Axe crashing while recording (Windows 8.1)

T.B.B.

Inspired
Hey,

Using Cubase 7, and FW 16.02....

Axe crashes (high pitched noise...then no sound coming from the axe...have to restart the unit to get it working again)
anyone who got the same prob?

P.s. happens occasionally not always!

MFC is not connected...using Axe edit as well while playing recorded music through it..(though not Axe Manage)
its a fresh Windows install...though had the problem before
it happens just occasionally ...so didnt bother me too much
maybe bad USB cable? dont know what else..

I've got a lot of issues with USB 3.0! Check what you use! You should use a 2.0 socket.

Make sure all of your PC drivers are updated. Support (manufacturer) check for drivers. Windows 8 sucks with a capital S. Don't expect FW 16.02 to work all honky dory with 8.
If it does consider yourself lucky. My humble opinion would be to stick with WIndows 7, if possible. If you have no choice, then do as advised above and disable as much as you
can, Metro, Sidebar, all the annoying crap, that will crash and cripple audio processing, of ANY kind. Also use a HIGH quality USB cable, not the one that came with your printer
5 years ago, trust me, it makes a difference. You want a good sheilded USB cable and don't forget the most important part. UPDATED DRIVERS, New win 8 pc's will change drivers
like underwear, untill all is smooth.

Make sure all of your PC drivers are updated. Support (manufacturer) check for drivers. Windows 8 sucks with a capital S. Don't expect FW 16.02 to work all honky dory with 8.
If it does consider yourself lucky. My humble opinion would be to stick with WIndows 7, if possible. If you have no choice, then do as advised above and disable as much as you
can, Metro, Sidebar, all the annoying crap, that will crash and cripple audio processing, of ANY kind. Also use a HIGH quality USB cable, not the one that came with your printer
5 years ago, trust me, it makes a difference. You want a good sheilded USB cable and don't forget the most important part. UPDATED DRIVERS, New win 8 pc's will change drivers
like underwear, untill all is smooth.

WDM driver stack (the DirectSound drivers) aren't changed from Windows 7 to Windows 8(.1), every regular sound driver for Win7 x64 should work on Win8.1 x64. And the same for ASIO (not a Microsoft thing, so nothing changes between releases). Metro apps have the ability to bypass the software audio processing stack in favor of hardware offloading.
4 systems all with windows 8.1, 1 asus laptop windows 8.1, 1 windows 7 pro and 1 osx. No problems with any of them. has nothing to do with windows 8, 8.1 or metro. Will depend on the hardware for your audio, USB etc... Do not use usb 3. The USB 2.0 class-compliant driver provides two channels of 48k/24-bit audio from the computer to the Axe-Fx II, up to four channels from the Axe-Fx II to the computer, and two-way MIDI-over-USB. Using the axe as a soundcard? make sure your audio driver is up to date. Usb chipset drivers are up to date, New Axe-Fx usb 2.0 driver is installed. Set to 48K/24 bit. New usb 2.0 cable. Not an old cable you had laying around.
There are numerous posts for multiple operating systems having problems. Here is a recent one...http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/91924-recording-via-usb.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom