axe 3 speculation

To me :
It is amazing about wanting modifiers to control modifiers to modify controllers that control modifiers to modify more controllers...I mean really? But to each his own I guess.....I have no problem with whatever anyone wants....I'm very happy with what I have now if I can start using 20% of the xl+'s capabilities I'd be happy. Let me modify that with a controlled change-25%

Cliff has previously expressed frustration that Analog Devices have abandoned their development of the TigerSHARC processor line... I imagine that until someone makes a significantly more powerful DSP, there's nothing to reasonably base an AxeFX 3 on.

However, even if there were a more powerful DSP, it's really not clear what in the XL+ bears improving. There are some users crying for more work to be done on the effects (pitch block - please?), or for a MIDI controller with screens like the FAMC and RJM offerings, but those things have nothing to do with the processing power of the AxeFX.

What would you even want an AxeFX 3 to do for you? More "realistic", somehow? I guess Fractal could partner with makers of the Sustainiac to produce a feedback modeler! That would be cool! But even that would probably not depend on having more processing horsepower.

I could only think of alternate tuning and other Variax style features but maybe slamming in another dedicated DSP is all that this would take. Otherwise an XL/XL+ is hardware-wise so powerful it should last for gigs for the next 10 years or so, until guitar players have to do dubstep sounds on-stage or whatever.

I know FAS is more concerned with the tone of their products which is a good thing. Personally if there is an Axe FX II somewhere in the back of Cliffs mindscape I would love to see more attention to the U/I, Maybe a touch screen for the rack unit and button labeling for the MFC/ FX8, AX8.
Also effects packages, just like they have done with cab packs ready made algos that sound like your favorite effect without the hassle of having to build it, yes I'm lazy that way :D a little more plug and play with the effects side of FAS products would be a nice add!

I'm completely content with the sheer number of amps, cabs, mics and effects that are in the FAS line up of products and I personally will never use them all and I can't imagine that the vast majority ever will. In fact it's not even about using them all but having the option available there for the masses to use as they see fit.

Pickup and guitar modeling would be cool but sadly I don't think it would go over to well with Line 6 but it would be interesting to see what FAS could come up with that's for sure!

If Cliff has an epiphany with the modeling that can't be run on current hardware we may see a major revision. But since it's so close now I can't see such a huge Jump going to happen

There are definitely plenty items on folks' wish lists for the Axe FX for new models (amps, effects, cabs), allowing more parameters to be attached to modifiers and CPU optimizations which can benefit all FAS products.

Seriously though how much is enough. We all played guitars for years with an amp or maybe 2 and a pedalboard. Now we need what? 2,000 amps and 5,000 cabinets?

Aside from the reeeally exotic/unobtanium stuff, I've owned an incarnation of most amps in the box at one point or another.

To me :
It is amazing about wanting modifiers to control modifiers to modify controllers that control modifiers to modify more controllers...I mean really? But to each his own I guess.....I have no problem with whatever anyone wants....I'm very happy with what I have now if I can start using 20% of the xl+'s capabilities I'd be happy. Let me modify that with a controlled change-25%

Dude. Modifiers ARE.THE.WAY.
I only use a handful of presets really, maybe four tops on a given day. But I have to program each of them over and over again with slight variations on time based effects for the different tempos of each song. Once we get to set note values to modifiers (i.e., sweep a delay from dotted 8ths to 1/2 notes) and assign note values to other parameters that don't have them yet (i.e., reverb predelay & decay), I'll be doing cartwheels!

i would bet that these same conversations went on in the early axe models days. i wasn't around then but im sure the axe improved by leaps and bounds to where it is today. seems like there are always ongoing improvements to this beast.

Aside from the reeeally exotic/unobtanium stuff, I've owned an incarnation of most amps in the box at one point or another.

Dude. Modifiers ARE.THE.WAY.
I only use a handful of presets really, maybe four tops on a given day. But I have to program each of them over and over again with slight variations on time based effects for the different tempos of each song. Once we get to set note values to modifiers (i.e., sweep a delay from dotted 8ths to 1/2 notes) and assign note values to other parameters that don't have them yet (i.e., reverb predelay & decay), I'll be doing cartwheels!

OK-that's cool-that's why I said what I did, about no problems....Guess I am just old school-definitely old.....I don't use any of that stuff. I mean I do use fx but not to that degree f control But I can see how you and others that want to would benefit. I understand it all, just have no use for it.
I think FAS will come thru for you guys.....I may not use the stuff but I certainly would vote yes for you guys....

I do have a small wish but it's for axe edit--I really would love to be able to select preset and cab backups by contiguous numbers.
i.e. presets backup 1-22, or 5-19, etc, etc select able start and stop points in presets and cabs.

Bass Bass Bass... give some love to Bass dangnabbit! For some reason, you just cannot get a great bass sound easily from the Axe FX (Like you can with guitar). Conceptually, I should be able to choose the SVT amp, and 8X10 cab and almost immediately have a great Bass sound - That is not the case. ... Asides from that, Definately UI... Imagine being able to just go to the rack unit, double tap an empty block, and choose (say) 'Cab' ...Tap on an existing block and parameters display in another area of the screen and can be modified ...etc etc etc... Almost as good as Axedit and no PC!

Just leave the sound as it is :) Love it (for guitar)

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom