Axe-3 Output's

believer

Trying to figure out how to get my guitar on it's own output. I'm using the Axe as my sound card now instead of my UA Apollo 8. My Axe-3 is going direct to my Adams Ax 7's with output 1 being main out. I'm also using Studio One V6. My guitar is using front instrument input. So, my question is since the output one controls volume of my DAW and my guitar, how can I route it so I can control my guitar output separately the way I have it running now. Should I use output 2 even though there is nothing connected to the main out's?

to have a separate output, different physical outputs need to be connected.

you may want to put the USB volume on a Perform Page to at least control that easily, while out 1 will still control both.

The Axe, as a card, is fantastic but using the Apollo with Console is a thing of beauty. Especially when you connect with one cable via S/PDIF. Total control of record level and monitor level of both guitar and DAW. I've got mine also set up as aggregate devices and most of my presets have output 2 after the cab before ambient FX. Via USB I can then hear the FX but have one track dry, one with FX and DI at the same time.

Just turn down the OUT1 block's level, so that the level is comparable and then use the Output 1 knob to set. If its the other way around use the master fader in your DAW or your operating systems volume control for outside the DAW.

The Axe, as a card, is fantastic but using the Apollo with Console is a thing of beauty. Especially when you connect with one cable via S/PDIF. Total control of record level and monitor level of both guitar and DAW. I've got mine also set up as aggregate devices and most of my presets have output 2 after the cab before ambient FX. Via USB I can then hear the FX but have one track dry, one with FX and DI at the same time.
I would LOVE to learn more about how you’re setting the AFX3/Apollo/DAW connections up, what computer/DAW you’re using, etc. Getting ready to set up my recording studio again (after a looooong time off) and considering buying an Apollo Duo 2 as the mic/monitor control device.

FWIW, I’m running Ableton Suite on 2018 MacBook Pro (Thunderport 3) and have a Scarlett 18i6 laying about that I can use, (but I wonder if the Duo is going to be a huuuuge upgrade worth the cost).

I would LOVE to learn more about how you’re setting the AFX3/Apollo/DAW connections up, what computer/DAW you’re using, etc. Getting ready to set up my recording studio again (after a looooong time off) and considering buying an Apollo Duo 2 as the mic/monitor control device.

FWIW, I’m running Ableton Suite on 2018 MacBook Pro (Thunderport 3) and have a Scarlett 18i6 laying about that I can use, (but I wonder if the Duo is going to be a huuuuge upgrade worth the cost).

An Apollo is great...if you're using it primarily as a co-processor to run UA plugins. The plugins sound great and can offload some processing from your computer. If your interest is primarily the plugins, note that UA is transitioning away from locking them to an Apollo, so for many UA plugins you won't need an Apollo to run them. Unison is a terrific feature, but is of limited use to a guitarist.

As an interface to simply allow you to record mics in addition to your Axe-FX though, an Apollo is probably not an upgrade from your 18i6. To begin with, most Apollo models lack spdif out, which can be handy when you're using your interface in combination with an Axe-FX. You'll find some advice about using audio interfaces with an Axe-FX in the recording guide:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

I would LOVE to learn more about how you’re setting the AFX3/Apollo/DAW connections up...
My gear is a bit antiquated because it still works well. I have an Apollo Quad hooked to an old 2009 iMac. It has 32G RAM and a 10TB drive. I use Logic X and my Axe III is simply plugged in with one S/PDIF cable to the Apollo. On the UA monitoring software (Console) I have the S/PDIF channel as well as one stereo channel V1/V2 from Logic and another stereo channel V3/V4 from the computer itself.

I can then blend my Axe with Youtube jams or practicing with backing track software I use (Showbuddy) as well as blend the Axe with Logic without impacting the record level.

I rarely use the Unison feature and didn’t buy the UA for that. I do use it when tracking bass but I use an LA610 hardware unit for vocals. To me the beauty is in the Console monitoring software, easy connection. It is true some of these plugs are stellar. Fairchild 670 on drums, or a DBX 160 on base, the Capitol Reverb on vocals are worth the price of admission. I can’t say it’s value for guitar only but I do mixing and mastering and it’s a nice rig.

My downsides are I am stuck on old upgrades. Stuck on 9.14 on UAD, 10.13.6 on the iMac and 10.4.8 on Logic. I’m trying to ride this pony as long as I can because it will cost me probably 5K to 6K replacing my setup but I fear the time is near as I get more and more ‘your’e out of date’ messages.

Setting up both systems as aggregate devices is pretty straightforward. We jam a lot live into Logic via X32 Rack Mixer and experimenting with aggregate devices allowed us to track dry, wet, DI at the same time. There have been times we pulled a studio worthy track but it was saturated with either too much or wrong type FX. Not any more.

I can acquire a card replacement for the Quad I use to convert to Thunderbolt at a pretty reasonable price and get a bit more use out of it. Looking into computer replacement now. I have a bad habit of upgrade-itis and by the time I’m done configuring = $$$$.

As Elvis would say: "thankyouverymuch". I appreciate you taking the time to lay this all out. FWIW, you've probably gotten more than your money's worth out of the iMac – that said, quality old gear doesn't suddenly become crap because it's "out of date"...

I haven't started any live/vocal overdubs into Ableton Live yet, but I do want to ensure that the process can be as painless (and latency-free) as possible so I don't drive the singer crazy. So much for me to learn about!

I don't know about other folks but I'm real touchy about how loud I am when tracking. Both guitar and vocals. If I hear myself too loud I get self conscious and cut back (or screw up). The ability to record pretty hot but listen at a lower level lets me cut loose a bit.

Back
Top Bottom