AXE/Apollo Aggregate Issues?

indeloon85

Inspired
Hello,

This post sort of lives in both the Axe FX II discussion as well as the III (since I've ordered my III and just waiting for delivery). I used to run my Axe FX II and my Apollo Twin as an aggregate for probably the better have of 4+ years with no issues.
Main use was the analog input to Apollo (process with UAD plugs) and record the DI via USB. I recently upgraded my interface back in June to the UAD X8 and attempted the same aggregate I/O though it seems like they don't like to play well in Pro Tools, though they work in Studio One. As I type this, I totally understand I should be hitting up about 5 different forums about this, but I was wondering/hoping that this issue might be my Axe FX II's support on my OS (Mojave 10.14.6) and that it'd be resolved with using the Axe FX III.
Anyone here have a similar setup and had any aggregate issues that were resolved when moving from II to III?

Thanks!

Aye!

Audio MIDI Setup can have some strange stuff checked sometimes that can lead to strange DAW behavior. Especially when dealing with aggregate audio land. First thangs first, I’d check to make sure Drift Correction within Audio MIDI Setup is unchecked for both the Apollo & Axe devices (if my DAW would ever hang / stall it almost always ended up being because drift correction got checked back on somehow). I’d also check within Audio MIDI Setup that the Apollo is the one that’s set to be the master clock of the aggregate device. If both of those aren’t the issue, sometimes deleting the Aggregate Device within Audio MIDI Setup completely and creating a fresh new one that also has a different name has helped too. Outside of using the Aggregate Device in your DAW, are you having any issues with either of the devices on their own / separately in your DAW (in your DAW when you set your Audio Device to be just the Axe or just the Apollo are there any issues there?)

Some other troubleshooting ideas that could help would be (1) A soft power reset of all 3 devices (computer, Apollo & Axe) with a specific sequence that’s worked well for me in the past – power off your computer completely, then the Axe Fx, then the Apollo, keep everything off for a minute, turn on your Apollo and wait till you hear it “click”, turn on the Axe and wait until it loads then enters a preset, then turn on your computer, after startup is complete go ahead and fire up your DAW & hope a kick was all it needed. (2) Change Axe buffer size setting around within the Axe panel’s settings pane.

Other miscellaneous but related questions would be A) are you up to date on the most recent UAD release? B) is the USB driver / FW of the Axe on the most recent version? C) is the issue DAW related (does it work on other DAW’s you might have access too?) D) if you’re computer is a Mac laptop, has your PRAM and/or NVRAM, or SMC been reset recently?

Last but not least, if it’s been awhile since your last complete computer wipe & fresh loading on of all your plugins and software from scratch, the audio cache within /Library might be wacky (this is a Google search away).

Hopefully some of this helps! Cheers.

Did your aggregate go over 32 inputs or outputs? Only Pro Tools HD can see over 32 I/Os, and your x8 might have gone over that limit itself, so PTs can't even see your AF3 I/Os because they might start at I/O 33 in Audio Midi Setup..

Back
Top Bottom