy and current Axe-Edit can be opened in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom