Axe 2 review from a much than happy owner

dupere11497

Experienced
Ok! Here's what I know! I've been playing guitar for 23 years! My passion begun in the mid eightys where guitar heroes rule the world!! I would practice countless hours in hope of becoming the next Eddie, Vai, Satriani, Bratta, Lynch, those were my heroes! What inspired me, beside skills, technique and feeling, was the guitar tone of those guys out there!! From the very beginning, I was a tone chaser and ever was...until today!! Throughout those 23 years, I've experiment a lot regarding tone, amps, effects, I've own every amps, modelers, pedals you could imagine!!! I was something happy with my sound, but never totally satisfied!! And, while I'm not Steve Vai nor Petrucci, I have fingers and can play the damn guitar!! In 2009, I came accros and add in the Guitar World magazine featuring this blackbox claiming to be the next modeling generation or something, I then went like " Oh no, another Pod wants to be" But still, I then always try new things, so I went to take a look at the Fractal Audio Website!! Way before I listen to some sound samples, I see the price of this unit!! I remember how mad I was. Who the!"/$% this Cliff Chase think he is to sell a modeler for the price of a high end tube amp?? But at the same time, I was curious so I listen to the demos on the Fractal site!! I was impress, enough to buy a Standard the same day. It was in early 2009!! I first use my axe fx with studio monitor..I was shocked!! This was sounding like the guitar sounds I had in my head for all those years, and was never able to quite replicate with whatever gear I was using! I then bought an atomic reactor to pair with my axe fx, I was even more happy, because the sound I could get out of it was fuller because of the 12 inch speaker vs. studio monitors! And at the top of the cake, I could get the feel and respond of a real tube amp out of this digital box, I was a happy man... or I thought I was...until today!!!

Today, I drove 10 hours ( go and come back ) from my Montreal hometown to Fractal office in New Hampshire to purshase an Axe 2..for the same reasons I first bought the Standard.. I had not really big expectations as I was like 95% satisfied with my Standard...until I came home and plug the Axe 2!! This is the kind of moment you only have once or twice in a lifetime!! I began by playing some of the presets, new ones..Oh my god...that feel is incedible, it can't be real??!! For those of you who upgrade their ultras to firmware 11.0, you will understand what Cliff meant when he states there was a little of the G2 modeling on this firmware upgrade, and he was right... a little!! Because the feel is now freaking monstruous, it is 100% there! And the sound is incredible!! I've only played about 15 minutes going from a preset to another, I was sold!!! And I'm not a preset type of guy but those are already great out of the box!!! And what can I say about those analogue delays we all have been asking for a long time...lush, lush and lushious!!! The new amps sounds simply killer, especially the Camerons..to die for!!! What more can I say? The quest ends here for me, after 23 years of tone chasing, this is it!! One Axe to rule them all!! Thank you so much Cliff, I would have travel the world to get my Axe 2, Thank god, you're not in California..for me ;)

nice review! i'm still waiting for UPS to deliver mine today. how are you amplifying your axe fx II?

DAMN YOU that you're not in California! (where I would be
camped on your doorstep).

You confirm what we all hope for with Axe II.

Good for you that you made the trip. Otherwise you'd be
one of 300-400 fish competing for 3-4 grains of fishfood a day,
like the rest of us.

Last edited:
You jerk!! You should have never been able to get one!!!!! :)

I'm totally kidding. :)

Hey, are you playing direct to studio monitors or through a power amp and cab etc?
I'm just curious if your raving is from the direct sound. That is my hope. That going direct sounds THAT good.

thanks for the quick review,
Steve

nice review! i'm still waiting for UPS to deliver mine today. how are you amplifying your axe fx II?
I use a Rocktronj Velociy, pretty transparent, with poweramp sim on, and a Atomic passive cab with cab sims on...wich by the way are pretty much impressive, very 3 dimensional!!

So did all of you who have recieved and/or ordered the Axe2 for shipment drive straight to the Fractal headquarters? Or did I miss the sale?

So does that mean you're going to come over to my place with the AxeFX II so I can play test it before I get mine delivered from ToneMerchants which should be after I die from old age ? ;)

I think it's your turn to come over, bring Vance with you, but beware, once you try the beast, there is no turning back, waiting is gonna be much longer and crissement désagréable!! ;)

By the way, the new Conford MK50 is a real surprise!! I didn't like the Conford 100 that much, but obviously, Cliff really remodel all the amps, and this one is a killer!! A lot of sustain for liquid leads!! The arredondo Mods is impressive too! But again, the Cameron mods, both, are my new go for leads amps, as long with the Friedmans!! Oh, the new 6150 is awesome too...and the plexi..and...

I'll definitely bother him to come around Montreal soon. He's been dying to hear the beast for a long time. All he's ever heard are clips from the Ultra and some of the II.

As you said every day may become a painful and depressing experience after hearing it. That's scary!

Also you can brag you have THE very first Axe II in Canada unless Mark Day has been under obligations to hide the fact he already has one :eek: . People are going to be jealous!

I can't wait to hear how the SLO-100 sounds. It's been my go to amp on the AxeFX for the longest time.

I'm glad you finally got one. I'll be waiting to hear some clips.

The SLO is one of my favorite too, and sound especialy good with the redwirez Soldano cab sim now inclued!! The new cabs add a real vibe to the sound, a definetly wonderful update!

I said I was stoked for you and could wait a year for one and still be stoked for you..after reading that I relalise I'm as petty as the rest..FORTUNATE GIT!!!!!

:lol

So do you consider the G2 modelling in the II significantly better than the Standard/Ultra??

Also (forgive me for not knowing too much about the II so far), can the Standard/Ultra be upgraded to use the G2 modelling?

Hmm was trying to convince myself to go for a matrix amp to go with my ultra, but now im starting to lean towards just going for the axe 2 first.

Back
Top Bottom