Axe 2 Connected by SPDIF and USB

Legion

I just got the Axe 2 today and I'm setting it up. I've got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which I use as my audio interface/sound card. I have the Axe 2 running into it via SPDIF. I also have the Axe 2 hooked up to my PC via USB. I want the USB connection so I can use Axe Edit/Sync/Backup etc. But I don't want to use USB for audio. I want the audio to go only on SPDIF. Is there a way to do this?

As it is now, Pro Tools picks up the Axe 2 as the audio interface and when I play there's a weird interference in the sound. I'm thinking the interference could be from the SPDIF and USB audio signals both going to the PC. I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Does the Focusrite Pro 40 not offer AES/EBU? It is a more pure balanced signal if it is available to you.

No, it doesn't. But it does have both RCA style SPDIF and optical SPDIF. Which one do you think is better?

Maybe I don't know something here, but if they're digital signals, if it GETS there isn't it the same?? Or is this like, a clock issue (??)

I have a question about use of the digital outputs for recording. I am using an M-Audio Pro-Mix interface into Sonar X1 in Windows 7. The M-Audio does have AES/EBU as well as SPDIF lightpipe and coaxial. I'd like to use the best quality input for dry input recording to re-amp the track but would like to record if possible or at least monitor the processed signal when recording. I don't have a USB 2.0 card installed and am reluctant to upgrade as my understanding is that you can't run both USB 1.0 and 2.0 simultaneously and I need other devices on my computer. Is it possible to record the processed track via USB, and the dry via AES/EBU in the MOTU interface by selecting the appropriate inputs in the DAW? If so, would it be best to set up a global bypass to route either the output 1 or output 2 signal to send the 'dry' track or can the instrument input be selected somehow to do this. The global bypass idea would allow for a simple way to globally change the I/O for studio use as I also plan to use the Axe FX2 for live gigging with separate FOH and preamp feeds. Thanks.

Last edited:
The light pipe is a far better conduit over a stranded rca wire.

AES/EBU is Commercial Audio - SPDIF is a consumer grade audio product. Both work. One is just superior. If you have both available at both ends, might as well take the balanced commercial grade method and add the ability to pipe clock talk when applies.

AES3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AES/EBU embedded timecode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

S/PDIF is not really consumer grade it is the rca cable that is. If your using S/PDIF use a S/PDIF cable. Do not use a standard rca cable at the very least use the yellow video rca.

I've never heard that USB 1 and 2 can't run on the same system. I've seen systems where some ports are 1.1 and some are 2. Also 2.0 ports are backwards compatible with 1.1.

Back
Top Bottom